OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi, Keith:
Thank you for your direction.  I found the web page after looking around your web site before see your latest reply.
The main problem I have right now is that I can see the log of the booting progress came out from 703n but when I see "autoboot after one second" or something like that, I cannot stop the boot process by type tpl .  When I push the key "p" I noticed some strange character come out so it did something but the boot continues.  I don't know if this because you are using PL2103 but I use a Nokia cable with PL2303.  Maybe the level are not exactly what 703n expected.  I read that some people using a 10k resister for pull up.  However, they are using it for tx not the rx and my tx pin works fine because I can see the output.  In any case, thank you for your detailed explanation and let me know if there's anything I can try.

lizby wrote:

twinclouds--I got a CA-42 to work on the wr703n.  Very briefly, though, before the pads pulled up, even though I used 30 awg kynar wire and was trying to handle it very carefully.  Now I need to see if I can get sufficient magnification to see if I can scrape a trace and retry.  For my next one I'm going to see if I can figure a way to spring-clamp connections to the RX & TX to try to avoid pulling up the pads.

Now, my wish for an enhanced version of this device (without modding):  a second usb, 8mb flash, 64mb ram, through-holes for the serial so that one can solder a header on.  I'd pay a whole extra $5.  (Thanks, JamesA, for documenting your very nice mod.)

Hi, lizby:
When you using the CA-42, were you able to stop the booting process by type tpl?  I couldn't.
Seems we are in the same boat.  The pads are too small to work with.  I pulled out one pad as well in my first device but even both pads are fine on my second one, I still got the same results.
My experience is that you probably should use smaller gauge wire.  I believe #34 will be the right size.  #30 is still too thick, I think.  I also noticed that the two pads are actually connected to the components near by.  I verified with my new router so it should not be a big problem.
If you have friends in China, there are people can "upgrade" the flash, RAM and put the TTL connection by doing hardware mod for about 10 USD.  They said it is not so difficult but I would never try it myself.

I had the same issue with getting autoboot to stop until I figured out that I had to type the "t" in "tpl" immediately after applying power. I really have to have my hands ready as soon as I apply power or I miss it and have to retry.

As to the serial port pads on the 703, my soldering ace here at work decided to solder directly to the ends of the attached components instead of to the pads themselves since the pads are so easy to pull up.

Cheers.

>solder directly to the ends of the attached components

I thought the TP IN was connected to the nearby component, but couldn't tell about TP Out.  I didn't have sufficiently good magnification to tell.  If someone could provide clear high-resolution, high-magnification photos, that would help.  I'm sure there would be sufficient mechanical strength if one could solder to the end of a component.

@twinclouds--I didn't get as far as trying to stop the boot.  I got to the openwrt prompt, and was about to try to redo /etc/config/network (which I had mangled) when the pad lifted.  Now, like you, I have output from the 703n, but can't input.

(Last edited by lizby on 21 Jan 2012, 02:18)

lizby wrote:

>solder directly to the ends of the attached components

I thought the TP IN was connected to the nearby component, but couldn't tell about TP Out.  I didn't have sufficiently good magnification to tell.  If someone could provide clear high-resolution, high-magnification photos, that would help.  I'm sure there would be sufficient mechanical strength if one could solder to the end of a component.

@twinclouds--I didn't get as far as trying to stop the boot.  I got to the openwrt prompt, and was about to try to redo /etc/config/network (which I had mangled) when the pad lifted.  Now, like you, I have output from the 703n, but can't input.

lizby:
This is a good photo of 703n pc board:
http://wiki.acemonstertoys.org/images/d … 3n_top.jpg originally from here http://wiki.acemonstertoys.org/Tp-link_router
From the photo, You can see the TP-In is connected to C57/R82 (they are connected).  The TP-OUT is a little difficult to see, but if you look carefully, it is connected one end of C55.

Edit:  O.K. It's all fine now.  The problem was that I used wrong ground point.  I thought the case of the ethernet connector is grounded.  Actually, it is not.  Once I wired the ground wire of the serial interface to the true ground, everything is find now.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 23 Jan 2012, 12:43)

Excellent photo, thank you.  I need to file down an iron tip, but I think I can solder that with the new magnifying + LED glasses I got.  I won't get back to the device until tomorrow, so I'll try it then.

