1,251

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

I have to experiment with settings, but can't achieve nice result.

I don't understand depending. If I choose 40mhz 2nd channel above and higher channel I get status "Wireless is disabled or not associated". At "40mhz 2nd channel above" I can't connect to wireless. This is happens on 2.4 and 5ghz. Where I can read about depending all this params? (HT mode, country code, channel, transmit power). Maybe someone share working values of this parameters for max speed?

1,252 (edited by joszz 2011-04-21 22:16:59)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

I have DDNS configured
/etc/config/ddns

config 'service' 'myddns'
    option 'ip_source' 'network'
    option 'ip_network' 'wan'
    option 'force_interval' '72'
    option 'force_unit' 'hours'
    option 'check_interval' '10'
    option 'check_unit' 'minutes'
    option 'username' '*********'
    option 'password' '************'
    option 'enabled' '1'
    option 'domain' '*********'
    option 'service_name' 'zoneedit.com'

But I can't find a entry in the logs that my ip is updated. Is there a way to check it's updated other than the logs?
If I start /usr/lib/ddns/dynamic_dns_updater.sh, the ip is updated, but no entries in the log.

1,253

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Hello!

I just read trough all the posts in this Topic and i would like to thank arokh, the OpenWrt team and everyone else that is making this nice piece of firmware.

I have a wndr 3700 (with up-to-date stock firmware) and it has been running stable for 8 months now (with the exception of one lock, wich could only be rebooted with terminating the power).
Although i want to change the firmware, because i want to have a svn server on it (netgear also supports this but also with other firmware: http://www.readynas.com/?p=420'.
But now i found this topic wich sound alot more interesting, and according to https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=11693 i should be able to install it to your firmware quite eazy.

I do however have a couple of questions:
1. I currently have a ntfs formated 2TB drive connected to the router, containing data (documents, music, films, backup images). Would formating it to ext4 make the usage of it (with Samba) faster?
2. Am i able to remove packets, like UPNP, NAT and VPN to make more space so that i wont have to use extroot?
3. I read somewhere @ the start that you used ubuntu as your base OS, wouldnt DamnSmallLinux be better? (i guess it doesnt matter now since you probebly stripped all the stuff you dont need)
4. I saw somewhere that you included mac filtering (also known as an ACL), but it is not refered to on page 1. Is is still in this build or do i have to add it myself?
5. How can you acces the router form a windows pc (xp or 7) when it has your firmware? (i think something like Putty, havent tryed the program yet)
6. How does the torrent/nzb programs work? Do you just upload .torrent and /nzb files to the router with samba or ftp or is there a web interface?
7. Is there some way that i can change the gui? (i C# java c++ html asp etc, just no experience with Linux)
8. Wont setting the transmit power (dbm) higher, break your hardware faster? (I know that in my country the max allowed is 100 mW, so 20 dBm i guess that it is bad for your health, souce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Health_Issues )

1,254

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

1. Yes, EXT4 would make it A LOT faster than with ntfs-3g.
2. No, firmware is read-only. You don't need extroot unless you want to add packages.
3. If you are talking about the firmware, OpenWrt itself is a Linux distribution. It's not based on Ubuntu or anything else.
4. This build is based on OpenWrt trunk, and mac filtering has been added to trunk.
5. SSH or web browser, refer to docs.
6. Basically, you run it with -D to daemonize, then copy nzb's into the scan dir. http://nzbget.sourceforge.net/Overview#Usage
7. Yes, the source is available.
8. I don't know.

In other news, shairport is available on my repo now smile

1,255

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Thank you for your fast reply, i will try out your new firmware tonight when i get home.

Two last questions refering question 2.
1. Can i decompile your image somehow or get the source, so that i can remove/add certain packages in the image?
2. What heapons when i restart my router, will newly added packages (that i add after i install your image):
a. get removed?
b. start on init?
c. have correct config values (if i changed them after i installed a package)?

1,256

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Full source is available. Check out the first post for info.

1,257

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

TQwan wrote:

Thank you for your fast reply, i will try out your new firmware tonight when i get home.

Two last questions refering question 2.
1. Can i decompile your image somehow or get the source, so that i can remove/add certain packages in the image?
2. What heapons when i restart my router, will newly added packages (that i add after i install your image):
a. get removed?
b. start on init?
c. have correct config values (if i changed them after i installed a package)?

