OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wireless mbps vs. wired mbps

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I have an old Linksys Wrt54gs v. 2 with 1 laptop and one wifi phone always connected (sometimes, there's an Xbox/Wii or Roku). My ISP speed is supposed to be 16 Mbps (that's what I pay for anyway). When connected directly to the cable modem the speed (via speedtest.net) is near 30 Mbps, however, using wireless its between 11 and 12 Mbps.

Is there a setting on the router that is somehow limiting the speed? I have virtually no knowledge of how to configure the router, it was a hand me down and I didn't flash it myself so please speak slowly and use small words smile

It's OpenWrt White Russian - With X-Wrt Extensions 0.9

Thanks in advance.

Hi Orca, thanks for your response.

It hard to make myself clear because I don't really know what I'm talking about smile

I did solve my problem tho. I narrowed it down to a setting within White Russian that was limiting my speed somehow. After spending a day and a half googling for an answer I gave up and installed Tomato to my router. That solved the problem whatever it was.

Networks are built by adding a network interface card (if not already built-in) or other network adapter to your computer and then connecting that adapter to the medium--a wire or radio frequency--over which the data flows. Depending on your network topology, there may also be a central hub or router to which each of the computers connects. If the hub also routes data between the local network and another network (such as the Internet), it's called a router.

When it comes to network performance, you'll see quite a bit of jargon relating to (theoretical) maximum speeds, which are measured in bits per second. First, some acronyms: Megabits per second (or mbps) means millions of bits per second, and gigabits per second (or gbps) means billions of bits per second. These speeds will vary, depending on the kind of network you use. The fastest dial-up modems connect at about 50,000 bits per second (50 kilobits per second), so a 10-mbps network connection is roughly 200 times faster than that; a 100-mbps connection 2000 times faster; and a 1-gbps (1000-mbps) connection 20,000 times faster.

attendance tracking software

The discussion might have continued from here.