OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Jul 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

LEDE 17.01:  lede1701-r3043-31b0640906-20170130
LEDE 17.01.0-rc1 is being compiled by the buildbot at the moment. This build should match it rather closely.

I am also stopping building for the old CC15.05 branch, as there has been practically no development for ages, not even many package updates.

EDIT:
lede1701-r3132-083854f06f-20170207
LEDE 17.01.0-rc2 is being compiled by the buildbot at the moment. This build should match it rather closely.

(Last edited by hnyman on 13 Feb 2017, 10:42)

Umm, I seem to have a bit of a problem that I cannot resolve.

I have a wndr3800 which has a copy of Arokh openwrt image that has not been updated in about a year or so. It has laid dormant in a box during that time as part of a move and I am now in the process of resurrecting it. Of course I have no record of what the password was.

• I can get it to fail-safe mode and telnet into it but I have constant timeouts/retry, until it gives up,  when I try to put a new image with a mode of octet.

• I can ssh into it but it requests a password (although it is in fail-safe mode), or perhaps a key, and of course I cannot provide either.

• I can access the login page on the web interface but again I fail without knowledge of the password.

• I am stumped as I cannot reset the router, it seems, without the old password.

Any suggestions or do I need to give up?

Thanks for any help.

MidGe wrote:

I have a wndr3800 ... It has laid dormant ... Of course I have no record of what the password was.

It is very easy to use the Netgear's TFTP recovery mode to flash a new factory image to WNDR3800 and 3700v1 and 3700v2. I have used that a dozen of times during the last 6 years. I usually uses TFTP2 GUI client.

Wiki instructions for the Netgear recovery mode are quite accurate:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wn … lsafe_mode

Note that this TFTP recovery mode is separate from Openwrt's own "failsafe mode" and is offered by the original u-boot boot manager by Netgear, so it should be enabled with either an original Netgear firmware, a working Openwrt firmware or a bricked Openwrt firmware.

Note: WNDR3700 may also automatically enter the TFTP recovery mode, if you have flashed a bad firmware image. That is indicated by the power led blinking slowly and steadily, much slower that during a normal Openwrt boot.

For TFTP recovery you need:

*    A TFTP client for your computer. There are both command-line tools and GUI versions available.
*    Your computer must have an IP address from the 192.168.1.x network, as the router failsafe mode defaults to 192.168.1.1. You might need to manually config the address, as some operating systems change the IP to a link-local 196.254.x.x address after a while if there is no DHCP server.
*    A new firmware to flash in. Either an original Netgear firmware or an Openwrt "factory.img" firmware. "Sysupgrade" version will not work.
*    Access to router's reset button

Steps needed in the flashing process:

1    configure and connect PC
2    power on the router
3    press and hold the RESET button as soon as the switch LEDs light up.
4    keep holding RESET until the power LED begins to flash orange and then green.
5    once the power LED is flashing green, release RESET
6    start the TFTP transfer to router at 192.168.1.1.
7    wait a few minutes for the router to complete flash. It should reboot automatically.

Please note that the TFTP transfer is quick, as the file is stored in RAM. However, the flashing process itself will take several minutes, after which the router should reboot automatically.

EDIT:
And Arokh's build may also have a working reset button. Probably resets the router, if you press it over 5 seconds.
(I have removed the time limit from my own build, but 5 seconds is the default). Reset would delete all settings (incl. password) and just leave the defaults provided by Arokh.

EDIT2:
The recovery process is found also at Netgear site nowadays:
http://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-uplo … using-TFTP

(Last edited by hnyman on 17 Feb 2017, 15:23)

hnyman,

Firstly, thank you very much for your very quick reply.

I had read and tried all available documentation already.  I am from the old school that reads the manual first. smile

I did manage to resolve the issue and in so doing I noticed the following.

There are at least three ways to set the router in fail-safe mode. The behavior is different based on what method is used.  I did assume that fail-safe was fail-safe and only tried one method (wait till the power light flash green and then you have two seconds to hot the reset button and that gets you in fail-safe). That method did not work and gave me the issues mentioned in my earlier post. The same happened with hitting and keeping reset pushed in from prior to the power on till it got in fail-safe. That gave me the same problems.  The way out, in my circumstances whatever they were, I don't know exactly what state the router firmware was in, was to hit the reset as soon as the power light first came on after powering on and that finally gave me success with no more timeouts when using tftp.

I hope this note is useful to someone.

