OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1.8 remote access problem

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1.8 router with OpenWRT on it.

It works very good and quite stable to PC which is directly connected through cable and other notebooks on WiFi. Also, the web configuration through LuCI and Dropbear (SSH) works good but only on LAN. If i try to connect remotely SSH just drops the connection (using PuTTY) - "Network error: Connection refused". Also, i have tried with connect to SSH (port 22) from my android phone but the result is the same - "Connection Lost. domain.name/ip.address - Connection refused".

Also, i have forwarded the Remote Desktop port to connect to my home desktop PC from my work PC. But there are no success also.

May be there are any restrictions to connect remotely by default? I have searched in the OpenWRT forum, on Google also, but i have not found anything useful yet.

Looking forward to hear any solution, please.

add this to your /etc/config/firewall

config 'rule'
        option 'target' 'ACCEPT'
        option '_name' 'web'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcp'
        option 'dest_port' '80'

config 'rule'
        option 'target' 'ACCEPT'
        option '_name' 'ssh'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcp'
        option 'dest_port' '22'

default firewall block all incoming connection from wan..you can easily add this through Luci firewall gui..

(Last edited by jefbuan on 19 Sep 2011, 14:14)

Is it necessary to open web (port 80) access through WAN to use SSH from remote? Because i have added the second rule only using ssh (on local LAN) using 'vi' and have restarted 'firewall' process. But i still can not connect remotely...
I would not prefer to open web port (port 80) for public access.

Thank you jefbuan, finally i have solved this issue regarding your recommendation. And without port:80 opening!

CASE CLOSED

Can you tell me how you solved the SSH port issue ?
I have opened port 22, but still got connection refused.

(Last edited by kaloyan_petrov on 25 Aug 2014, 20:02)

Just add the rule and that's it. Do you really have public ip on wan port? Maybe your ISP blocks port 22. Try to edit /etc/config/dropbear and cange ssh to other port, such as 2222 and open port 2222. This will affect your port on lan side too, but it is easier to configure.

If your port is properly open you can test on the grc shields up page (google).

The discussion might have continued from here.