OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wr1043nd: Did I just brick my router?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I was running "openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-factory" (rc4), and was having trouble with the UI.    So I thought I'd try a newer version.  (Based on the openwrt homepage post about the trunk being very stable.)

I tried to flash with "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade" (trunk) via the web interface.    The  router did stuff, but rebooted to just the "power" light on.     

After some time (10 minutes), I tried power cycling the router, and the lights flash for a second or two, but again just settle down to only the "power" light being on.  The LAN/WAN leds do light up depending on if a cable is plugged in.

Clicking or holding the "QSS" button on power up does not change anything.  (The SYS led never starts to blink.)

Did I just kill my $65 router?  Is it fixable without soldering in a new flash chip?

Thank you

(Last edited by OoJoo on 15 Jun 2011, 04:06)

ssh 192.168.1.1

fyi wrote:

ssh 192.168.1.1

No such luck.  I tried telnet too.  (static IP assigned to PC)

(Last edited by OoJoo on 15 Jun 2011, 06:39)

The message about trunk being stable is a few months old I think and the builds were broken for a while lately as well when they switched to 2.6.37.
Last time I did a sysupgrade through the webinterface I was not able to connect at all by telnet/ssh, only using LuCI. I upgraded using sysupgrade -n to reset all config, but nothing was true less, almost all files were still there, telnet was disabled, etc.
Does the SYS never blink at all? or just not starting to blink faster if you press the QSS button during boot?
Which things have you tried from the http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … debricking page?

I had a similar experience with my wr1043nd a week ago. In the end resorted to soldering in the serial head, buying a TTL serial to USB cable and reflashing using serial console and TFTP server.

Andre

Thank you for the help so far.

I just tried using wireshark to look for any UDP packets from the router on boot.  No luck.   (And to clarify, the SYS light never blinks at all.)

Is it possible that the "serial console" logic was also corrupted during the bad flash, or will buying a TTL to USB cable for sure work?  If so, what model do you recommend? 

P.S. Can someone edit the "trunk is stable" post on the OpenWRT home page?  I knew it was a risky to try, but I never would have tried had the post not said that.   sad

P.P.S.  Can we add a "date" field to the homepage posts?

Thank you

(Last edited by OoJoo on 16 Jun 2011, 02:59)

The next build (r27153) after the problematic one was OK. I flashed it and it's working. There is an issue I reported in https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9561 , but it's been there for a while and not related to your problem.

My symptoms were very similar: I flashed the router and after rebooting it would only blink once with all the LEDs and then only the power would remain on and that's it.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LC54ZY . Had to reshuffle the pins in the connector to match the ones on the board though.

I don't believe the bootloader could be affected in your case, so you can try the serial console.

Andre

(Last edited by AndreZ on 16 Jun 2011, 13:20)

The discussion might have continued from here.