Glad you got your problem fixed.

(Last edited by lizby on 21 Jan 2012, 14:40)

mrzaphodb wrote:

I posted a "how-to" with lots of pictures showing how I added a serial port to the WR703 along with my choice for the level-shifter and how I hook it up. The how-to is here:

I found that going through the process of getting a working serial console for at least one of my 703's has made me a lot more comfortable about creating and testing builds. No matter how bad the build is, I still have access to uboot and can simply reflash with a "non-bricking" image. Once I know I have a good working image, I can apply the sysupgrade version of that image to my other 703's that don't have the serial port.

BTW..the other case where you flash with the squashfs-factory.bin version of the image is when you flash a new 703 that still has the TP-link factory firmware. After that, use the squashfs-factory.bin images when flashing via uboot/tftpboot and the squashfs-sysupgrade.bin images when flashing using the sysupgrade utility from within the openwrt running image on the target 703.

Cheers!

-Keith

Keith:
Thanks.  Everything are working now.  I flashed a image that I compiled with USB support and luci.  Still I have about 600k left. 
As for flash with the serial console, should I always use the factory image?  I think the sysupdate image is only for web/SSH interface.  Is this true?

Fancy sharing your build twinclouds? Sounds like just what i need as a base!

JamesA wrote:

Fancy sharing your build twinclouds? Sounds like just what i need as a base!

No problem.  Please PM me to let me know your email address.

hi..
    on intalling the following 

opkg install kmod-usb-serial-wwan
give the following error 
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-wwan:
*      kernel (= 2.6.39.4-1-937f5480fc4be62c7bf5eb4a7622935a) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-wwan.

opkg install kmod-usb-serial-option
gives the following error
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-option:
*      kernel (= 2.6.39.4-1-937f5480fc4be62c7bf5eb4a7622935a) *        kernel (= 2.6.39.4-1-937f5480fc4be62c7bf5eb4a7622935a) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-option.

Also I have a 3g USB data card
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
EC1260 Wireless Data Modem HSD USB Card

tried a lot but not able to connect

following is the /etc/config/network file
config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'ppp0'
        option 'proto' '3g'
        option 'device' '/dev/ttyUSB0'
        option 'username' '9320778374'
        option 'password' '9320778374'

also update the /etc/modules.d/60-usb-serial
cat /etc/modules.d/60-usb-serial
usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x140b maxSize=2048

can any one help

I got the solution there was a problem in the kernel I installed it again and the the
packages got installed kmod-usb-serial-wwan and kmod-usb-serial-option

(Last edited by catchmahesh on 26 Jan 2012, 04:45)

>Keith:
>Thanks.  Everything are working now.  I flashed a image that I compiled with USB support and luci.  Still I have about 600k left. 
>As for flash with the serial console, should I always use the factory image?  I think the sysupdate image is only for web/SSH interface.  Is this true?

Yes, only use the *.factory.bin when flashing from serial (uboot) and when flashing a new unit using the TP-link software firmware update web menu item. Use the
*.sysupgrade.bin version when upgrading using the sysupgrade command line utility.

Cheers,

Keith

hi..
trying hard to get connected to 3g, my USB 3g data card is of HUAWEI EC1260
following is the /etc/config/network file

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'pppoe'
        option 'username' 'th_thakwani'
        option 'password' 'pwd11mar'
        option 'service' 'hns'
        option 'timeout' '10'

config 'interface' 'ppp0'
        option 'ifname' 'ppp0'
        option 'proto' '3g'
        option 'apn' 'rcomwap'
        option 'service' 'umts'

I use ifup ppp0 so that the router gets connected to the 3g USB data modem

but in the logread it gives message

unrecognized option '/dev/ttyUSB0'

is there any other device type to be selected

I have also scanned through the http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle, but no success

can any one help

Hi catchmahesh,

> unrecognized option '/dev/ttyUSB0'
>is there any other device type to be selected

If it is working, you can run "comgt" and see modem status, but I think that you need install usb_modeswitch (if no present yet) before. After it and reboot, run "dmesg" and look for:

OpenWrt kern.info kernel: [   24.830000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

or

OpenWrt user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.0: Manufacturer= etc etc etc

1-1:1.0 -> last number say ttyUSB0.

