OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Buying OpenWRT supported router with flash > 16M

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would like to obtain an OpenWRT router with flash of at least 16Mb. I am not really concerned about Wifi, or any other features.
If you think you know of any device that has more than 16Mb flash, and can run OpenWRT, please post it in this thread.

I researched a little, and have found two devices that I am considering right now. Please let me know of any other options I might have.

1. Netgear WNDR3700 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - WNDR3700
680 MHz powerful MIPS 32-bit processor
Memory: 16 MB flash and 64 MB RAM
Five (5) (1 WAN, 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports
Power: 12 V DC @ 2.5A output, 30W maximum
Price - 130$ - link
Mfg. Specs - link

2. Buffalo Technology AirStation High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router & AP WZR-HP-AG300H
Atheros 9132 @ 400 MHz => Wikipedia? source
Memory: 32 MB flash and 64 MB RAM => Wikipedia? source
4 Lan - RJ45
1 Wan a/g/b/n
Power: Max. 13.2 W
Price - 90$ - link
Mfg Site - link
Wiki Specs - link

(Last edited by F1aw on 15 Aug 2011, 03:49)

AFAIK and depends on the usage of the device, there are other devices one can contemplate to get. For instance, if one wants to build a 3G (perhaps 4G) WiFi router, one can invest on a 3G / 4G USB dongle + a 4-port giga switch + a low price of a $40 [url=http://www.buy.com/prod/pogoplug-multimedia-sharing-device-pink/q/loc/101/213816247.html]Pogoplug Multimedia Sharing Device[url](POGOE02) that has lots of NAND space (256MB?) and RAM (256MB?) and four USB2 ports on an ARM9 platform clocked @1.2GHz.

(Last edited by mazilo on 15 Aug 2011, 13:20)

Ok, thanks for sharing the additional information. Now I have a few more devices to consider. I am now leaning more towards Marvel based devices, since Wifi is not so critical for me.

* Seagate FreeAgent DockStar
Marvell Kirkwood@1200MHz
Memory: 128 mb DDR-2 RAM  & 256M Flash
3 USB ports
1 GigE LAN
Price - 90$ link

I have also come across this wonderful comparison chart of some Marvel processor devices. Here is the link where the original post came from.

Name                          Ethernet  USB Memory  Storage    Processor           SD slot?    Other
Sheevaplug                 1 GigE      1    512M    512M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz   Yes   
TonidoPlug                  1 GigE      1    512M    512M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    No   
Pogoplug "Wall-Plug"  1 GigE      1    256M    512M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    No
Pogoplug v2: "Pink"    1 GigE      4    256M    128M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    No   
Seagate Dockstar      1 GigE      3    128M    256M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    No   
GuruPlug Standard    1 GigE      2    512M    512M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    No    Wifi-B/G, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
GuruPlug Plus            2 GigE      2    512M    512M    Marvell Sheeva 1.2Ghz    MicroSD    Wifi-B/G, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, eSATA

Here is another comparison chart from plugcomputer.org. Here is the original inf page.

Product                         Processor                    Memory                              GE  USB WiFi   Zwave  Zigbee HDD    Dimensions (LxWxH)           Ext I/O
Plug Computer Basic   Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    512MB NAND, 512MB DDR2   1    1      no      no         no      no          110 x 69.5 x 48.5             1 USB
GuruPlug Server          Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    512MB NAND, 512MB DDR2   1    2      yes    yes       yes    no         95 x 65 x 48.5                  2 USB
GuruPlug Server Plus  Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    512MB NAND, 512MB DDR2   2    2      yes    yes       yes    no         95 x 65 x 48.5                  2 USB, 1 eSATA
GuruPlug Display         ARMADA 168           4MB FLASH, 512MB DDR2      1    5      no      no         no      no         110 x 69.5 x 48.5             4 USB, 1 HDMI
DreamPlug                   Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    2MB FLASH, 512MB DDR2      1    2      yes    yes      yes     no         170 X 82 X 33                  1 eSATA
D2Plug                          ARMADA 510            16MB FLASH, 1GB DDR3       1    2      yes    yes      yes     no         170 x 82 x 33                  2 USB, 1eSATA
Nimbus 100                  Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    512MB NAND, 512MB DDR2   1    1      no      no         no       no         79 x 50 x 42                   1USB,1GBE, 1SD
Stratus                          Kirkwood 1.2 GHz    512MB NAND, 512MB DDR2   1    2     yes     yes      yes      no         103 x 88 x 46                  1 USB

These additional devices will probably be better off running Debian than OpenWRT. Although I would not try Debian with less than 512RAM.

