OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Mikrotik RB750G and reading NAND

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Is anyone currently looking at the 750G? Anyone managed to get it to work?

I've been having a bit of a play and can get to a point where I can ssh in to the box ( it has no console port that I can find sad ) with a netbooted image. However, it fails to find the flash chip.

I've tried treating it the same as the 450G, since the hardware seemed similar. However, the 450G seems to read the NAND via a CPLD connected to the SPI, but I don't think that there is a CPLD in the 750G at all. In any case using the nand driver for the 450G reads a device and manufacturer ID of 0xFF, which suggests that there is nothing there.

I've also tried using the nand driver from the 750, but again this doesn't work, reading device/manufacturer ids of 0xF0. ( Actually it makes sense that it doesn't work, since the 750 uses a AR7240 which presumably has different GPIO registers etc. )

I'm guessing that the access method will be similar to the 750, since the only chips to speak of on the board are the ar8316 switch, the ar7161 SoC, a nand flash and a RAM chip, so it would make sense that the NAND is read via the GPIO of the 7161... however, if this is the case then without knowing how the GPIO is connected it would seem to be impossible to guess. Someone must have found out how the NAND is connected in the 750 - anyone care to tell me how they did it, or any suggestions? Are there supported boxes which use NAND and a 7161 which may give any clues?

Ta.

Adam

(Last edited by sidepipe on 5 Jan 2011, 19:00)

Is this working now?

I know the 750 is fully supported and there are guides as to how to load it onto the RB-750 on the web.

And what about the 750GL and the 750U? Are they in a working state?

The discussion might have continued from here.