You will see a line like this for each port that has the modem. If no information available about your modem, try until find correct port.

On the other hand, I prefer call it "wan2" on interface for example (that talk about boundary), different that ifname (that talk about type).

Regards.

(Last edited by almursi on 26 Jan 2012, 07:24)

Keith or anyone:
Do you know how to find the memory map of 703n or what it is?   I try to understand what are steps in flashing doing.  Is the flash located around 9F020000 and where is it start and end?  I googled but cannot find much information.  In that regards, I didn't find these on any tp-link either.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 26 Jan 2012, 07:40)

hi.. almursi
as adviced
after execution of comgt
Trying list of devices
Unable to locate default devices, try -d

after execution of comgt -d /dev/ttyUSB0
Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB0

dmesg did not display message
kern.info kernel: [   24.830000] ....

logread message
OpenWrt user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.0: Manufacturer=HUAÿWEI_TECHNOLOGIES Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

following packages are installed required for 3g
luci-proto-3g
luci-proto-ppp
kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-ohci
kmod-usb-serial
kmod-usb-serial-option
usb-modeswitch
usb-modeswitch-data

please help

catchmahesh wrote:

Hi, that's strange... Another package that you need is libusb, and kmod-usb2 (built-in on last trunk).

Your modem seem with full support on usb_modeswitch, but check (in case that this is not a package dependencies problem): http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit … wei+ec1260

Regards.

Hello.

I installed Open-WRT in one beauty of this, but now I would like to go back to Tp-Link original firmware...

How should I proceed. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Pplucky wrote:

Hello.

I installed Open-WRT in one beauty of this, but now I would like to go back to Tp-Link original firmware...

Thanks in advance.

yep. did it yesterday. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall
download tp-link firmware. extract it from the rar. copy it with winscp to /tmp of 703n and connect with ssh and

cd /tmp
mtd -r write /tmp/original_firmware.bin firmware

now wait untuil router reboots with tp-link fw.

maurer wrote:
Pplucky wrote:

Hello.

Thanks in advance.

yep. did it yesterday. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall
download tp-link firmware. extract it from the rar. copy it with winscp to /tmp of 703n and connect with ssh and

cd /tmp
mtd -r write /tmp/original_firmware.bin firmware

now wait untuil router reboots with tp-link fw.

Btw, where did u download the original firmware in chinese from? Here: http://www.tp-link.com.cn/downloadfiles … 104462.rar ?

(Last edited by Pplucky on 26 Jan 2012, 12:44)

almursi wrote:
catchmahesh wrote:

Hi, that's strange... Another package that you need is libusb, and kmod-usb2 (built-in on last trunk).

Your modem seem with full support on usb_modeswitch, but check (in case that this is not a package dependencies problem): http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit … wei+ec1260

Regards.

The packages libusb, kmod-usb2 were already installed

is there any issue with the /etc/config/network

here is script

config 'interface' 'wan2'
        option 'ifname' 'ppp0'
        option 'proto' '3g'
        option 'apn' 'rcomwap'
        option 'service' 'umts'

also the /etc/modules.d/60-usb-serial script
usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x140c maxSize=4096

do you want to have a look on any other script please let me know

twinclouds wrote:

Do you know how to find the memory map of 703n or what it is?

This from dmesg might help:

[    0.480000] 5 tp-link partitions found on MTD device spi0.0
[    0.480000] Creating 5 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
[    0.490000] 0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "u-boot"
[    0.490000] 0x000000020000-0x0000000f5788 : "kernel"
[    0.500000] mtd: partition "kernel" must either start or end on erase block b
[    0.510000] 0x0000000f5788-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs"
[    0.520000] mtd: partition "rootfs" must either start or end on erase block b
[    0.530000] mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
[    0.530000] mtd: partition "rootfs_data" created automatically, ofs=2E0000, l
[    0.540000] 0x0000002e0000-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs_data"
[    0.550000] 0x0000003f0000-0x000000400000 : "art"
[    0.550000] 0x000000020000-0x0000003f0000 : "firmware"

So, as I understand it, "firmware" contains everything but "art" (and "u-boot", of course), so contains "kernel", "rootfs", and "rootfs_data" (which is also contained in "rootfs".

