OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Jul 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

i updated the firmware to your r2028 build with keep settings unchecked--opkg update with same results.  but later in the day, i was able to opkg update without issue hence i was able to install authsae.  still puzzled by the signature check failed though.  thanks again as usual.  now off to continue more 802.11s mesh testing with openwrt.

Hnyman which of the three builds are you using yourself in production?
CC, DD or LEDE?

I want to use LEDE but I'm not sure how stable/reliable the wifi is at this point in time. Between r14xx and r16xx the wifi seemed to be disconnecting from time to time and without noticiting ending up using 4G.

I know the kernel that is being used 4.4 in LEDE has a lot of networking improvements conpared to  3.18 and 4.1 which are used in CC and DD.

At the moment I'm using CC.

(Last edited by bladeoner on 3 Nov 2016, 17:59)

bladeoner wrote:

Hnyman which of the three builds are you using yourself in production?
CC, DD or LEDE?

I am usually using LEDE in one router and CC15.05 build in another. When I build DD trunk every now and then, I temporarily flash that to one of the routers.

LEDE itself is very stable, but there has been some wifi trouble in September/October in the newest mac80211/ath9k driver from upstream. Apparently some new powersave functions were buggy. The first bug (introduced by r1482 on 20160902) was fixed in late September ( https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php … ask_id=176 ) , but then apparently a new bug was introduced in mid-October when the upstream wifi driver was updated. That is supposedly fixed today... https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php … ask_id=241

I did personally not encounter the first bug at all, as these seem to be dependent on the client device, too.

Thank you for your reply hnyman, I will give LEDE another try.

(Last edited by bladeoner on 4 Nov 2016, 07:16)

feeds update -a then

culex@server:~/lede/lede/feeds/luci$ patch -i ../../../WNDR3700-lede-r2171-20161114-1502-luci.patch -p1 --dry-run
checking file applications/luci-app-statistics/root/etc/config/luci_statistics
Hunk #1 FAILED at 50.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
checking file collections/luci-ssl-openssl/Makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 12.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
checking file modules/luci-base/root/etc/config/luci
Hunk #1 succeeded at 22 with fuzz 2.
checking file modules/luci-mod-admin-full/luasrc/view/admin_system/flashops.htm
Hunk #1 FAILED at 40.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
checking file themes/luci-theme-bootstrap/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-bootstrap
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
checking file themes/luci-theme-material/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-material
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED

(Last edited by Culex on 15 Nov 2016, 06:40)

Culex wrote:

feeds update -a then

culex@server:~/lede/lede/feeds/luci$ patch -i ../../../WNDR3700-lede-r2171-20161114-1502-luci.patch -p1 --dry-run
Hunk #1 FAILED at 50.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED

Works for me. Below I first clear all changes from the local repo and then apply the same luci patch as you:

perus@u1610:/Openwrt/lede/feeds/luci$ git reset HEAD .
Unstaged changes after reset:
M    applications/luci-app-statistics/root/etc/config/luci_statistics
M    collections/luci-ssl-openssl/Makefile
M    modules/luci-base/root/etc/config/luci
M    modules/luci-mod-admin-full/luasrc/view/admin_system/flashops.htm
M    themes/luci-theme-bootstrap/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-bootstrap
M    themes/luci-theme-material/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-material
perus@u1610:/Openwrt/lede/feeds/luci$ git checkout -- .
perus@u1610:/Openwrt/lede/feeds/luci$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean
perus@u1610:/Openwrt/lede/feeds/luci$ patch -i ../../bin/targets/ar71xx/generic/WNDR3700-lede-r2171-20161114-1502-luci.patch -p1 --dry-run
checking file collections/luci-ssl-openssl/Makefile
checking file modules/luci-base/root/etc/config/luci
checking file modules/luci-mod-admin-full/luasrc/view/admin_system/flashops.htm
checking file themes/luci-theme-bootstrap/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-bootstrap
checking file themes/luci-theme-material/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-material
perus@u1610:/Openwrt/lede/feeds/luci$ 

Does this or the LEDE builds support WNDR3700v5?

If so, would I just use the non-v2 labelled ones?

ceri wrote:

Does this or the LEDE builds support WNDR3700v5?

If so, would I just use the non-v2 labelled ones?

