OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: First thoughs on Linksys WAG120N

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all.

As a frustrated new Linksys owner, I decided to give a try on better firmwares than those Linksys/Cisco provides. I found no references to this WAG120N device on the forums, but from the (crude) logs found on the device, I could easely notice this thing already runs a Linux kernel.

I also found on the Linksys support pages some open source files, which explained me a thing or two about this device.

Before I start to mess things around, I would love a word or two of advice. And no, I did not physically opened it yet, so no clue if it has or not a JTAG port. From the source files, I see this device has 4Mb serial flash, has a "Amazon SE" BSP version 1.3.1 and there are both firmware sources and u-boot source files available. It looks quite similar to WAG160N...

Anyway:

1. How can I restore this device in case it got bricked? Should the "reboot+tftp+uploading a Linksys original firmware" method be applied?

2. This device is a wireless router plus ADSL2+ modem, and I'm unsure the ADSL2+ drivers are available on the Linksys source code. Still need to look at. Any tips for known drivers are welcome.

3. As said above, this device is a wireless router. I read somewhere (maybe over DD-WRT pages) it is advised to get some calibration data file before flashing custom/3rd party firmwares, and later use this file for proper wireless operation. As there is zero access to the device running the stock firmware, not sure how easy would be to extract this file.

I am going to play with backfire SVN files, any recommendations?

Is there anything else anyone can tell me about it?

Thanks for your time.

(Last edited by hquest on 19 Dec 2010, 03:30)

There are two processors on this board: An Infineon PSB 50600 HL V1.2 (the Amazon SE BSP) and a RaLink RT3050F [s]switch[/s] 802.11bgn USB processor. There are also two EntronTech flash mems, EM638165TS-6G (8Mb) and EM63A165TS-6G (16Mb). The single antenna cable is, lol, ironed to the green PCB. There are two more antenna connectors, and an internal, PCB printed Antenna. I see no apparent JTAG serial port, however playing with a network sniffer, right after boot I see tons of unusual broadcasts, filled with data coming from the ethernet port. I guess I saw something about this anywhere.

Still, below is a picture of the internals, if anyone want to take a look at. Please note, I suck at taking pictures.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1387/dscn1308.th.jpg

(Last edited by hquest on 20 Dec 2010, 00:58)

Interestingly enough, that's the same board used in Sitecom 300N X2, namely "WL-359" v1.001 product.

I may look for jtag/serial, too.

no pint there is no adsl support in openwrt for that platform......... fuck those asshole wjo don't release drivers

I found some interesting new stuff about this router - and the new Attitude Adjustment beta has binaries for the Amazon SE SoC. I've posted my findings here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39234.

in make menuconfig, use:

Target System (Lantiq GPON/XWAY/SVIP)
Subtarget (Amazon-SE)
Target Profile (EASY50601)
and ramdisk as target image

hook up serial console at 115200 8n1, stop at uboot prompt:
tftpboot 80500000 openwrt-lantiq-ase-EASY50601-uImage

On my Sitecom wl-367 (300n) boots ok, even modem seems to be recognized.
It suffers from occasional reboots (netifd exausts ram somewhat).

MTD patritions aren't created, wifi not detected, ...

I found by chance Lynksys gpl code wag120n_v1.00.12_eu_annexB.tgz is a real goldmine for amazon SE bsp... i'm digging into it smile

Hi. I am a total newbie. I don't even know how to use the serial port.

I have a WAG120N and I'm interested in having OpenWRT on this. If you tell me something I can do, i'll try.

Hi.

Can you find GPL Code for this board? )))

Thanks.

rAndy wrote:

in make menuconfig, use:

Target System (Lantiq GPON/XWAY/SVIP)
Subtarget (Amazon-SE)
Target Profile (EASY50601)
and ramdisk as target image

hook up serial console at 115200 8n1, stop at uboot prompt:
tftpboot 80500000 openwrt-lantiq-ase-EASY50601-uImage

On my Sitecom wl-367 (300n) boots ok, even modem seems to be recognized.
It suffers from occasional reboots (netifd exausts ram somewhat).

MTD patritions aren't created, wifi not detected, ...

I found by chance Lynksys gpl code wag120n_v1.00.12_eu_annexB.tgz is a real goldmine for amazon SE bsp... i'm digging into it smile

Why did you stop man ? I'm just a newbie or else I would've helped. You'll help many.

I love taking photos. And I don't find clear photos of the router. So i opened mine and take 2 good (i think) photos. Here they are: http://imgur.com/a/sV7qi

I also found this another page, maybe it's useful: http://www.devttys0.com/2011/05/reverse … s-wag120n/

The problem is i cannot find the firmware online or the GPL code. Is it possible to extract it from the router via telnet or something like that? (i guess it's not)

The discussion might have continued from here.