OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Jul 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

For those using my build as a basis for a self-built version:
With trunk version r39439 I have again reacted to the changes in the busybox config (due to 39345).
I have also dropped the "set date by touching luci_fixtime" from my buildscript, as 39422 made that unnecessary.

Thanks for the heads up on the changes and for making it easy for us to customize our build based on yours.  This really is great.

If it is easy (and can be done with your scripts), it would be nice to get a diff of your changes for each build somehow.  I try to build as often as you do and am always worried I am missing some change you made to a config file.  Maybe you do this and I have not figured it out yet.

Thanks again for sharing.

johnthomas00 wrote:

If it is easy (and can be done with your scripts), it would be nice to get a diff of your changes for each build somehow.

Personally I am always taking a diff between the previous version and the current one, after I have built a new version and before I flash it to my own router (after which I could upload it to Dropbox). I compare the buildscripts file, the diffconfig and config.init files, the three patch files and the status file against expected/unexpected changes.

I do that interactively file by file in Windows using Winmerge, so there is no generic diff available. And as you may have skipped a version in between, providing a mechanistic diff from the previous one would not be that useful.

Hello,
continuing my test in order to use gateway6 tunnelling with trunk builds.
I made good improvements:
- gw6c needed to start the tunnel. Tunnel linked to br-lan
- odhcpd correctly performing RA and DHCPv6 services (no radvd needed)
- IPv6 addresses, gateway, dns correctly distributed to the devices on the LAN
- in order to get internet access on IPv6 for the LAN devices had to change settings in the Firewall LAN zone in order to accept forward (reject by default).
Can anybody help me on the following:
- why IPv6 WAN status in Luci status page is reporting not connected? Is it normal due to IPv6 tunnelling and not ISP native?
- Leasetime for IPv6 is set to 1h and I cannot find where I can change this parameter. Leasetime parameter in /etc/config/dhcp seems to work only on IPv4
- Is there any parameter to reservate an IPv6 address to a specific device on the LAN in order to get a static address for some of them?
- Is there any possibility to connect gateway tunnel with one of the standard packages included in the trunk build? I would like to avoid usage of gw6c , but cannot find a solution.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sergio

sergiosatellite wrote:

Can anybody help me on the following:
- why IPv6 WAN status in Luci status page is reporting not connected? Is it normal due to IPv6 tunnelling and not ISP native?
- Leasetime for IPv6 is set to 1h and I cannot find where I can change this parameter. Leasetime parameter in /etc/config/dhcp seems to work only on IPv4
- Is there any parameter to reservate an IPv6 address to a specific device on the LAN in order to get a static address for some of them?

For a 6in4 tunnel there is support in Luci so that I see the tunnel endpoint as my ipv6 WAN address. Probably gw6c is more exotic and Luci does not support it correctly.

Ipv6 leases are meant to be shorter and thus more reactive to possible address changes.

In stateless RA mode there is probably no way to reserve static address, but in stateful dhcpv6 mode theer probably is. Documentation for odhcpd is here: https://github.com/sbyx/odhcpd

sergiosatellite wrote:

- Is there any possibility to connect gateway tunnel with one of the standard packages included in the trunk build? I would like to avoid usage of gw6c , but cannot find a solution.

Probably not, but it is so rare that I have no real knowledge. Your message was the first time I heard about "gateway server" or "gw6c". If you search this forum for gateway6 or gw6c, you will find only a few messages that mention it. You should open an own thread with a clear title for that discussion, so that the possible answers will get documented more clearly.

(Last edited by hnyman on 2 Feb 2014, 11:25)

The time for DHCPv6 leases isn't really important, the server seems to use a predictable method for generating an address from the given DUID, so as long as that doesn't change (Which it sometimes can for no discernible reason) you'll always get the same IPv6 address.

And because the server currently doesn't release addresses (Maybe it does now, I need to reflash), it's really not an issue.

@ hnyman
Thanks for your answers. I will start a new thread on gw6c. Hope some other people is using this tunnelling system.

@The-Decryptor
I'm currently running trunk r39399 and unfortunately each time I'm disconnecting my desktop windows 8.1 on LAN, at the restart it is getting a different IPv6 address. This is the reason of my request.

