OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Which flash chip could I use?

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,
I would very much like to mod my Dlink WBR-1310 D1 by replacing the current 2Mb flash chip (Spansion 29F016) with something compatible with that has at least 4Mb and is inexpensive.

I've read elsewhere that you should use the Spansion 29F032, however I don't believe it is still being made (I did call around and one store said it cost $16, but upon further consideration they may have confused this with a different 32Mb chip with a similar sounding name).

Any recommendations?

I welcome your input.

(Last edited by neoveo on 20 Jan 2011, 07:04)

neoveo wrote:

I've read elsewhere that you should use the Spansion 29F032, however I don't believe it is still being made (I did call around and one store said it cost $16, but upon further consideration they may have confused this with a different 32Mb chip with a similar sounding name).

Any recommendations?

I don't know what your intention is w.r.t the mod, let alone how much RAM does a DLink WBR-1310 D1 device has. However, I have a hunch its RAM size is no more than 32MB. That said, I am not sure if I want to waste $16 + some valuable time on soldering to just replace the Flash to a 32MB. If you can still find and get an inexpensive Seagate DockStar with a Marvell Kirkwood ARM5 CPU clocked @1.2GHz, 128/256 MB RAM/NAND, 4 USB2 ports, and 1 10/100/1000 Mbps Rj45 port to run OpenWRT, this may be a better deal. Last year, a lot of us got our inexpensive Seagate DockStar device for less than $20. Anyway, add a 3G / 4G WiFi USB dongle (and a 4-port gIGE switch) to one of its USB ports, the device can be easily turned into a 3G / 4G WiFi NAT/Firewall router. With a 128MB RAM and virtually unlimited space through some external USB storages, this self-concocted 3G / 4G WiFi NAT/Firewall router can also be used as a server to host a lot of services, i.e. Asterisk, FreeSWITCH, etc., for private use. I have my Seagate DockStar running on a self-built OpenWRT with FreeSWITCH and it is connected behind my main NAT/Firewall router. Just my 2ยข.

Hi Mazilo,
Small world, it's good to see a familiar face here.

I am just looking for a small fun project to do, I've explained it in this thread:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28188

I think you are confusing RAM with Flash Ram.
The WBR-1310 has only 2Mb Flash Ram (not enough for OpenWrt) and 16 Mb RAM.

If I can find an inexpensive Flash Chip that will give me 4Mb of room to put OpenWrt on it then I'll do - just for the fun of it all.

I did look at the Dockstar, it looks great and I really like the mod you've done, however I cannot find it anywhere for less than $40.

I am hoping to keep my budget for this fun project at around $10 all in (I think I already have most of the parts required to build the Jtag cable, already have the router, just need a Flash chip).

(Last edited by neoveo on 20 Jan 2011, 15:57)

The discussion might have continued from here.