1. Get the source and check the wiki for how to build it from source.
2. Packages you have installed will work just like the ones that come preinstalled. If they are configured to start on init, they will do so. Since the JFFS2 partitions is overlayed on top of the read-only SquashFS partition you can change any file you want. Basically, when you make a change to one of the files from the SquashFS partition it will make a copy of the file to the writeable JFFS2 partition and make the changes there.

1,258

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

@TQwan

Why don't you install the firmware already and find out yourself smile wiki.openwrt.org has answers to most of your questions as well.

1,259

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

I will, just needed some pointers where to start. tongue

I'm going to eighter create my own image based on your work or just use your image and edit it. But i would like to thank you alot for making this all availeble and answering my questions.

1,260 (edited by joszz 2011-04-25 12:07:08)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

joszz wrote:
joszz wrote:

I'm using your build for a week now, and it's working like a charm, thanks.

I searched the forum and read the wireless docs, and it seems there is no support for a wireless mac filter.
Does anyone found a solution for this?

Tried it before, and it gave me an error when I restarted wifi, so I figured it was like the wiki said, not working yet.

Today I tried it again, same error, I put it in the "config 'wifi-device'" section....wrong!
So I put it in the "config 'wifi-iface'" section, and it's working now.

Thanks arokh

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9102  is reporting a bug that with mac80211,
"macfilter" and "maclist" options MUST be r|w to "wifi-device" (like described in OpenWRT WIKI) instead of "wifi-iface" sections.

MAC-filtering is working now, but when this bug is fixed, I must fix my settings.

I was wondering if there was already luci support for wireless mac filter.
And sure, someone already posted a ticket https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9103
It is fixed already in "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991"

But it's not showing in luci, or am I missing something.

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

@arokh

Since a couple of builds I am no longer able to connect to the upper channels on 5GHz on my mac, when I look at the aiport settings the Reg Domain seems to be DE (Germany) where 149+ are not allowed. Did anything change in the reg domain patches you applied in the past to your build?

Thanks!

1,262

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

abolition wrote:

@arokh

Since a couple of builds I am no longer able to connect to the upper channels on 5GHz on my mac, when I look at the aiport settings the Reg Domain seems to be DE (Germany) where 149+ are not allowed. Did anything change in the reg domain patches you applied in the past to your build?

Thanks!

Have this problem too. 48 (5.240 GHz) channel is max working channel.

1,263 (edited by behappy 2011-04-23 13:54:40)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Regarding MB check system settings > airport (see supported channels). For sure that is not wndr3700 blocking for connection at higher channel. Ive struggled w. MB w/o any better result, since MB connects w. the first appeared AP and auto sets the locale/regdomain. I tried once set to TW to gain access to higher channels, but no luck

1,264 (edited by abolition 2011-04-23 14:23:59)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

behappy wrote:

Regarding MB check system settings > airport (see supported channels). For sure that is not wndr3700 blocking for connection at higher channel. Ive struggled w. MB w/o any better result, since MB connects w. the first appeared AP and auto sets the locale/regdomain. I tried once set to TW to gain access to higher channels, but no luck

I have never been able to connect to the upper channels until Arokh changed the regdomain patch that also allowed for the higher throughput, but since a couple of builds I am no longer able to connect to the 5GHz network which sits on 161 HT40-, I have not changed any setting on the laptop or router just did the normal sysupgrade. I am well aware of how the mac assigns the reg domain, and that before it said US and now it says DE/NL leaving me without the chance of connecting to the 5GHZ network sad. The 5GHz is the first network in the list of favorite networks. I have tried to reboot multiple times but it always connects to the 2.4GHZ (second favorite network).

1,265 (edited by Tadream 2011-04-23 18:24:07)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

I'm having random restarts. (had one last week and just now again).
I was just browsing the internet, nothing special, no downloads or anything
and it just restarts.
Version 26744 running here.
It's just the plain firmware loaded, an external USB attached and one wired laptop and two wireless devices attached.
Is there anything I can check?

