OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Backfire - Random reboot probably connected to ATH9K

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

My configuration:

ASUS WL-500G Premium v1
minipci TP-Link TL-WN961N v1.2 (AR5416-AC1A)
Backfire SVN (rev 24824)

Wifi: 802.11ng, HT20, encryption: psk2 (tried also with "none")

Sometimes, when wifi is enabled, the router reboots itself.

My only debug attempt was starting a remote ssh to the router and executing "top" and "logread -f", but when the router reboots i loose the connection before it prints anything.. at the moment of the disconnection cpu and ram usage are normal.

I haven't a serial interface and I'm looking for another way to debug it, someone talked me about netconsole, but I don't know how to enable it without recompiling kernel.

The reboots occurs only with some kind of data traffic, for example when I open from a ms-windows wifi client a samba share with many pictures from a wired server (I think this is because the client sends many concurrent requests to get the preview of any picture), sometime while playing videos from youtube.
With single-file HTTP/FTP transfer I do not have any problem,  I can download a ~1GB file from a wired server via wifi client at about 3MB/s.

When the router is up the wifi link is always good and the client connects at 130Mbps without any problem.

When wifi is down I don't have any problem.

Think this could be related to:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=26012
and ticket:

(Last edited by lore20 on 6 Jan 2011, 14:30)

OpenWrt includes a kernel patch for crash logging. Check if there's anything in /sys/kernel/debug/crashlog after the router rebooted itself.

There is no /sys/kernel/debug/crashlog (debugfs is correctly mounted on /sys/kernel/debug)

I have opened ticket 8600: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/8600

(Last edited by lore20 on 13 Jan 2011, 21:49)

The discussion might have continued from here.