Thanks again hnyman as it is your reply that urged me on trying these alternatives.

LEDE 17.01: lede1701-r3205-59508e309e-20170221 (match to 17.01.0 release)

The 17.01 build r3205-59508e309e matches the 17.01.0 release that is being compiled by the buildbot and should be formally released in the next few days.

Do these builds work for WNDR3700v4?

No.

Have installed openwrt a few years back and completly forgot what version wndr3700 I actually have. I think a version 2, but not sure. Does anyone know where I can check this in openwrt?

Also curious about lede I'm reading about in this thread, would that be an better upgrade then the latest openwrt?

I've found the following info in openwrt:
brand/type: Netgear WNDR3700
firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/13/11) std - build 16785
CPU model: Atheros AR7161 rev 2 (0xaa)

zendhetmij wrote:

completly forgot what version wndr3700 I actually have. I think a version 2, but not sure. Does anyone know where I can check this in openwrt?
I've found the following info in openwrt:
brand/type: Netgear WNDR3700
firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/13/11) std - build 16785

Sounds like you are not using Opemwrt, but DD-wrt...

In any case, you can identify the router (v1 or v2) just by looking at the bottom of the router. Under the orange block of LAN ports it says "N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700v2" in v2 and "...WNDR3700" in v1.

zendhetmij wrote:

Also curious about lede I'm reading about in this thread, would that be an better upgrade then the latest openwrt?

There has been almost no development in Openwrt for a year, as practically all active core developers left for LEDE in May 2016. So yes, in general LEDE is one year ahead in development.

Thanks hnyman. Was so sure about running openwrt, that i didn't even check that *facepalm*.

Its a v1,will first try an update to the latest dd-wrt and after that going to check out lede.

Its nice that I can still update this router, hoping to use it to play a bit with network settings and learn a bit more about getting a secure home network.

Thanks again for the information and help. Will follow this thread to, read interesting subject to look into.

Hey Hnyman,
After using the LEDE build, I've noticed that something is not quite working right with the firewall regarding nathelper when port forwarding for FTP.

If I open port 21 (FTP), clients cannot connect in PASV mode. If I set a specific port range for PASV mode and forward those on the firewall to my server, they can connect no problems.,
Previously, under I think your old build of using OpenWRT months back, I didn't need to have to do that. I could just open Port 21 and it'd work.

I assume this has something to do with nathelper, or potentially lack thereof?
I did add in the package for nathelper and -extras, but honestly, I have no idea if thats all I need to do to enable it.

Any ideas? Do you have this same issue?

(Last edited by aaronta on 9 Mar 2017, 06:02)

There has been no build-specific change in my own build, so you are likely noticing a change in the global firewall defautls and/or netfilter/iptables automatic nat helper behaviour.

I haven't tested FTP from outside for ages, so I have no recent personal experience.

I will remove aiccu in the next builds, as SixXS will stop operations in June.
https://www.sixxs.net/sunset/

Sunsetting SixXS

SixXS will be sunset in H1 2017. All services will be turned down on 2017-06-06, after which the SixXS project will be retired. Users will no longer be able to use their IPv6 tunnels or subnets after this date, and are required to obtain IPv6 connectivity elsewhere, primarily with their Internet service provider.

If you are still using aiccu-based SixXS 6in4 tunnels, start looking for alternatives...

Hi,
Maybe this's the first message I've left on the form. It's 63 pages so I decide to find help by asking you directly. I want to know whether your firmware support IPv6 Passthrough mode(just like original factory firmware), because I've tried the odhcpd or 6relayd but they actually didn't work even though I've got a real IPv6 address(I've tried every possible commands by using WinSCP). But I can successfully pass the ipv6-test.com or test-ipv6.com (whatever...) when my I connect the network cable to my PC directly.

Or do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

lynnfield1366 wrote:

I want to know whether your firmware support IPv6 Passthrough mode(just like original factory firmware), because I've tried the odhcpd or 6relayd but they actually didn't work even though I've got a real IPv6 address(I've tried every possible commands by using WinSCP). But I can successfully pass the ipv6-test.com or test-ipv6.com (whatever...) when my I connect the network cable to my PC directly.

My build has the standard ipv6 functionalities & config for Openwrt & LEDE.

There is no 6relayd package any more. It was retired 2-3 years ago when odhcpd was introduced...

If your ISP supports prefix delegation, ipv6 should be work out-of-the-box also for LAN devices.

