OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New firmware for WNDR3700 w/ QOS, MultiWAN, OpenVPN, DDNS, Luci-https

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Well I have been compiling builds for the WNDR3700 and I think my latest is worth sharing. I would greatly appreciate feedback and suggestions. Please comment if you end up using this.

Many of the scripts are preconfigured. Features.....

Luci over HTTPS only (2048 bit key). https://10.0.0.1
SSH only on 10.0.0.1.
Firewall drops instead of rejects across the board and drops ICMP on WAN.
USB functions on filesystems ext 2,3 and reiserfs. A nfs share on 10.0.0.1:/usb allows access for the LAN. USB LED works.

QOS and MultiWAN.
I have preconfigured two networks. One is IWN (192.168.0.0) - that is isolated wireless network. It allows you to assign a wireless network which is separate from the LAN for roommates/guests.
The other is PWN or parasitic wireless network. This is a network you would assign a wireless connection in client mode. The bandwidth would then be combined with your ethernet WAN with the preconfigured load balancing multiWAN script. So you can run the 2.4G radio in client mode and the 5G radio as a AP. It doubles my bandwidth.

Transmission operates a web interface at http://10.0.0.1:9091. Username is dirac and password is 7k2atnxmrmj4. If the pwn network is assigned then all transmission traffic is forwarded through it whilst any sensitive traffic (http/s ftp ssh email) goes through the wired WAN. Transmission writes to the attached USB storage.

The buttons work except for WPS (who uses that?). Reset button uses a script called smart reset where you press reset and the WPS LED blinks. You then press the WiFi button and it resets to defaults. This means you don't have to hold that small button down for 20 seconds. The WiFi button enables and disables the radio, but also lights the WPS LED for 10 seconds although a different color to when you press reset. If you then press the WPS LED you will see an experimental feature which is airodump capturing all weak WEP packets onto a directory on your attached hard disk. A wireless network must be set up on 2.4 band for this function to work, however whilst it collects packets that network will be down. Reboot to return that network to operation. SSH in and goto /usb/aircrack/ and run aircrack-ptw on the cap files. I appreciate feedback and improvements on this feature.

OpenVPN and dynamic DNS are installed but not preconfigured.

A HOSTS file that lists ad sites is included so it will block all ad banners and popups. Works VERY well.
DNS servers for WAN and PWN are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively. Google's DNS servers.

I am calling this firmware dirac.
Its stable and very fast. I include the .config and the files directory so everyone can explore the scripts. It really is very impressive. Please give me feedback !

http://rapidshare.com/files/446840047/dirac.tar.gz

SHA512SUM

f668e7ccc565e67f1f6bab2949b9dcc7bfa752f688f2345ab96cfce2cc333be3b68aa9b5af1556fb7647c44aa49fffdf0169369172e023c6fd6462761894951b  dirac.tar.gz

Remember the .img image is for routers running the factory Netgear firmware to upgrade. The .bin file is if you are using OpenWRT firmware already. You should untick keep configuration files when you upload.

Thom

(Last edited by diracshore on 10 Feb 2011, 16:46)

Here is another version, more stable and minimal. I think this version allocates resources where they are most needed.

http://rapidshare.com/files/447370212/dirac-1-0.tar.gz

SHA512SUM
83617040bd4faa40d2063e2d8077d8c4a318e3062e8b7f6d7db7624469dabb94e41fcd26f40ecabf376567378a40bbbbd254af8838169d8d64204fa60497f7c1  dirac-1-0.tar.gz

This version is identical to the post above however it lacks aircrack-ng,openvpn,ddns. The WiFi button on this firmware just toggles the radio. The WPS button however runs a dragnet surveillance script I made described here,

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28547

(Last edited by diracshore on 11 Feb 2011, 15:31)

Hi,
How about one for V2? I have V2 and want to try it.
TIA,

Interesting package.  I played with it some last night.  I'm a noob, so I have a question...or two....

Is the buildwndr3700 a runnable script of some sort?  Or is it simply a guide for a sequence of manual operations?

I made the assumption it is a guide for manual instructions and it was easy to follow.  But what does:

>>  drop files directory  <<

mean?  Does it mean to manually take each file in the dirac 'files' directory (such as dirac/files/etc/config/dropbear) and copy it into the target package files directory (such as ./backfire/package/dropbear/files)

Or does 'drop' actually mean 'delete' something?

thanks!

>>  drop files directory  <<

I think this means copy -a files/* into ./package/base-files/files/ ?

but it must be done after the menuconfig but before make?

Hi all,

Ok >>drop files directory<< means take the directory called files and place it in the build directory before you begin to compile the image. The purpose is the scripts in that directory will be added to the images root file system replacing some of the configuration files in the default build. So this preconfigures some of the settings of the router and adds scripts for say buttons operations etc.

buildwndr3700 is a series of commands I would copy and paste into a terminal to build the image (ctrl-c then ctrl-shift-v in terminal, ubuntu). You can skip the menuconfig setup (those are not commands) if you just copy the file config into the build directory and rename it to .config (becomes hidden). But I would advise following the menuconfig setup at least once for the experience.

In fact you don't have to compile anything, you can just flash the correct .img/.bin in the directory ar71xx, I have compiled for you. The rest of the files in the package are really for the curious and those who want to change the image to suit their needs. If you flash the wrong .img/.bin it can brick your router. I suspect thats what ttony may have done (either that or he tried to flash his v2 with this v1 image). I have tested this firmware on six routers so far without bricking, its perfect. And using the second image posted I have had one router run a straight 6 months uptime without a reboot. So its ultra stable. I am very pleased with the image. The image in the first post I would skip. This model is not ideal for wifi cracking, the hardware just will not play.

The only thing I wish I had changed is to add a few lines to /etc/rc.local as follows

echo 1024 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh1
echo 2048 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh2
echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3

You can do this yourself after flashing the image but remember to replace the commands if you reset the router to defaults.
Also remember to set the packet shaping to match your cable modems speed.

I don't have a v2 so I cannot compile an image for it ttony.

Thom

(Last edited by diracshore on 3 Sep 2011, 07:29)

Has anyone else tried this build? I have a WNDR3700 (v1) and after reading ttony's post I wonder if the brick was caused by this build or he made any error while flashing.

Thanks!

i installed this but how do i setup multiwan with this? Can someone help me? I am a linux noob and not sure what to change to set up the multiwan?

hi diracshore,

Is it possible to install v4l and MumuDVB in it?
Will then it be able to do IPTV if we buy an USB TV Tuner?

Thanks

Yardern

The discussion might have continued from here.