OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fresh install. How to move to USB?

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello!

I have just migrated from DDWRT to OpenWRT.

I installed OpenWrt 10.3.1 RC6, twice. The first time I was trying to auto-mount the USB drive and make the router use the usb drive as its main storage - basically, use the USB drive as the host for installed packeds.

I was not able to mount using luci (it just did not work). I was able to mount only by adding "mout etc etc" to startup scripts. But this only mounted the space for storage, while all packets would run and install in the available 5mb.

So, how can I make the USB drive to be mounted as root and be used for packets & auto-mounted?

The router is a WRT160NL, the hdd drive is a 60bg drive with a 128mb swap partition and the rest ext3.

Thank you!

forza.stiinta wrote:

So, how can I make the USB drive to be mounted as root and be used for packets & auto-mounted?

Look at Rootfs on External Storage (extroot) Wiki page.

Thank you very much!

I managed. However, under /etc/init.d/fstab I had to add a "sleep 20s", otherwise it would not work. Probably fstab tried to run to early.

I do have a little inconvenience, I haven't been able to find a proper way to fix this.

All works fine from my local network, but I cannot make it so that I can access from the inernet the following services:

- ssh access
- luci access
- transmission web gui
- pure-ftpd

all are working fine in LAN, but not on WAN.

Does it work in WLAN?
Regards, blackberry developers

(Last edited by jefbohn on 24 Dec 2011, 18:27)

Yes.  In my case it was a firewall configuration blocking all incoming connections.

The discussion might have continued from here.