(Last edited by F1aw on 17 Aug 2011, 00:13)

Soekris
- Overpriced ($253). I can get 3 plug computers for the same price.
- This sucker needs an external power supply and uses 20Watt.
- Geode Clock speed (433Mhz) is 3 times slower than Marvel (1.2Ghz)

Intel Desktop Board
+ Nice option if you want to build your own low-end multimedia center. Not very practical as a dedicated server due to unnecessary audio / video card.
- Requires an external power supply and external Wifi adapter
+ Passively cooled 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 2GB ram
- More than twice as big as any plug computers, and only marginally faster.

(Last edited by F1aw on 30 Aug 2011, 22:21)

This post is really great and I truly enjoyed reading it.Waiting for some more great posts like this from you in the coming days.

Just as a followup to this thread, I ended up getting Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh2 for $60. That is a good price for a 400mhz device with 32/64 flash/ram. I do not think there is anything out there that would beat that. I was considering DockStar for 40$, but it requires opening the case and soldering in a serial console. Plus DockStar is missing WiFi. I was also considering Plug computers, but you will have to spend around $150 for the unit+jtag. You are also likely to spend another 100$ on heatsinks, thermal glue, fan, external PSU, all just to avoid overheating issues.

Overall I am happy with my Buffalo. I have managed to tolerate DD-WRT for only one week. Got frustrated with the absence of firewall config and Samba, lack or other config options. SO I have build the latest OpenWRT trunk+patch, flashed it via TFTP and everything is smooth. Good luck to everyone!

F1aw wrote:

I was considering DockStar for 40$, but it requires opening the case and soldering in a serial console.

This is not true. A Seagate DockStart comes equipped with all serial/JTAG pins.

Plus DockStar is missing WiFi. I was also considering Plug computers, but you will have to spend around $150 for the unit+jtag.

This is probably not true, too. I can get a PogoPlug Pro (with a built-in WiFi on a dual-core ARM6J1 platform) for less than US$50 (see here).

If official support is not a requirement, then the RT-N16 is an excellent choice - it's relatively inexpensive, and has 32MB flash and 128MB RAM:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6580

mazilo wrote:

This is not true. A Seagate DockStart comes equipped with all serial/JTAG pins.

Having the pins inside the case is great, but in order to get to them you will have to void your warranty by opening up the case. Also get your soldering iron ready. What I said is still true.

mazilo wrote:

This is probably not true, too. I can get a PogoPlug Pro (with a built-in WiFi on a dual-core ARM6J1 platform) for less than US$50 (see here).

See the bottom of this page to see why PogoPlug is not worth the price. If you screw something up you have a brick without any way to recover. Doubt that there are many Pogo's out there running OpenWRT. If you ever get a plug computer working under $150 bucks make sure to share with everyone on the forum. Also make sure that it does not fry within the first week.

(Last edited by F1aw on 15 Oct 2011, 20:46)

F1aw wrote:

Just as a followup to this thread, I ended up getting Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh2 for $60. That is a good price for a 400mhz device with 32/64 flash/ram. I do not think there is anything out there that would beat that. I was considering DockStar for 40$, but it requires opening the case and soldering in a serial console. Plus DockStar is missing WiFi. I was also considering Plug computers, but you will have to spend around $150 for the unit+jtag. You are also likely to spend another 100$ on heatsinks, thermal glue, fan, external PSU, all just to avoid overheating issues.

Overall I am happy with my Buffalo. I have managed to tolerate DD-WRT for only one week. Got frustrated with the absence of firewall config and Samba, lack or other config options. SO I have build the latest OpenWRT trunk+patch, flashed it via TFTP and everything is smooth. Good luck to everyone!

curious if you are running the latest build and have an stability issues (and if you are only using it for wired vs wireless)

The discussion might have continued from here.