OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

arokh wrote:

The build is pretty packed already, there's no room for cups in there and I can think of more useful things to put in there first. If you won't be using the router as a NAS you are better off with the official builds as they leave more space for jffs2.

I have the issue only with cups.
Other packages have been installed on usb and they work without troubles but cups...no big_smile
I'll renounce to cups, i'm need only to make my network printer "airprint capable" wink

Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err nmbd[1584]: [2010/12/17 18:36:51, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(826)
Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err nmbd[1584]:   Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host OpenWrt
Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err nmbd[1584]: [2010/12/17 18:36:51, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(826)
Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err nmbd[1584]:   Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host OpenWrt
Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err smbd[1586]: [2010/12/17 18:36:51, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(826)
Dec 17 18:36:51 OpenWrt user.err smbd[1586]:   Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host OpenWrt

Fix:

/etc/hosts
192.168.1.1 OpenWrt

Edit: Except it points back to my computer duh, but at least it shows up now.

Edit2: Works perfectly now, forgot I had to point to \\192.168.1.1\sda1

Random Question : Getting 404 on MiniDLNA (http://192.168.1.1:8200), normal? Never used it so.. don't know

Also if someone managed to install transmission I'm interested

(Last edited by sruon on 17 Dec 2010, 19:10)

I always add OpenWrt to my hosts file, guess that's why it worked for me.

You should do some testing on different protocols btw, from what I can tell DLNA performs much better CPU wise when streaming, look at 'top' when streaming a high bitrate MKV from DLNA/NFS/SMB. Second fastest is NFS.

(Last edited by arokh on 17 Dec 2010, 20:03)

sruon wrote:

I installed Transmission on usb, it works very well ;

coatto87 wrote:
sruon wrote:

I installed Transmission on usb, it works very well ;

Yeah, after 20 hours of headache I managed to get SMB and Transmission to work, all I wanted!

coatto87 wrote:

Could you add cups in your build?
I have many troubles to get it working from usb and on flash there isn't avaiable space left to install it.

Why not use p910nd? It's not completely the same but it works just fine with a remote CUPS installation.

Borromini wrote:
coatto87 wrote:

I have many troubles to get it working from usb and on flash there isn't avaiable space left to install it.

Why not use p910nd? It's not completely the same but it works just fine with a remote CUPS installation.

I don't know if i can use p910nd as the same way of cups to make my printer "airprint capable".
I read this tutorial http://www.rho.cc/index.php/linux2/48-m … t-via-cups wink

Good afternoon arokh,

Let me first start by thanking you for the awesome job you have done in making the wnrd3700 an incredible device.

I am currently running on your OpenWrt | Kamikaze (r24535) build that i got from the dropbox link you put at dd-wrt forum.

I do have to point a couple of issues, sorry...

1 - I am unable to use wireless lan on the Band N for intel AGN cards (it sux bc at home I have 2 laptops with that that are unable to connect and 2 macs that work perfectly!). Do you know when that is fixed, if its in your control of course... I know is a known issue (https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7697)
2 - I am not able to get the "Essentials" button on the Luci interface. Is this intended? Is there anyway to get it back? (see screens below)
3 - QoS doesnt work, if you try to install the package, or edit the config at /etc/config/qos and try to start the service it will say its not compatible and fail to start... sad

http://i51.tinypic.com/smrsqt.png

root@OpenWrt /root# /etc/init.d/qos restart
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Dump terminated
Dump terminated
We have an error talking to the kernel
Cannot find device "imq0"
root@OpenWrt /root#

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1075632084.png

I would like to make a bridged network, put my sister on it and limit the speed to something that allows the rest of the users to work, since it seems she doesnt understand that unlimited upload in torrents makes the rest of the internet usage unusable.

I remember that in DDWRT you could do bandwidth control on ips, can you do that on Openwrt, that might work out too...

4 - Sometimes Radios are not broadcasting (sometimes I am missing the 5G link)

Like for example now sad

5 - Mount point screen fails to automount stuff after reboot... (am i missing something? see screen below)

http://i53.tinypic.com/xkvf4o.png

I saw you basically installed the whole list of packages, lawl, so overlay runs out of space veeery soon.

Following this guide (http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/howto/con … D=hardware) I changed the storage size from 900k? to 750MB X).

I think that if possible it should be added by default so all users can get the extra space.

I have a couple of questions, first one is, how do i update my current build to your latest one without loosing any of my settings? (including overlay space) and second, is there any way to change the power of the antennas? I remember that when I was using DD-WRT it was reporting 26 db on band 2.4G and 23db on band 5G and OpenWRT reports 20db on band 2.4G and 17db in the band 5G, I tried changing the Regulatory Domain but without success... sad

Thank you!

(Last edited by abolition on 18 Dec 2010, 13:38)

coatto87 wrote:
Borromini wrote:
coatto87 wrote:

I don't know if i can use p910nd as the same way of cups to make my printer "airprint capable".
I read this tutorial http://www.rho.cc/index.php/linux2/48-m … t-via-cups wink

I don't know anything about that, sorry. I just have CUPS set up on every single client to point to the printer queue on my router (which runs p910nd). I assume the 'airprint capable' thing is more user/Apple-friendly tongue.

