OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Compile and install on Aztech HW550-3G

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Apr 2018 and 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi! I'd like to try OpenWrt on this router (Aztech HW550-3G) but for me this is the first time I install OpenWrt from scratch (I had only experiences on Foneras).
How can I do this? Where can I find informations?
Any help would be very appreciated smile

Thank you in advance

I installed and have latest buldroot working.
I issued make menuconfig and selected target (Ralink RT288X/RT305X) and subtarget (RT305X) but now I don't know what to select before building the image and I don't even know how to flash the image...

Please help me

the wiki is a decent source of information.

MBS wrote:

the wiki is a decent source of information.

I've already checked the wiki but this device is not listed among compatible hardware (even if it should be supported: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28986). I searched for a pre-made image but there are not images available for download, there is only for RT2888X.
It is not clear to me if I have to flash via web, tftp or what sad

Just checked in trunk, and this device seems supported:

config RT305X_MACH_HW550_3G
    bool "Aztech HW550-3G support"

So I guess you just choose this and build an image that you can most likely flash via web.
More information on how to build from trunk is in the wiki. It might also help to search in dev.openwrt.org for the changesets that brought support of your device.

I read in dev this https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 09976.html so I suppose it is included in trunk now but I have only "default" target profile.
Now I'm trying to compile anyway with some basic package selected and see what happens.

I'm not sure if you will get to satisfying results this way, since you miss out the board specific stuff. I'm not too experienced with the buildroot, so I don't see a legal way to select the yet existing target profile of your device. What I would do is looking for the Kconfig- and Makefile which points to that "default" target profile stuff and change it to the Kconfig and Makefile mentioned here.

I searched every single page that talks about hw550-3g and I haven't found a target profile for my device.
I have doubt about the patch you mentioned because it seemed to me (reading mailing list) it was added in trunk and I taught it was outdated (it is 7 months old).
I'll try to apply the patch anyway hoping not to brick the device...
Do you know where I can find a list of basic packages I have to include before building final image?

UPDATE:
I built the image successfully. It is 3.3Mb and have LuCi and other basic stuffs included. Stock upgrade firmware functionality doesn't work, I'm trying to figure out how to flash the openwrt with alternative systems.

(Last edited by erriko on 29 Sep 2011, 19:02)

I would also recommend to backup your flash before you flash anything unstable.
If you have a current trunk, you don't need to apply that patch. I just wanted to point out where it is located and what it contains. You need to get to know how the buildroot configuration files work, so you can include those files in the patch.

I learned a lot in these days and I managed to build my custom firmware, compile the SDK and packets. It is very funny and an important technical experience.
Thanks to this I installed OpenWrt trunk on my Fonera 2.0n via ssh flashing, but I'm still stucked with HW550-3G cause I don't know how to flash. The only post that talks about it refers to serial but I didn't understood if it is mandatory or they were working with it only for the initial board approach while ethernet wasn't working (now it has been fixed).

To flash the Aztech HW550-3G (from the default Ralink firmware) w/o a serial cable:

1. Connect to CLI (via telnet or ssh)
2. cd /tmp
3. wget [http/ftp-url-to-image-file]
4. mtd_write -r write [image-file] /dev/mtd3
5. wait for router to reboot and OpenWrt to firstboot

Note that the Ralink firmware on the Aztech HW550-3G uses "mtd_write" instead of "mtd".  Also, double check the mtd partition you are writing to (cat /proc/mtd).  You want to write to the "linux" partition (I'm pretty sure it's /dev/mtd3).

Regards,
Layne

Thank you very much LinkZ, you saved me. I was going crazy cause I didn't find any info about that. I tried upgrading via telnet but, as you pointed out, mtd didn't work.
I'm going to flash right now! wink

nope, there is not linux partition.

this is the output:

# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00030000 00010000 "Bootloader"
mtd1: 00010000 00010000 "Config"
mtd2: 00010000 00010000 "Factory"
mtd3: 00180000 00010000 "Kernel"
mtd4: 00580000 00010000 "RootFS"
mtd5: 000b0000 00010000 "aztechjffs2"
mtd6: 00800000 00010000 "wholeImage"

kernel = linux

Use /dev/mtd3.

I thought the same and I made as you said above (mtd3). Unfortunately something went wrong and the device is bricked. Now it is unreachable and it satays with power and 3g led on and nothing else.
I tried to access via tftp (as with fonera 2.0n) but nothing. I think it is recoverable with an emergency mode (I don't know if this device has it) or via serial but I really don't know how to build a serial sad

Welcome to the club, unfortunately mine is bricked as well.

The console is easily accessible through the 4 pin connector on the right hand side of the PCB. Pinout (V,RX,TX,GND) from top, I used to connect through a Nokia CA-42 data cable. Give it a try. Good luck!

PCB closeup: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/cimg2329dt.jpg/

I'll try but I am not confortable enough with the hardware side. sad
Thank you for your suggestion.

What image did you flash to the router?

You should be able to recover it easily by using a serial cable and flashing via the tftp in the bootloader (option 2 at boot).

BTW - you don't have to build a serial.  Just search eBay for PL2303 (or rs232-ttl USB) and you'll find plenty for a few bucks.

(Last edited by LinkZ on 5 Oct 2011, 16:36)

Does anyone has a working example to convince me to try I don't want to brick my device...

Sorry to bump an old thread I faced a few problems trying to get OpenWRT over to this device.
1)I am unable to create a profile for this target in the buildroot. I used a similar machine's template and change the target but built root (trunk) refuse to display the profile in menuconfig

Thanks for being unclear about everything, now I have another brick device.

Anyone has the dump of the uboot?
Nvr mind I got an exchange.

(Last edited by alphasparc on 21 Mar 2012, 15:18)

hello everyone, i owned HW550-3G and would like to install open wrt. does anyone have an image that can be flashed to the unit? I've tried looking at the trunk same as erriko did but didn't found one and been following the thread for HW550-3G. is there anyone here with HW550-3G having Open WRT running already in the unit? please help.. thank you..

Yes check the wiki
The build is available in trunk.
You have to download the buildroot and manually compile the firmware.
Everything is working although wireless sucks.
The only method I tried which works is via tftp the firmware over to the device.

(Last edited by alphasparc on 21 Mar 2012, 15:19)