OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link WR940N

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just bought device but there doesn't seem to be any hardware info about it on the OpenWRT wiki so I created it:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr940n

It looks like the WR940Nv1 is a WR941NDv4 with fixed antennas, which in turn is similar to the WR741ND.

Anyway, it seems to boot fine but I haven't started doing anything with it yet.

/Simon

Thank you, your effort and the sharing is appreciated!

iam new to all this stuff ...  i used the OEM frameware to upload a openwrt frameware ... but it Bricked sad
now i cant even bing it .... its unrechable !!!!

the tftp dont work

i dont know how to make a serial cable and how to use it too ....  plz help me i need a way to reflash it and make it work ...
i can find the tools to build a serial cable as ive read that i only need the nokia cable ....

plz if u can make a explanation  about the wr940n and how to flash it

If you have a TP-LINK router that seems to be cooked, but you can still ping it you should be ok and recovery is easier then you think.

This works perfectly for the TL-WR1043ND, and from what I can gather it just may save you on the WR940N as well.

1. unplug the power
2. Plug the power back in
3. Wait until the SYS light blinks then HOLD DOWN the QSS button
4. wait until you see the SYS LED flash VERY quickly then you can let go of the QSS button. you are now in recovery mode

you should now be able to Telnet or TFTP into the router via 192.168.1.1

If you are unfamiliar with that procedure you can try

1. make sure your LAN adapter in your PC is set to 192.168.1.2 for IP and 192.168.1.1 for GATEWAY
2. plug in VIA LAN cable to a LAN port on the back of the router
3. now open up a command window and use TELNET or any other TELNET or TFTP application (easiest on XP, on vista and win 7 you will hve to install Telenet)
4. In the command window type    telnet 192.168.1.1    You should now see the login (NO USER OR PASSWORD REQUIRED)
5. at the command window you can now perform any action via command line. I normally wipe it back to OpenWrt defaults and that should get you back to square one.
6. The command line to reset everything to default is      mtd -r erase rootfs_data

Good luck and let me know how you make out!

The discussion might have continued from here.