OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installing OpenWRT in a TP-Link TL-WR743ND

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm trying to install OpenWRT in a TP-Link TL-WR743ND.

I've downloaded OpenWrt Buildroot and applied the patch available at https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/10057

The patch applied cleanly.

I expected to see a "TP-LINK TL-WR743ND" target profile to choose inside "make menuconfig" but there was none so I choose "TP-LINK TL-WR741ND v1".

The compiling process produced a "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-factory.bin" file. When I tried to upgrade the router firmware via web I got the following error message:

"Error code: 18005
[18:03:38]    Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

Any ideas on how to proceed and/or further debug this issue?

There should be a profile called TP-LINK TL-WR743ND v1 if the patch was applied properly. Check your target/linux/ar71xx/generic/profiles/tp-link.mk for the following entry:

define Profile/TLWR743NDV1 
     75            NAME:=TP-LINK TL-WR743ND v1 
     76            PACKAGES:= 
     77    endef 
     79    define Profile/TLWR743NDV1/Description 
     80            Package set optimized for the TP-LINK TL-WR743ND v1. 
     81    endef 
     83    $(eval $(call Profile,TLWR743NDV1))

My "target/linux/ar71xx/generic/profiles/tp-link.mk" was already ok but I had no TL-WR743ND available inside "make menuconfig".

I've just tried running "make distclean; make menuconfig" and I finally got the TL-WR743ND target option inside "make menuconfig". I believe the problem was that I runned "make menuconfig" once before applying the 743 patch.

I will recompile everything again and will report back.

Thanks for your help MBS.

There is a Chinese version of WR-743N router which includes a USB port for 3G dongle.  Does anybody know anything about it?

The discussion might have continued from here.