But if your ISP does not support PD, you might need to config odhcpd into the relay mode. I have never needed it myself, so no detailed help from me. Please read the ipv6 network config documentation in wiki. See the relaying example config in wiki: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/networ … ent_dhcpv6

(But I am not quite sure what happens if you only get a single address and no /64 prefix at all.)

I might missed the wiki page of "network6" before, I'll have a try on odhcpd again later.
Thanks for your quick reply!

arokh wrote:

Hello hnyman, happy new year. Been away for some time might be looking into Wrt again, was wondering if there's been any interesting developments the past months? Haven't been following commit logs for a loong time smile

would be great if you would fire up your builds for the WRT series !!!

(No intention of hijacking the thread, just wanted Arokh to know I am a fan of his builds)

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 26 May 2017, 17:12)

mojolacerator wrote:
arokh wrote:

Hello hnyman, happy new year. Been away for some time might be looking into Wrt again, was wondering if there's been any interesting developments the past months? Haven't been following commit logs for a loong time smile

would be great if you would fire up your builds for the WRT series !!!

(No intention of hijacking the thread, just wanted Arokh to know I am a fan of his builds)

@mojolacerator
I doubt if Arohk is monitoring this thread very closely...

The whole wrt1900xx series is rather stale a the moment as the wifi driver development is still in progress.

I have done my own wrt3200acm build to implement and test the CPU frequency scaling driver thing, but also the CPU frequency scaling functionality seems rather limited in the mvebu series compared to e.g. ipq806x/R7800 that is my main router at the moment.
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/cpu-fr … etc/2808/1
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sorrebbshah0 … EiKua?dl=0

Hi.
Is there a way to troubleshoot adblock?
somehow it stopped working after firmware update. maybe there were changes in the config? could you please post somewhere adblock config from trunk-r50107-20170526

Thank you in advance.

mmhorda wrote:

Hi.
Is there a way to troubleshoot adblock?
somehow it stopped working after firmware update. maybe there were changes in the config? could you please post somewhere adblock config from trunk-r50107-20170526

Thank you in advance.

hmm. You are still using the Openwrt build? There has been no core development on Openwrt for a year, so it is quite possible that something is not quite compatible as LEDE is the current reference. But more likely you just have old config and old init script symlink

You can find the current default adblock config in /rom directory
/rom/etc/config/adblock

Adblock changed the startup priority a few weeks ago. You should disable and then enable the adblock service. Either from LuCi system/startup page or from cmdline.

(Last edited by hnyman on 8 Jun 2017, 20:38)

hnyman wrote:

hmm. You are still using the Openwrt build? There has been no core development on Openwrt for a year, so it is quite possible that something is not quite compatible as LEDE is the current reference. But more likely you just have old config and old init script symlink

You can find the current default adblock config in /rom directory
/rom/etc/config/adblock

Adblock changed the startup priority a few weeks ago. You should disable and then enable the adblock service. Either from LuCi system/startup page or from cmdline.

Perfect. Thanks it helped.
I know that LEDE is where major development going.
My problem is that I do not have physical access to some of my routers and since they are quite old I decided to update to whatever latest firmware there is on Openwrt.
It does the job. (adblock, upnp, udpxy, sqm, openvpn)  I guess I wont be switching them to LEDE anymore.

(Last edited by mmhorda on 10 Jun 2017, 09:11)

I'm tinkering with a SIP ATA adapter behind my WNDR3800 router running hnyman's 20170620 17.01 LEDE build. SIP registers fine but incoming calls are not working. Last time I fiddled with SIP (on another router) all the SIP support stuff seemed to be on by default so NAT traversal worked out of the box.

Do I need to install or enable something in this build to fix the SIP/NAT issue?

lede-r5121-c84b7eaedd-20171022
ar71xx has been updated to use kernel 4.9 like most other target platforms already were.

hnyman, I just want to say thank you for sharing your efforts with the community.

lede-r5485-d23e1e1e1a-20171209

Openwrt/LEDE merge is apparently progressing finally, and the LEDE source code has got OpenWrt branding during the last few hours.

Thus the newest LEDE build is already branded as "OpenWrt".

I assume that the old dormant OpenWrt codebase gets retired soon, as the LEDE codebase replaces that. I removed the download of the old trunk OpenWrt build, as there really isn't any reason to still use that with WNDR3700/3800.

The discussion might have continued from here.