OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bircked a TP-LINK TD-W8920G

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

TD-W8920G (rev 2.2): ADSL2+ WiFi Router (4 LAN Ports)
H/W:
CPU: Broadcom BCM6348SKFBG (256 mhz)
Switch: Marvell 88E6060
Flash: Spansion S29GL032A (4 meg)
Ram: Hynix HY57V28162 (16 meg)
WiFi: Atheros 5212 via MiniPCI
Serial console: yes
JTAG: present on board

The initial idea was to make a standard 1wan+3lan wifi router out of it and forget about adsl as wan.
In short - bircked it flashing "openwrt-96348GW-generic-squashfs-cfe.bin" via TFTP.
The device stopped responding totally (console too), only power led shines and switch leds blink at start.
I'd try to recover it by JTAG but somehow the onboard 14-pin header doesn't have a standard pinout.

Please help!
Anyone got a working JTAG pinout? Maybe there exists a correct-jtag-pins-finding-howto?
Where to get a flashimage for JTAG recovery? Maybe partial recovery and reflash via tftp will work?

(Last edited by Pointless on 22 Nov 2011, 08:15)

Any answers? I'm still confused even after reading general debricking...

What, there aren't any advices? I just don't believe in that... Should I kneel and beg for help to draw some attention to the topic or what??
Please help! Maybe I'm too lame and now got a bricked device, but silence in a place of answer isn't the best way to communicate, really.

(Last edited by Pointless on 25 Nov 2011, 19:26)

The recommendation for TP-Link units is always the same; install a serial cable.
There is no software-only way to recover them in case they're truly bricked.

If you cannot add a serial cable for whatever reason then rma the unit.

I have already installed the rs232 header, but the serial port stopped to work after I flashed the wrong firmware. There is no data output totally. Maybe the baudrate changed? At least on 115200-8-n-1 the output is zero.
So that's why I'm searching for a correct JTAG pinout for the device and a correct procedure to reflash it.
And what do you mean under "rma the unit"? To trash it ? Thanks a lot, but I need the device to be at least working as it was on original firmware, i.e. to restore it to unchanged state.
I've got serial logs from the device booting when it was on the original firmware, as well as the flashing process logs. If anyone needs this info, I can post these.

(Last edited by Pointless on 30 Nov 2011, 12:59)

The discussion might have continued from here.