OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Configure LAN port as WAN

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I understand that I could have spent a little more time looking up for resolution to my problem before posting here but I can't seem to find a right one.
Some hours ago I flashed Dynalink RTA1025W ADSL wireless router with OpenWRT and managed to make some basic changes, editing /etc/config/... but I have no knowledge how to check what ports does the OpenWrt firmware discovers on that router.  I do not need to use DSL capabilities of the router. I need to designate one of the four LAN ports as WAN port. As far as I understand I have to manage VLANs of those ports so one of the LAN ports should belong to a VLAN different than the other three LAN ports. The thing is I can't find where those "VLAN to interface" bindings are set in /etc/config/.
I hope I stated my problem correctly. I'm really new to this logic of configuration but I believe that OpenWRT will become my favorite networking firmware.

(Last edited by Zhekov on 14 Oct 2011, 23:21)

That varies from device to device and on some its not possible at all. Paste the current /etc/config/network

Thank you for the quick reply jow,
Here is the /etc/config/network printout

config interface loopback
        option ifname    lo
        option proto      static
        option ipaddr    127.0.0.1
        option netmask 255.0.0.0

config interface lan
        option type       bridge
        option ifname   eth1
        option proto     static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

config interface wan
        option ifname   eth0
        option proto    pppoe
        option ifname   eth0
        option username ******
        option password ******
        option timeout  10
        option macaddr  00:21:2S:C5:F7:F6

(Last edited by Zhekov on 15 Oct 2011, 07:58)

Looks like your device has no configurable switch so its impossible to separate a port.

Well I guess I will retire this router and use it for spare parts. Or is it possible to use eth1 as WAN port and since the wireless is working, use it just for sharing internet with wireless clients only?

Yes, just plug eth1 into your network and you got yourself a wireless bridge to extend your network.

The discussion might have continued from here.