151 (edited by hnyman 2012-03-27 08:19:07)

Re: IPv6 oriented Openwrt build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

There might be a way to circumvent that kernel config dependency.
See: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=161617#p161617

avbohemen wrote:

@pinion: This is because in kernel 3.2.x there is now a checksum in the kernel package itself. You cannot install kmod-packages if you don't have exactly the same kernel version the package is compiled for. There is a way around it though:

1. Remove any list of packages (created by "opkg update") in /var/opkg-lists, or wherever it is stored
2. Directly install the kmod-package from the commandline, with --force-depends: opkg --force-depends install http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/packages/kmod-fs-cifs_3.2.10-1_ar71xx.ipk

You will get an error, but the package is now installed.

However, additional risk is caused by the fact that the ar71xx snapshots in Openwrt repository seem to be from 14 March 2012, built with 3.2.9 kernel. Kernel has been updated to 3.2.12 since then and my newest build already uses that.

opkg --force-depends is what I used, it does work for kmod-usb-serial-ftdi. It's just the NFS stuff I'm having trouble with.

I guess I should wait for your next build and trunk to catch up. Thanks again!

153 (edited by hnyman 2012-03-27 17:51:16)

hvkls wrote:

opkg --force-depends is what I used, it does work for kmod-usb-serial-ftdi. It's just the NFS stuff I'm having trouble with.

I guess I should wait for your next build and trunk to catch up. Thanks again!

I made a new build. This time I also compiled all the NFS modules, but they are not yet included in the firmware itself.

I am not promising that I will compile the NFS packages in future, and I have not tested them.  But if you want to try them, there they are now.

http://koti.welho.com/hnyman1/Openwrt/trunk-r31088-2012-03-27/Packages/

EDIT: I tested building NFS support into the firmware, but it seems to increase the size of the firmware by 300 kB. I feel that is too much to be included by default.

Hi, big fan of your build smile

Is there a build of backfire that incorporates this fix https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31073 ?
This brakes DST in a couple of countries (including mine) which in turn breaks aiccu.
Even better, is there a way to fix this without flashing an update smile

155 (edited by hnyman 2012-03-29 20:36:38)

movi wrote:

Hi, big fan of your build smile

Is there a build of backfire that incorporates this fix https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31073 ?
This brakes DST in a couple of countries (including mine) which in turn breaks aiccu.
Even better, is there a way to fix this without flashing an update smile

The number of changes in Backfire is so limited that I build it only about once per month. My next Backfire build, probably next week, will have it fixed thanks to this: https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/31074

But there is an easy intermediate fix. Read here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=162155#p162155
Temporary fix for older builds is to change the timezone rule in /etc/config/system to act on 4th Sunday in March (instead of 5th) Sunday:

/etc/config/system

config 'system'
     option 'hostname' 'bob'
     option 'zonename' 'Europe/Copenhagen'
-    option 'timezone' 'CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3'
+    option 'timezone' 'CET-1CEST,M3.4.0,M10.5.0/3'

(And of course, the time will automatically get corrected on 1st of April in any case, as even the faulty rule will kick in then.)

New Backfire build 31152 contains the uClibc patch to handle correctly the DST change.

hnyman wrote:

I made a new build. This time I also compiled all the NFS modules, but they are not yet included in the firmware itself.

I am not promising that I will compile the NFS packages in future, and I have not tested them.  But if you want to try them, there they are now.

http://koti.welho.com/hnyman1/Openwrt/trunk-r31088-2012-03-27/Packages/

EDIT: I tested building NFS support into the firmware, but it seems to increase the size of the firmware by 300 kB. I feel that is too much to be included by default.

This caught my attention.

I've been looking to find a way to get NFSv4 daemon on the WNDR3800.
To my knowledge this v4 version of NFS is not yet supported by unfsd (user space daemon).

Do these kernel modules support NFSv4 as a server and client?
IS this just the kernel modules without user-land bits?

Thanks

Home                               Work                          Parents
Netgear wndr3800            Netgear wndr3800      Netgear wndr3700v2
Netgear JGS524 Switch       Lacie 1TB USB              64GB USB thumb
DroboFS 10TB NAS

Just check the NFS module source in the repository to check that. I have not tested those modules, but just compiled them as there not been normal trunk snapshots for ar71xx since 4 weeks.

159 (edited by hnyman 2012-04-10 19:23:26)

There was question in Arokh's thread last week about infinite lease times for a dhcp clients with static leases. I started to investigate the config options for dnsmasq, the main dhcp server in Openwrt. Dnsmasq seems to support host-specific lease times for static leases out of the box, but configuring the functionality has not been built to Openwrt.

I added the possibility to config dhcp lease times for static leases to my trunk build r31244. The "Network" / "DHCP and DNS" screen in LuCI has now column in static leases table, which enables the user to define an optional host-specific lease time for that host.

