OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WIFI Client bridge

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I setup a client connection between two netgear routers (WNDR 3700 & 3300). The 3700 as the client with OpenWRT and 3300 as the base with stock firmware.

First of all the WIFI works on both routers. I am able to connect to both routers if I put them in "access point" mode.

I set them up on the same subnet, SSID, channel, encryption type & encryption key.

If I do "iw dev wlan1 station dump":
Station 00:26:f2:e7:31:45 (on wlan1)
        inactive time:  26860 ms
        rx bytes:       537966
        rx packets:     2015
        tx bytes:       5695470
        tx packets:     8533
        signal:         -51 dBm
        tx bitrate:     130.0 MBit/s MCS 15

The log shows this:
Nov  5 02:17:40 receiver user.debug kernel: wlan1: authenticate with 00:26:f2:e7:31:45 (try 1)
Nov  5 02:17:40 receiver user.debug kernel: wlan1: authenticated
Nov  5 02:17:40 receiver user.debug kernel: wlan1: associate with 00:26:f2:e7:31:45 (try 1)
Nov  5 02:17:40 receiver user.debug kernel: wlan1: RX AssocResp from 00:26:f2:e7:31:45 (capab=0x11 status=0 aid=1)
Nov  5 02:17:40 receiver user.debug kernel: wlan1: associated

Meaning it should be connected...????  Though I cannot ping either router from the other or any devices connected to them.

I have tried a Linksys (Cisco) access point as the base with same results. Although while I was fiddling with it a couple of times connection was established. However when I turned the power off and turned it on again (without any setting changes) the devices refused to connect again.

However an old netgear router works with no problem as the base router.

Any body know what can possibly do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Last edited by Raman on 7 Nov 2011, 05:29)

I am not sure if this would help you, but it might point you in the right direction. I successfully managed to set up a brigde with WNDR3700 (OpenWRT 10.03.1-RC6) as the base-station and WNHD3004 (original) as the brigde. I am not sure if there are other differences between the 3300 and 3004 other than the router-functionality.

marstein,

Right direction? As in the physical direction of the device it self? If so both situated vertically on the stand can you tell me which way the devices should be facing each other?

Although I doubt its a signal problem as the devices are less than 5' apart during the test.

I did not mean it literally, just to point out that it might be done but that I was not sure if the 3300 was the right equipment for it.

marstein,

Sorry long sleepless nights tongue

Is it possible for you to post snippets of the 'network' and 'wireless' files pertaining to the bridge?

Thank you

Raman wrote:

marstein,

Sorry long sleepless nights tongue

Is it possible for you to post snippets of the 'network' and 'wireless' files pertaining to the bridge?

Thank you

Sorry, that would not be possible. Netgear have not opened up for SSH to the devices.

The discussion might have continued from here.