@abolition

1. I'm not a developer, contact the ath9k devs for information on that issue.
2. I don't know anything about an essential button. Then again I don't use the web interface, it's included for you guys. Any problems like that you will have to take up with the OpenWrt devs, this build is compiled from their latest source code.
3. I don't use QoS and have no insight on that. I know I included the package in a previous build but don't anymore.
4. Try one of the latest builds, they have updated wireless drivers.
5. What is failing exactly?

About the size of the build, I'm primarily making it for myself and include all that I need (and most others) the router to do, so there shouldn't be any need to have any more space for overlay other than config files. That being said, it sounds like a good idea to include the extroot package for those who want to use this build with external root. I'll see if I can squeeze it in a later build.

Upgrading with sysupgrade will keep some of your configuration files, not the entire overlay partition. My approach is to backup /overlay, upgrade and then copy back needed configuration files.

I don't know anything about antenna power, sorry.

Thanks for the great build ;o)

arokh wrote:

@abolition

1. I'm not a developer, contact the ath9k devs for information on that issue.
2. I don't know anything about an essential button. Then again I don't use the web interface, it's included for you guys. Any problems like that you will have to take up with the OpenWrt devs, this build is compiled from their latest source code.
3. I don't use QoS and have no insight on that. I know I included the package in a previous build but don't anymore.
4. Try one of the latest builds, they have updated wireless drivers.
5. What is failing exactly?

About the size of the build, I'm primarily making it for myself and include all that I need (and most others) the router to do, so there shouldn't be any need to have any more space for overlay other than config files. That being said, it sounds like a good idea to include the extroot package for those who want to use this build with external root. I'll see if I can squeeze it in a later build.

Upgrading with sysupgrade will keep some of your configuration files, not the entire overlay partition. My approach is to backup /overlay, upgrade and then copy back needed configuration files.

I don't know anything about antenna power, sorry.

I know you are doing your best, so big kudos, and thanks for the quick reply.

In regards to number 1, are you having one of the said cards (Intel AGN) to test? It really sux as I can get 70mbps no problem on my mac over wifi, but when I go to the windows machines top open google it already takes well over 2 minutes...

For number 2, essentials its supposed to be a "mini" version of the administrator environment with more user friendly commands and features and a nice graph based usage screen (for bw usage, load, connections etc)

Number 3, I can live with it, but it would be nice you started to use it tongue *wink wink*

I will try to download one of your latest builds and try again the above mentioned points.

For number 5, I set up a /dev/sda2 to /mnt on that mount interface and after reboot its not appearing. (if you do "mount /dev/sda2 /mnt" it mounts, im thinking about just making a start script to have it execute)

In regards to the sysupdate, I could leave as long as it keeps my radio + iptables config saved tongue

for the updated file you refer to is it this:

"Update Dec 18:

Test build.

- Rebuilt with 2.6.37-rc6, for anyone who wants to test a new kernel. Note that you won't be able to install any other kernel modules from the
- Downgraded to uClibc 0.9.30.1 so inotify (no need to do full scan, picks up file system changes) works for minidlna. Note that if you need to install other packages from the repository, you might run into problems with this build.
- Trunk brings updated mac80211 drivers
- Updated nzbget to 0.8.0-testing from SVN
- Added patch to fix libpar2, nzbget can now properly par2 verify/repair downloads!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … actory.img
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … pgrade.bin
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … 661.config

"

??

Thank you one more time.

(Last edited by abolition on 18 Dec 2010, 14:11)

Yes that is my latest build. I can't help but feel some of your questions are better suited for the general forum, as they aren't necessarily related to my build and you would get better help there smile

You are right, I just raised the issues I had as I felt they were device specific (like the wifi issue or the qos not starting...)

I will try that build and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

An extroot build would be a great thing wink

(Last edited by coatto87 on 18 Dec 2010, 16:27)

New build with extroot up, have fun smile

Anybody using NTFS on their external drive? Wondering if I should take that out to conserve space. Performance with ntfs-3g seems poor anyways.

I installed your build and it's working like a charm right off the bat. Awesome.
There is one problem though. I need to connect to my Uni's VPN using vpnc, but I can't install the package due to space constraints it seems. Can anyone lend me a hand?

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk.
Installing libgcrypt (1.4.5-1) to root...
Collected errors:
* verify_pkg_installable: Only have 260kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg libgcrypt needs 319
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package vpnc.

Easiest way is probably installing to USB storage. Add this to /etc/opkg.conf:

dest usb /mnt/sda1/openwrt

Then execute:

# opkg -d usb install vpnc

Then you'll need to edit /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc and change any paths to /mnt/sda1/openwrt, also make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /mnt/sda1/openwrt/usr/lib.

Edit your config files then finally execute:

# /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc start

To enable on startup:

# /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc enable

(Last edited by arokh on 19 Dec 2010, 11:18)

arokh wrote:

Easiest way is probably installing to USB storage. Add this to /etc/opkg.conf:

dest usb /mnt/sda1/openwrt

Then execute:

# opkg -d usb install vpnc

Then you'll need to edit /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc and change any paths to /mnt/sda1/openwrt, also make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /mnt/sda1/openwrt/usr/lib.

