OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 Build / Basics / IPv6 / Squid / Nano

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was looking for a small WNDR3700 build to suit my needs that had a full suite of routing features but none of the extra fluff that seems to always come packaged in most generic images. Lucky for me, hnyman provided a great build for me to start from, but it still wasn't 100% of what I wanted.

I only do "router things" with my router. It is not a media or file server. It does, however, make for an excellent proxy server since it is already the single point of entry to my home network.
This build is mostly packaged as hnyman provides his, and what I based it from. I believe I may have only removed the FTPD then further added some additional iptables/kmod packages, squid, and mkfs tools. LuCI reports 1.39MB of free space for any additional tweaks/packages you feel like applying post-install.

I am currently running this on my router letting it serve as a transparent squid proxy with the cache residing on a mounted USB stick. All of hnyman's patches have been applied to this. Please see his thread if you'd like more info on that.

I hope some other people find this work useful and that it saves you some time. My goal is to provide a solid base that has a robust enough feature set to fully handle both IPv4/6 networks while not being loaded with so many optional packages as to leave zero room post-install for customization. I'll most likely be periodically updating from SVN and pushing new builds from the backfire branch. I currently have no intentions to build out of attitude adjustment.

All files and .config can be found here: http://gotr00t.us/openwrt/backfire/ar71xx/

Latest: 16 Dec 11 - r29557 (Diff From Prev)

(Last edited by Kline on 17 Dec 2011, 01:14)

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I also use squid at the gateway and it does a good job. Especially for wireless clients connected to it.

I tried polipo, which is light weight compared to squid, but it crashes too often.

The discussion might have continued from here.