(I've just uploaded the latest 26748 and see how that goes)

1,266

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

arokh wrote:

Hold on, r26744 is the first patched build lol sorry smile

# swconfig dev rtl8366s help | grep max_length
    Attribute 6 (int): max_length (Get/Set the maximum length of valid packets (0 = 1522, 1 = 1536, 2 = 1552, 3 = 16000))

I need some advice. Is there a package w. jumbo frame? Where to lead on your server? related to samba package? Thanks for reply.

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

A couple of quick questions.  Is there a WAN IP release/renew button in the gui somewhere?  Also, where can I find the gui for wireless MAC filtering?  Thanks.

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

My VnStat graphs haven't updated since installing r26748.  I get an error that says:

Error: Unable create database backup "/www/vnstat/.eth1"

If I try and create that file myself I get this:

touch: /www/vnstat/.eth1: No space left on device

My overlay still has space available:

root@OpenWrt /root# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.4M      6.4M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    30.3M    432.0K     29.9M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4          320.0K    256.0K     64.0K  80% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      320.0K    256.0K     64.0K  80% /

Anyone else got this problem?

1,269

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

joszz wrote:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9102. is reporting a bug that with mac80211,
"macfilter" and "maclist" options MUST be r|w to "wifi-device" (like described in OpenWRT WIKI) instead of "wifi-iface" sections.

MAC-filtering is working now, but when this bug is fixed, I must fix my settings.

I was wondering if there was already luci support for wireless mac filter.
And sure, someone already posted a ticket https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9103.
It is fixed already in "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991"

But it's not showing in luci, or am I missing something.

I'd post both tickets, but as i know, it doesent implemented at all.
btw: in luci this must be look like this:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9682/macfilter.jpg

1,270

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

@abolition

I don't patch regdomain, just not set CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD so the ath9k driver works as intended.

@Tadream

minidlna seems to have a memleak and it will cause my router to reboot because I have a big library. Try disabling it and see if the restarts stop.

@behappy

Jumbo frame is now supported, no package needed the switch driver is patched already. Use swconfig to set maxlength.

@taekwon3dan

Don't know about GUI, but you can do "ifup wan" to renew. MAC filter is not implemented in Luci yet (for mac80211 at least).

@thesnowman

If you fill up overlay space you have to reboot before it "clears up" I think.

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

arokh wrote:

@abolition

I don't patch regdomain, just not set CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD so the ath9k driver works as intended.

@Tadream

minidlna seems to have a memleak and it will cause my router to reboot because I have a big library. Try disabling it and see if the restarts stop.

@behappy

Jumbo frame is now supported, no package needed the switch driver is patched already. Use swconfig to set maxlength.

@taekwon3dan

Don't know about GUI, but you can do "ifup wan" to renew. MAC filter is not implemented in Luci yet (for mac80211 at least).

@thesnowman

If you fill up overlay space you have to reboot before it "clears up" I think.

By the power of magic, and possibly the downtime due to yesterday's electricity shortage my router is now transmitting again the way it was... I didnt change anything but i can see channel 161 again, my regdomain has changed on my mac to PH from DE...

1,272

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Mosh wrote:
joszz wrote:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9102 is reporting a bug that with mac80211,
"macfilter" and "maclist" options MUST be r|w to "wifi-device" (like described in OpenWRT WIKI) instead of "wifi-iface" sections.

MAC-filtering is working now, but when this bug is fixed, I must fix my settings.

I was wondering if there was already luci support for wireless mac filter.
And sure, someone already posted a ticket https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9103
It is fixed already in "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991"

But it's not showing in luci, or am I missing something.

I'd post both tickets, but as i know, it doesent implemented at all.
btw: in luci this must be look like this:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9682/macfilter.jpg

Strange, the adjustment in this ticket is in the wifi.lua of "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991", I'm running.

1,273 (edited by Mosh 2011-04-25 13:58:51)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

joszz wrote:

Strange, the adjustment in this ticket is in the wifi.lua of "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991", I'm running.

But it doesn't work? Or U can find mac-filtering Luci options?

1,274

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

Mosh wrote:
joszz wrote:

Strange, the adjustment in this ticket is in the wifi.lua of "OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r26716)/LuCI Trunk 0.10+svn6991", I'm running.

But it doesn't work? Or U can find mac-filtering Luci options?

It does not show on the wireless interface page as in the picture you post, or any where else.

1,275

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

If implemented, LUCI must show the MAC-filtering menu. Otherwise it's not implemented :-\