OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [?] How to add a physical WIFI switch on ASUS WL-500g Premium 1 ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

can somebody tell me how to add a physical switch to enable / disable the WIFI on my ASUS WL-500g Premium 1 ?

I'm tired of having  to connect with my PC to enable / disable the WIFI on this router. I just need it when I use my tablet on the garden. Then simple physical switch can be more interesting.

Can somebody explain how to add it ? I already have this on a portable and its really an interesting function.

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

I would see 3 options:
1. use one of the existing buttons (like reset, wds or whatever you've got on that device) and change some config files.
2. connect something to your usb that has a button (numeric keypad, usb-gpio, usb-i2c with i2c-gpio-expander) and edit some config files (maybe even build new image).
3. locate some unused gpio on the board and hook up a switch and resistor, then edit some config files and build a new image. You will void your warranty.
And if you find the time, please improve the wiki page of that router :-)

The discussion might have continued from here.