Regards

Sergio

My 8.1 machine is one of the few machines I have that doesn't churn addresses, it is the DHCPv6 address that's changing right, and not one of the others? (You'll have at least 3 addresses on your public prefix, the DHCPv6 one will only be 3 characters on the end of your prefix)

The_Decryptor wrote:

My 8.1 machine is one of the few machines I have that doesn't churn addresses, it is the DHCPv6 address that's changing right, and not one of the others? (You'll have at least 3 addresses on your public prefix, the DHCPv6 one will only be 3 characters on the end of your prefix)

I found the answer.
windows 7 and 8 machines are using by default 2 privacy systems introduced in last revisssions of IPv6:
1. the machine (not the DHCP) is calculating an IPv6 address with a random system and not with the EUI-64 based on MAC address.
2. the machine is calculating another IPv6 address (called temporary address).

With this configuaration:
- the standard address is not registered on the DNS, but could be used for connections from WAN
- temporary address is registered on the DNS and used for outgoing connections to WAN

There are two usefull command to change this configuration:
Force the system to avoid creating temporary address:
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent
Force the system to calculate standard IPV6 address with EUI-64:
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent

Commands need to be run with administrator rights. store=pesrsistent parameted will cause paramters to be valid also after a reboot of the machine.
Hope above can help.
Sergio

hnyman,

What's your general approach for matching up kernel packages to your build? I've seen it asked a couple times and merely a recommendation to force-depends. For example... kmod-ipt-nathelper-extra could be useful to have around. Granted, a force-depends works fine for that package, but might it be beneficial to maintain kernel specific module builds for your build?

(Last edited by yardley on 6 Feb 2014, 17:48)

I recently switched from arokh Openwrt build for WNDR3700v1 to this one and I noticed a very big difference in WAN to LAN Throughput. I had around 400Mbps and now it does not go above 165Mbps. I am using PPPoE on WAN side and I have 1Gbps connection. Is there something that can be done to fix this ? Thanks hnyman.

Regarding kernel modules, I try to not add new modules, just to keep the build simple. I don't want to complicate things and so I do not try to maintain also a separate packages archive for my build. So only the modules included are available from me. Should you want something else, one sure way is to copy my environment and rebuild it yourself, with the additional packages included.

Regarding network throughput, I have no idea. My build has the standard networking & wifi components, but so probably did Arokh's.

Using Attitude build, speed is about 270Mbps but is unstable and usually reboots the router during speed test.

toogoody wrote:

Using Attitude build, speed is about 270Mbps but is unstable and usually reboots the router during speed test.

Are you talking about Wifi? Wired WAN?

Rebooting sounds like you load the router so much that it hits a software bug, some buffer/counter overflows or alternatively the router overheats. A general problem with home routers is that the chips do no have heatsinks and can overheat pretty easily under heavy load.

If you want to do something, you should config the system log to be stored somewhere outside the router and try to check the log after a reboot for any evidence of the faulty module.

Additionally, AA12.09 is mostly summer 2012 code, and not many of the later bugfixes in kernel and drivers have been backported to it. Trunk build might actually be a better platform for you.

(Last edited by hnyman on 7 Feb 2014, 11:30)

Thanks hnyman for your efforts creating this build. I tested it but experience some issues with the WAN port ...
What I'm trying to do is to use either PPPoE or DHCP (if connected to my current router), but neither option seems to work. No IP address is being assigned (though, the default Netgear firmware is able to operate the WAN port, so there should be no hardware fault). Even if using a static address, it does not work.

The only piece of information I could gather comes from ifconfig:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:5 

and the log files show:

[   22.960000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

However, this is for IPv6 and should not harm (using IPv4 ...). I'm using the latest trunk version for Barrier Breaker, but the problem occured also using AA.

Malachi wrote:

I have a wndr3700 which has a non functioning wan port. Can I assign one of the LANs to act as a wan port with openwrt.