See also: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11227

Needed changes are rather simple. (I also added a short explanation to LuCI).

The actual change for supporting the config itself:

Index: /Openwrt/trunk/package/dnsmasq/files/dnsmasq.init
===================================================================
--- /Openwrt/trunk/package/dnsmasq/files/dnsmasq.init    (revision 31244)
+++ /Openwrt/trunk/package/dnsmasq/files/dnsmasq.init    (working copy)
@@ -231,7 +231,8 @@
     for m in $mac; do append macs "$m" ","; done
     [ -n "$macs" ] || return 0

-    xappend "--dhcp-host=$macs${networkid:+,net:$networkid}${ip:+,$ip}${name:+,$name}"
+    config_get leasetime "$cfg" leasetime
+    xappend "--dhcp-host=$macs${networkid:+,net:$networkid}${ip:+,$ip}${name:+,$name}${leasetime:+,$leasetime}"
 }

dhcp_mac_add() {

Adding support and explantion to LuCI:

Index: /Openwrt/luci/trunk/modules/admin-full/luasrc/model/cbi/admin_network/dhcp.lua
===================================================================
--- /Openwrt/luci/trunk/modules/admin-full/luasrc/model/cbi/admin_network/dhcp.lua    (revision 8554)
+++ /Openwrt/luci/trunk/modules/admin-full/luasrc/model/cbi/admin_network/dhcp.lua    (working copy)
@@ -224,7 +224,9 @@
         "only hosts with a corresponding lease are served.") .. "<br />" ..
     translate("Use the <em>Add</em> Button to add a new lease entry. The <em>MAC-Address</em> " ..
         "indentifies the host, the <em>IPv4-Address</em> specifies to the fixed address to " ..
-        "use and the <em>Hostname</em> is assigned as symbolic name to the requesting host."))
+        "use and the <em>Hostname</em> is assigned as symbolic name to the requesting host. " ..
+        "The optional <em>Lease time</em> can be used to set non-standard host-specific " ..
+        "lease time, e.g. 12h, 3d or infinite."))

s.addremove = true
 s.anonymous = true
@@ -240,6 +242,9 @@
 ip = s:option(Value, "ip", translate("<abbr title=\"Internet Protocol Version 4\">IPv4</abbr>-Address"))
 ip.datatype = "ip4addr"

+time = s:option(Value, "leasetime", translate("Lease time"))
+time.rmempty  = true
+
 sys.net.arptable(function(entry)
     ip:value(entry["IP address"])
     mac:value(

Adding the functionality does not need any new code to be compiled, so the changes can also be made to a live Openwrt system. You just need to patch /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/admin_network/dhcp.lua and /etc/init.d/dnsmasq in the running Openwrt system.

I am trying to apply your svn patches to the source and am having a problem with it finding the files to patch. I believe it has to do with the versioning.
It will say cant find file to patch and point to:
.../config-2.6.32
---/config-2.6.32     (revision 31290)
+++/config-2.6.32     (working copy)

Can you point me in the right direction of how to set up the env correctly. I tried adding a new env named current. Can't seem to get it to have a
revision and a working copy for the diffs to apply.
Thanks.

161 (edited by hnyman 2012-04-17 07:10:38)

Simple 'patch' command should be enough.

I have created the diff files (the patches) starting from root so that they include /Openwrt, so you need to use 'patch -pX', where X gets adjusted by the number of '/' parts to remove.

If your current working directory is at the Backfire buildroot root, you should probably use -p3 to strip away the '/Openwrt/backfire/' part. Something like 'patch -p3 -i patchfile'.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/patch

-pnum or --strip=num
Strip the smallest prefix containing num leading slashes from each file name found in the patch file. A sequence of one or more adjacent slashes is counted as a single slash. This controls how file names found in the patch file are treated, in case you keep your files in a different directory than the person who sent out the patch. For example, supposing the file name in the patch file was
/u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

setting -p0 gives the entire file name unmodified, -p1 gives
u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

without the leading slash, -p4 gives
blurfl/blurfl.c

and not specifying -p at all just gives you blurfl.c. Whatever you end up with is looked for either in the current directory, or the directory specified by the -d option.

An example of commandline of applying patch: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2012-April/014890.html

I may later edit the diff generating script to leave out the unnecessary leading parts, so that applying patches would be easier.

Ps. If you just want to patch one file, just edit the path away from the patchfile or edit the file by hand...

162 (edited by jps 2012-04-28 19:46:06)

Hi, been using your build for some time now - THANK YOU!

I use collectd pretty extensively with my access points, and have them directing their output to a central logging server using collectd-mod-network.

Would it be any trouble to add that module to the base image (along with -netlink and -dns?)  It would save me quite a few extra steps when updating my satellite APs.

I also wouldn't mind if you'd consider adding openvpn and avahi.... <wink>

Thanks!