Edit your config files then finally execute:

# /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc start

To enable on startup:

# /mnt/sda1/openwrt/etc/init.d/vpnc enable

You have to copy vpnc script in /etc/init.d.

Ok, so I reinstalled the new image (one before extroot build) and the wifi signal issue seems fixed! smile at least on wifi n I am getting 40mbps now on the intel AGN vs the none that I was getting pre update... So thats a thumbs up tongue

I am still struggling to get the qos shit rolling sad i tried to use the nodogsplash but without success as it can only manage the br-lan interface sad... That one I will keep researching, but in the mean time, I saw your fw comes with pptpd installed, I do not know how to make it work, I tried creating the account like you say in the first page and restarted the service but im not sure i can connect, I also made the rule in the firewall to route all traffic on port 1723 to the ip 192.168.0.2 (my router) but still nothing.

I tried installing a pptp vpn on my mac mini (ivpn) and that worked out of the box (After opening port 1723), Am i missing something? I would very much prefer using the router as my vpn server.

Thank you!

It works, all you need to do is add the user as described and open port 1723. To troubleshoot look at the log. If you don't see anything in the logs, traffic is not reaching your router, maybe because of a firewall or maybe your client isn't set up properly.

root@OpenWrt /root# cat /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
#USERNAME  PROVIDER  PASSWORD  IPADDRESS
myuser * mypassword *

Like that. At the end of /etc/config/firewall you will find the proper firewall rules for PPTP commented out.

(Last edited by arokh on 19 Dec 2010, 13:08)

I have to be doing something wrong... i am not able to access ssh from outside either on port 222...

This is my firewall line:

config 'redirect'                         
        option 'src' 'wan'               
        option 'src_dport' '222'         
        option 'dest' 'lan'               
        option 'dest_port' '22'           
        option 'proto' 'tcp'             
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.0.2'   
        option 'target' 'DNAT'         

Is there somewhere stated that the router has to be 192.168.1.1 that i have to change to 192.168.0.2?

I dont have anything related to PPTP on my firewall file, I did not delete anything from the config so im not sure whats going on.

This is the rule for the vpn

config 'redirect'                         
        option '_name' 'mini vpn'         
        option 'src' 'wan'               
        option 'proto' 'tcpudp'           
        option 'target' 'DNAT'           
        option 'dest' 'lan'               
        option 'src_dport' '1723'         
        option 'dest_port' '1723'         
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.0.2'

I do have this on my firewall.user

# This file is interpreted as shell script.
# Put your custom iptables rules here, they will
# be executed with each firewall (re-)start.

# Allow forwarding from/to VPN interface
iptables -I FORWARD -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -o ppp0 -j ACCEPT

EDIT: weird thing is that all FW works for the rest of the ips, so all except the router...

(Last edited by abolition on 19 Dec 2010, 13:33)

I have an issue with miniupnpd not working with transmission-daemon somehow, the ports aren't opened or something... I'm honestly fairly clueless when it comes to networks and hours of troubleshooting isn't fixing it.

[13:20:40.204] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:70)
[13:20:40.204] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:70)
[13:20:48.205] Port Forwarding State changed from "Not forwarded" to "Starting" (port-forwarding.c:95)
[13:20:48.205] Port Forwarding State changed from "Starting" to "???" (port-forwarding.c:95)
OpenWrt user.err miniupnpd[1804]: sendto(udp_notify=6, 192.168.1.1): No such device
Dec 19 13:20:37 OpenWrt user.err miniupnpd[1804]: sendto(udp_notify=6, 192.168.1.1): No such device
Dec 19 13:20:37 OpenWrt user.err miniupnpd[1804]: sendto(udp_notify=6, 192.168.1.1): No such device

If someone has an idea or a vague tutorial on how to properly installing transmission (with web interface) on the WNDR3700, I'd love him forever.

Edit: Second issue I'm having is that my second partition (/dev/sda2) (regardless if it's in FAT32 or EXT3) isn't getting mounted by fstab or manually

root@OpenWrt /dev# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument < Same message in logread for fstab

(Last edited by sruon on 19 Dec 2010, 13:30)

@abolition

Unless you changed it manually, the LAN IP of your router is 192.168.1.1.

Working redirect:

config redirect                           
        option src              wan         
        option src_dport        222       
        option dest             lan             
        option dest_ip          192.168.1.1
        option dest_port        22         
        option proto            tcp       

Here's a working rule for PPTP:

config rule                               
        option src              wan     
        option dest_port        1723       
        option proto            tcp     
        option target           ACCEPT

@sruon

About your mounting problem, I've seen that error message when the partition type was not set to match the filesystem. So if you use EXT3 your partition type should be 83/Linux I believe, check with fdisk.

Try to mount like this:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt

FAT32/VFAT isn't included in this build btw, you'll have to install kmod-fs-vfat for that.

(Last edited by arokh on 19 Dec 2010, 13:42)

Sorry, posts 76 to 75 are missing from our archive.