OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dir-601 B1

The content of this topic has been archived between 3 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey Lobonse,
I have done all the hardware mod but i have a hard time compiling the firmware, so
could You please upload your working EXTROOT firmware so that i could donwload?

Thank You

(Last edited by austonpramodh on 26 Sep 2016, 18:37)

Hey, I sadly don't have the original buildroot, you might try chaos calmer (15.05) since openwrt claims https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_supported_15.05 it works on the b1. If not, maybe I could help with compile errors. Maybe. I'm sorta noob myself.

Hi again, I do have old copies of the .bin files:

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-dir-601-b1-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-dir-601-b1-squashfs-factory-NA.bin
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-dir-601-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I think they are working copies, let me know. if you need other modules ( which you likely will ) I believe I can't help you there, so if you need to compile your own version, let me know, MAYBE I can help.

(Last edited by lobonse on 3 Oct 2016, 00:50)

I just spent the last 3 days or so trying to install a compiled version of Chaos Calmer (15.05) on this router. Don't do it. As each release gets larger, it becomes harder to fit on a 4mb flash. So, I then reverted back to the stable, compiled Barrier Breaker ( r48549 ) which I recommend.

If you want a copy of the binaries/most packages ( those that will fit on the usb modded version, and didn't cause errors in compiling ) I can set you up with it. If there's interest, I'll post them if I can.

I wanted to return the original firmware and did:

root@OpenWrt:~# mtd -r write /tmp/web/dir601_revB_FW_201.bin firmware
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from /tmp/web/dir601_revB_FW_201.bin to firmware ...  [e]Failed to erase block
root@OpenWrt:~#
root@OpenWrt:~# reboot

Now power button is always yellow.
Whether it is possible to repair the firmware? or it's time to throw up my dir601?

(Last edited by kllaud on 12 Nov 2016, 20:37)

lobonse wrote:

I just spent the last 3 days or so trying to install a compiled version of Chaos Calmer (15.05) on this router. Don't do it. As each release gets larger, it becomes harder to fit on a 4mb flash. So, I then reverted back to the stable, compiled Barrier Breaker ( r48549 ) which I recommend.

Good news for those still interested in this router! It seems the problems lobonse encountered with the chaos calmer build (post #129) have been resolved. And it includes Luci!

Because I just created this account, I am not allowed to post links. If you go to this post of his (#127):

lobonse wrote:

Hey, I sadly don't have the original buildroot, you might try chaos calmer (15.05) since openwrt claims it works on the b1. If not, maybe I could help with compile errors. Maybe. I'm sorta noob myself.

follow his link to the list Devices supported by Chaos Calmer 15.05. Find the DIR-601 B1 row and click the View/Edit Data link. At the bottom, you'll see the Firmware OpenWrt Install URL. Unfortunately, to use the Stock firmware to flash you need the NA build. Copy the URL and paste it into your browser. Replace "factory.bin" with "factory-NA.bin". (NOTE: I had already flashed with a version that did not include Luci, thus I used the "sysupgrade.bin".) I am trying to set it up as a Routed Client now, I may need to install relayd. Haven't done exhaustive tests but it looks great so far. Thanks everyone!

(Last edited by miesch1 on 21 Dec 2017, 06:59)

The discussion might have continued from here.