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, or if it helps.

catchmahesh wrote:

also the /etc/modules.d/60-usb-serial script
usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x140c maxSize=4096

Hi, In 60-usb-serial script I don't think that need nothing (now). I think it's definitely a configuration problem with usb_modeswitch (and 0x140c). Reading the thread (I put before) it seems that there was confusion between different modems and Josh could not get the information to correct the problem.

if you are using a Linux system on your computer, you can do from there. If not, you need to install the package usbutils and follow the process to identify the modem and modify scripts (Josh explains the steps in the thread that links you) and perhaps it is better that you consult on usb_modeswitch forum (are always interested in getting new configurations). Regards.

hi.. almursi
      I did the reflashing again and the router now identifies the USB data card following is the log, but not able to dial

[   13.050000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[   13.050000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[   13.190000] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[   13.200000] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[   13.200000] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-0:1.0: Manufacturer=Linux_2.6.39.4_ehci_hcd Product=Atheros_AR91xx_built-in_EHCI_controller Serial=ar71xx-ehci
user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.0: Manufacturer=HUAÿWEI_TECHNOLOGIES Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.0: Selecting /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1446 for mode switching
syslog.notice usb_modeswitch: switching 12d1:1446 (HUA?WEI TECHNOLOGIES: HUAWEI Mobile)
[   16.630000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[   20.570000] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device number 3 using ar71xx-ehci
[   20.750000] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   20.750000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[   20.770000] option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   20.770000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[   20.790000] option 1-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   20.790000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2

now as per my network script
config 'interface' 'ppp0'
          option 'ifname' 'ppp0'
          option 'proto' '3g'
          option 'apn' 'rcomwap'
          option 'service' 'umts'
          option 'username' '9321265777'
          option 'password' '9321265777'

and the 3g.chat script as below
ABORT   BUSY
ABORT   'NO CARRIER'
ABORT   ERROR
REPORT  CONNECT
TIMEOUT 10
""      "AT&F"
OK      "ATE1"
OK      'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","$USE_APN"'
SAY     "Calling UMTS/GPRS"
TIMEOUT 30
OK      "ATD*99***1#"
CONNECT ' '
""      "AT+CSQ"
when the router connects its give COMMAND NOT SUPPORT see the system log

user.notice 3g-hotplug: Starting interface ppp0 for device ttyUSB0
user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.1: Manufacturer=HUAÿWEI_TECHNOLOGIES Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.2: Manufacturer=HUAÿWEI_TECHNOLOGIES Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
OpenWrt user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.3: Manufacturer=HUAÿWEI_TECHNOLOGIES Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
daemon.notice pppd[1625]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
local2.info chat[1630]: abort on (BUSY)
local2.info chat[1630]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
local2.info chat[1630]: abort on (ERROR)
local2.info chat[1630]: report (CONNECT)
local2.info chat[1630]: timeout set to 10 seconds
local2.info chat[1630]: send (AT&F^M)
local2.info chat[1630]: expect (OK)
local2.info chat[1630]: ^M
local2.info chat[1630]: ^RSSILVL: 20^M
local2.info chat[1630]: AT&F^M^M
local2.info chat[1630]: OK
local2.info chat[1630]:  -- got it
local2.info chat[1630]: send (ATE1^M)
local2.info chat[1630]: ATE1^M^M
local2.info chat[1630]: OK
local2.info chat[1630]:  -- got it
local2.info chat[1630]: send (AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","rcomwap"^M)
local2.info chat[1630]: timeout set to 30 seconds
local2.info chat[1630]: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","rcomwap"^M^M
local2.info chat[1630]: COMMAND NOT SUPPORT^M

is there any thing to changed in the 3g.chat script

I have a windows 7 os on my machine

please help