OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: news 'hacking' based on openwrt?

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Jan 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Just because it's busybox doesn't mean it's OpenWrt.

What is this product? I've never heard of that device? Is it cheap?

Such hardware is generally available or can be easily build on your own. Conrad is a famous store here in Germany selling tons of hardware components allowing you to build such a box.

I don't think its OpenWRT because such devices often have pretty small memory and extremely limited capacities. Dont think that OpenWRT would run on that box.

This "article" just once again shows that public wi-fi is a threat to your security and I can only suggest using VPN on public wifi always and either log in to your company or to your OpenWRT box at home with OpenVPN.

Looks like a SheevaPlug but with Atheros hardware?

right, this board would be capable of basic regexp, imo.
i bet their website will get seized soon.

edit: they posted a video - http://vimeo.com/18579619

(Last edited by binary.koala on 9 Jan 2011, 14:51)

What is the cheapest Openwrt capable wifi AP? I'm thinking it'd only need some GPIOs, ethernet port and G. I think the Meraki might be very easy, but these generics seem pretty good too.

it seems that Atheros based SoC devices (http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/atherosport) work better for custom projects, especially the ones involving wireless - atheros drives have been in the linux kernel for a couple of years already.

Looks like a fake story to me.  First, check the console, the prompt says 'newstweek', the ACSII art above has the same word.  Now, look at the URL for the story:  newstweek.com.    This site only seems to have the one article, about this device, and other spoof looking stories on the front page.

I call shenanigans.

The story could be fake but the honeypot is not difficult to make. It reminds me that, could there be a honeypoy in the mesh network? I mean a fake hotspot pretended to be one of the mesh network but actually not.

(Last edited by fyi on 12 Jan 2011, 09:35)

Seems like the typical Berlin techno/new media art project.

It is based on OpenWrt. They list it in the longer Vimeo video.

The discussion might have continued from here.