That does not directly relate to my build...
You probably need to define VLANs for the LAN switch ports. Separate one port to its own VLAN and assign that port to a new interface that you then configure to use DHCP and to act as the default route to internet. Search the forum and Openwrt wiki for similar questions. You are probably not the first one to ask that.

:-) 0p3nWRT_r0ckZ :-) wrote:

I tested it but experience some issues with the WAN port ...
What I'm trying to do is to use either PPPoE or DHCP (if connected to my current router), but neither option seems to work. No IP address is being assigned (though, the default Netgear firmware is able to operate the WAN port, so there should be no hardware fault).

Sounds strange. With the default config, the WAN port should work quite normally and use DHCP. You might have to reset the settings and try again. Does it not work after a clean flash? (if you flash without preserving settings)

hnyman wrote:

Sounds strange. With the default config, the WAN port should work quite normally and use DHCP. You might have to reset the settings and try again. Does it not work after a clean flash? (if you flash without preserving settings)

Sure, I did a clean install via TFTP method a couple of times. I do not see any reason why it should not work. Notice the "interrupt 5" entry in ifconfig. No idea where it comes from. Factory image works just fine, acquires IP address and starts routing ...

Sorry for asking here. The wiki page for the wndr3700 has a link to here.
I will delete my post.
Btw I did a google search for it but didn't come up with anything.
Thanks.

Malachi wrote:

Sorry for asking here. The wiki page for the wndr3700 has a link to here.
I will delete my post.
Btw I did a google search for it but didn't come up with anything.
Thanks.

Based on quick googling, there are several discussion here. Not sure if they will help you, but there is advice available:
https://www.google.com/search?q=openwrt+use+lan+port+as+wan+site:forum.openwrt.org

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Feb 2014, 21:28)

Thank you, those all seem to want to make the wan port into a lan port. My wan port is dead. I need to do the reverse.
Also those all seem to relate to Broadcom devices which I know how to do.
Thanks for the help. No need to respond anymore.
Feel free to delete all my posts regarding this.

(Last edited by Malachi on 9 Feb 2014, 23:36)

/etc/init.d/network restart
Command failed: Not found
'radio0' is disabled
'radio1' is disabled

trying to investigate where the problem comes from ... found this. Any idea how to get the command that failed?

hnyman wrote:
toogoody wrote:

Are you talking about Wifi? Wired WAN?

Rebooting sounds like you load the router so much that it hits a software bug, some buffer/counter overflows or alternatively the router overheats. A general problem with home routers is that the chips do no have heatsinks and can overheat pretty easily under heavy load.

If you want to do something, you should config the system log to be stored somewhere outside the router and try to check the log after a reboot for any evidence of the faulty module.

Additionally, AA12.09 is mostly summer 2012 code, and not many of the later bugfixes in kernel and drivers have been backported to it. Trunk build might actually be a better platform for you.

I am talking about Wired WAN and LAN. I will try to flash Attitude build again and see if any thing appears in the log when it reboots.
Untill then I'd like to report another thing form current Trunk build : My log is spammed with this :

Mon Feb 10 11:55:20 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:55:24 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:55:31 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:55:47 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:56:19 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:56:22 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:56:31 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:56:48 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address

Basicly all my system log contains this DHCP warning.

toogoody wrote:

Untill then I'd like to report another thing form current Trunk build : My log is spammed with this :

Mon Feb 10 11:55:20 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address
Mon Feb 10 11:55:24 2014 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1995]: DHCP packet received on eth1 which has no address

Basicly all my system log contains this DHCP warning.

Probably something related to your specific configuration. Was it pppoe on wan?
Quick googling showed these: https://www.google.com/search?q=openwrt+DHCP+packet+received+on+eth1+which+has+no+address

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=27241
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/10570

I had already tried google fixes , not working.

toogoody wrote:

I had already tried google fixes , not working.

Then file either a bug or initiate an own thread here, with a clear explanation of your network & dhcp config. Apparently it is something brought up by your current network & dhcp config combined to the current trunk network components.

EDIT:
regarding the speed issue you mentioned earlier, there is also a thread regarding max. speed difference between AA and trunk:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=45864

(Last edited by hnyman on 10 Feb 2014, 17:37)