Topic: Post subject: WRT54GL vs whr-g300n and some other doubts about OpenWRT

Goodnight everybody, I'm a newcomer in this area but I have some experience in using Linux and C/C++ programming.

I'm a student in Portugal and one of my concerns is internet access and sharing because I share an house with some friends. This brings some problems, the first one is that we use the routers provided by the ISP's and those are really crappy when setting the network, and the other is the bandwidth sharing between all of us. So I would like to know if it is possible to have the internet comming from an ethernet cable and then being distributed over WiFi and ethernet, and if it is possible to limit the maximum speed/bandwidth that each user can use, for example using an 20Mbits/s connection only allowing each MAC address to use 5Mbits/s.

As I don't have lots of money I found that the WRT54GL and the Buffalo WHR-G300N cost about the same (about 50€) and I would like to know which one is better, because the wrt is older so maybe the whr is better..

Re: Post subject: WRT54GL vs whr-g300n and some other doubts about OpenWRT

senso,

What did you finally go with?  I am not sure the buffalo unit is compatible with WhiteRussian.

Were you successful implementing your QoS plans?  If so, do you have something you can share?