No, v5 is not supported as it is a different beast. Netgear is just reusing the 3700 designation for it although it has nothing in common with the older models.

My build is just for.v1, v2 and 3800, as they are almost identical.

Are there different hardware versions even of WNDR3700v1 out there?

I'm asking because I'm managing various of these and one of them behaves differently:
I managed to push the WiFi tx power to 20dbm (100mW) on most of them by updating without keeping settings, except for one which still is limited to 17dbm (50mW) in the 2.4 GHz band.

nieroster wrote:

Are there different hardware versions even of WNDR3700v1 out there?

Not to my knowledge. But it is quite possible as in the early days there were rumours that radios in some batch were unstable. So it is quite possible that their might have changed the defaults / limits in EEPROM at some point.

The newest version lede-r2752-2a72a916ab-20170104-musl1116 has been compiled wit musl clib 1.1.16 that is not yet the default (in buildbot), so no add-on packages can be installed to this build.

I just saw I was fooled by the tx power settings:

The only difference between the various WNDR3700v1 I am managing is that some of them let me select 20dBm for tx power, but when you look at the status it says 17dBm (50mW). The same goes for a WNDR3700v2.

What is the maximum tx power you can set on the 2.4 GHz WiFi?

(Last edited by nieroster on 7 Jan 2017, 15:55)

I can select 20 in LuCI, but I have never been really interested about that.

Based on feedback from developers, the TX power that user can select via the driver may still be further limited by the hard-coded limits in EEPROM.

So, I wouldn't care much about issue. One of your devices has a slightly different radio firmware version.

And when you look at the status? Does it also report 20dBm or just 17dBm as mine?

It shows 17 in iwinfo

Hello hnyman, happy new year. Been away for some time might be looking into Wrt again, was wondering if there's been any interesting developments the past months? Haven't been following commit logs for a loong time smile

arokh wrote:

Hello hnyman, happy new year. Been away for some time might be looking into Wrt again, was wondering if there's been any interesting developments the past months? Haven't been following commit logs for a loong time smile

Well, practically all active core developers moved to LEDE in May 2016, so practically all activity is there. Commit log here is rather empty. There is some activity by a few enthusiasts for the wrt1900/1200/3200ac family but otherwise not much. Some backports from LEDE to keep package feed repos compatible.

Personally I have been more active with Netgear R7800 for which I have started a community build on LEDE. https://forum.lede-project.org/t/build- … -r7800/316

LEDE 17.01 has branched and should be published this month. That would be a good option to pickup/restart your activity.

(Last edited by hnyman on 19 Jan 2017, 04:16)

Hi all,  just a wee question, did anyone manage to make minidlna playing h265/hevc codec? I tried 2 install libffmpeg-full, I even tried to compile libffmpeg-custom (with hevc/h265 enabled - in fact with all options enabled) but still h265 is unknown codec sad

Any suggestions, plz?

PhSnake wrote:

did anyone manage to make minidlna playing h265/hevc codec?

Nothing to do with my build. To my knowledge, my build has never included minidlna. Please ask the generic questions elsewhere. Optimally start a new thread for that.

hnyman wrote:
raz123 wrote:

> ath9k: add stability fixes for long standing hang issues

https://github.com/lede-project/source/ … e5c080e960

Hopefully we see this included in hnyman's next build! smile

lede-r3137-f67b0276b6-20170126

That was quick smile
Downloading...

Are you using your new Netgear R7800 as router/firewall or local wifi or both?
Would you recommend it as a future replacement for our WNDR3xxx:s for higher router performance with OpenWRT/LEDE?

Yes, I am using the R7800 as my main router & firewall. Additionally I use one wndr3700 as a slave AP in my LAN.

I like R7800 and it works well. And it is naturally much more powerful.

(From testing & development perspective it is great that it has the same easy tftp recovery mode in u-boot as wndr3700.)

hnyman wrote:

Yes, I am using the R7800 as my main router & firewall. Additionally I use one wndr3700 as a slave AP in my LAN.

I like R7800 and it works well. And it is naturally much more powerful.

(From testing & development perspective it is great that it has the same easy tftp recovery mode in u-boot as wndr3700.)

Thank you for this very interesting information.

hnyman wrote:

I agree. smile
I wish all other devices would be as easy to 'unbrick' as the old WNDR3700.