I added the collectd-mod-network and -dns to the build. (I did not manage to add -netlink, as it seems to be broken at the moment. Might be due to the recent kernel bump to 3.3.x or something.)

I have sometimes considered adding openvpn, but as I am not using it myself, I haven't included it, yet. The same goes for avahi.

I'm happy with -network smile

Thanks!

Hi, is there a reason why in hnyman's builds the TX power can be set to max 20dBm (100mW) while in Arokh's builds it can be set to 27dBm for exactly the same WiFi configuration?

Thanks for your patience..

I haven't checked those details in Arokh's build, but my build uses the default crda file. It is possible that Arokh's has a modified one that allows higher than officially permitted power. (Also make sure that you have the same country settings in the wifi config.)

Hi, I've replaced the standard regulatory.bin by the other one suggested by user ferob (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=163122#p163122) and after a reboot I can now transmit with 26dBm.

26dBm are complete bullshit, the hardware is not even capable of that.

I made the same mod as cloggy on both my 3700v1 and 3800.  My 3700v1 @2.4ghz is unchanged at 17dBm, but @5ghz increased from 20dBm to 24dBm reported.    My 3800 @2.4ghz moved from 20dBm to 26dBm reported, and @5ghz from 20dBm to 23dBm reported.

I agree the 26dBm @2.4ghz reported by my 3800 is likely bullshit as you say, however, it's at least driving 22-23dBm.  The received signal at both 2.4ghz and 5ghz from my 3800 have significantly increased.  My received signal and range @5ghz have increased by at least 25% and now I can see multiple APs from places where before I could only see the nearest AP.

While I don't necessarily believe the 24dBm @5ghz on the 3700v1, the increase in txpower appears commensurate to that of the V2 which reports 23dBm.

Whether or not you believe the transmit power reported by the software, my actual *received* signal and range has increased significantly for those bands where the software reported an increase in txpower.

My consistent observation (on my gear) is that the range is substantially impaired when running OpenWRT versus the stock firmware.

For what it's worth, this is the first time I've seen performance and range from OpenWRT commensurate with the stock firmware.

@jow,

You can say it is bullshit but when I'm transmitting with 26dBm I see -14/-16 RSSI and with 20dBm I see -19/-21 RSSI on 2.4 ghz.... The laptop stayed at the same location, same channel, I've only changed the transmit level.. Do you have an explanation for this?

BTW, in DD-WRT I also see a transmit level of 26dBm (depending on the country....).

171 (edited by cloggy 2012-05-02 07:28:00)

Within 24 hours, the replacement of regulatory.bin and the achieved results were classified as bullshit but a kind question to explain (and justify) why it is bullshit, remains unanswered. So, I start to think now that the update by jow is really bullshit.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=160133#p160133
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=160139#p160139

Thanks, but it's not a reply to my question why I do see the difference (with INSSIDER). But don't bother to react anymore, as long as I can clearly see a different RSSI value between the two different regulatory.bin files (I only hope you don't mind I keep using the modified .bin file rather than the one provided by openwrt... smile ).

174 (edited by tt 2012-05-14 12:39:12)

Hnyman, I tried your new "trunk" build 31708 and I'm having a couple of issues at reboot. Are these generic to the trunk or is there something in the config?

1) Wifi "A" band is disabled after a reboot. The "B/G" band is ok, and the "A" band responds to manual enable. In the log it is complaining about the channel selection, but this same channel works in the previous backfire build, and it also works simply after enabling. Seems like it's outside of your config, but if you have any ideas...

May 14 07:28:13 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
May 14 07:28:13 Downstairs user.info sysinit: channel [21] (157) is disabled for use in AP mode, flags: 0x77 NO-IBSS PASSIVE-SCAN
May 14 07:28:13 Downstairs user.info sysinit: wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (157) not found from the channel list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
May 14 07:28:13 Downstairs user.info sysinit: wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel
May 14 07:28:13 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-4)

2) The clock resets to September 2011 after a reboot. I discovered that clicking "Save and Apply" in the System->System tab seems to fix this. Familiar?

Otherwise the Trunk build seems to be working ok. Have you stopped building Backfire I assume?

Another quirk, missing luci statistics plugins?

May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: configfile: stat (/etc/collectd/conf.d) failed: No such file or directory
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not find plugin iptables.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not find plugin wireless.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not find plugin tcpconns.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Found a configuration for the `tcpconns' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Found a configuration for the `tcpconns' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not find plugin processes.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: rrdtool plugin: RRASingle = true: creating only AVERAGE RRAs
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Could not find plugin exec.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Found a configuration for the `exec' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: Found a configuration for the `exec' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: setting up led WAN LED (green)
May 14 08:04:22 Downstairs user.info sysinit: setting up led USB LED (green)

Still searching for a Wifi-A frequency that enables at reboot... no joy so far