276 (edited by got_milk 2011-01-14 23:23:25)

Re: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700

For those who can't get 5GHz to connect at 300Mbps...

Try to use 40MHz 2 channels below. I'm currently using channel 153 with 40MHz set 2 below and I connect at 300Mbps.

With that setting I can pull on average ~11MB/s (this is testing with a 10/100 computer so I'm maxing out the wired machine's connection).

Here is my /etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' ''
        option 'hwmode' '11na'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'channel' '153'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'txpower' '20'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40-'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' ''
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' ''

Also, @arokh, the samba3 package includes nmbd so people should have zero issues seeing the shares in Windows Explorer.

No actually, samba3 is included in this image and I stripped out nmbd. It adds 600kb (lprobably less compressed but still big) and I don't think it's worth it's size.

got_milk wrote:

DO NOT use 40MHz 2 channels above. Use 40MHz 2 channels below. I'm currently using channel 153 with 40MHz set 2 below and I connect at 300Mbps.

With that setting I can pull on average ~11MB/s (this is testing with a 10/100 computer so I'm maxing out the wired machine's connection).

Not entirely true.

in my setup, i have 5Gz channel above configured. And are connecting at 300Mbps.

But on my 2.4Ghz setup i had channel above and was only getting to max 130Mbps. Changed the setting to channel below and now i am getting to 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz.

r24999, 2,4Ghz, Channel 8, 40Mhz below.

NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.31
(C) 1997-2010 Kai Uwe Rommel

TCP connection established.
Packet size  1k bytes:  9828.80 KByte/s Tx,  9658.03 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  9671.04 KByte/s Tx,  9484.16 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  9920.10 KByte/s Tx,  9099.72 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  9788.81 KByte/s Tx,  9146.07 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  9711.51 KByte/s Tx,  8607.78 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  9834.90 KByte/s Tx,  9506.34 KByte/s Rx.
Done.

279 (edited by got_milk 2011-01-14 23:22:50)

Ah, well, disregard that then.

@Rayures, maybe it has something to do with the country code? I haven't bothered with 40MHz @ 2.4GHz but from my experience on 5GHz using the Canada country code I cannot use 40MHz above if I want 300Mbps.

arokh wrote:

No actually, samba3 is included in this image and I stripped out nmbd. It adds 600kb (lprobably less compressed but still big) and I don't think it's worth it's size.

Yup, definitely not there.  And yes it is quite bloated that's why I was running it off USB stick.
No big deal not seeing the router in windows networks.  Like arokh mentioned browsing to \\openwrt works fine.
Really appreciate having it in the build, one less extra thing to setup smile

Yeah that's the way stuff is supposed to work, plug and play smile

You can probably squeeze a few bytes by removing the unnecessary default configs in /etc/defconfig.  It's all text, so it's not much when compressed, but there really is no reason those should be there for a build that is model specific.

Same thing can be said about /etc/uci-defaults as well.

That won't make the firmware image smaller unless the saved data exceeds 64KB which is rather unlikely.

Yeah, text is compressed very good, not worth the bother.

285 (edited by xciton 2011-01-15 03:45:52)

Is there no fdisk (or equivalent) binary on the image?

xciton wrote:
redcow wrote:
adamlogan wrote:

Is this build still only for WNDR3007v1? Not sure but I might have v2...

I have a v2 (02R3 should be v2 afaik) and it works fine.

To the best of my knowledge, Netgear has not released v2 of the 3700 yet, it's due shortly however according to marketing material.

The 02R3 or 01R13 refers to the release of the v1 product, as marked out the outside shipping box.

The closest thing I could find was "???-?????-02R6" on the barcode next to "TA" idk what that means. Am using ? as representation of one numeral. I don't want to do a single thing to my router unless everything is crystal clear about what version I have, the right firmware, and the install procedure. I have never flashed a router before and don't feel like bricking anything ever if I can help it. It's also the only router in the house, so when this is down or being configured means no internet for anybody in the household and a riot is certain to follow.

heads up.. i pull the .config and patches for the build tree and packages, just to rip a test build from trunk, and it errors

install -d -m0755 /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi
install -m0644 ./files/avahi-daemon.conf /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/
install -d -m0755 /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/services
install -m0644 ./files/service-http /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/services/http.service
install -m0644 ./files/service-ssh /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service
install -m0644 ./files/service-sftp /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/services/sftp.service
install -m0644 ./files/service-smb /usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/avahi-0.6.28/ipkg-ar71xx/avahi-daemon/etc/avahi/services/smb.service
install: cannot stat `./files/service-smb': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [/usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/bin/ar71xx/packages/avahi-daemon_0.6.28-1_ar71xx.ipk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/feeds/packages/libs/avahi'
make[2]: *** [package/feeds/packages/avahi/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci'
make[1]: *** [/usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.31/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/builder/devel/wndr3700-luci'

so
ls -al package/feeds/packages/avahi/files/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 3 dingo dingo 4096 2011-01-14 22:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 dingo dingo 4096 2011-01-14 21:53 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 dingo dingo  445 2011-01-14 14:52 avahi-daemon.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 dingo dingo  267 2011-01-14 14:52 avahi-daemon.init
-rw-r--r-- 1 dingo dingo  309 2011-01-14 14:52 service-http
-rw-r--r-- 1 dingo dingo  265 2011-01-14 14:52 service-ssh

checking the patch
libs/avahi/Makefile

+/etc/avahi/services/sftp.service
+/etc/avahi/services/smb.service
+/etc/avahi/services/ftp.service
+/etc/avahi/services/nfs.service

the required files dont appear to exist in the package directory, or the patch is incomplete

Yeah, the diffs are incomplete. They only include files already in SVN, not my own additions like for instance the extra dns-sd service types. You could comment out those in the Makefile.

@xciton

No, fdisk is a utility you use only once in a while. Easier to opkg install it then remove.

289 (edited by abolition 2011-01-15 14:58:15)

got_milk wrote:

Try to use 40MHz 2 channels below. I'm currently using channel 153 with 40MHz set 2 below and I connect at 300Mbps.

Here is my /etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' ''
        option 'hwmode' '11na'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'channel' '153'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'txpower' '20'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40-'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' ''
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' ''

Also, @arokh, the samba3 package includes nmbd so people should have zero issues seeing the shares in Windows Explorer.

For me  it doesn't matter since apple locks the wide channels to the 5GHZ only, regardless of the config it can only connect at 130mbps in 2.4GHZ.

And I know this because the xp client connects at 300mbps.

In 5ghz I can see its connected at 300mbps but speed is at most 60mbits. I am at 1.5m from the router...

Being in NL i am unable to use those channels (153), I can enable it and it works in the router but not on the laptops.

290 (edited by redcow 2011-01-15 15:31:10)

I created my own image based on latest trunk sources, however as mentioned before it fails at the creation of the avahi package because service files are missing, after creating them it installs fine (just google to find them). The second compile error appears with minidlna because "/patches/002-makefile-tweaks.patch" fails to apply, I applied manually the "LIBS=..." changes to the Makefile and replaced the patch file, now minidlna compiles fine too. Another problem that appeared was the try to apply a patch to the vnstat init file, however the format of that file (at least in the latest trunk feeds) is completely different so it does not work.

Btw, I always had problems using openvpn because it was using 100%CPU (poll bug), after creating tun.ko kernel modules and openvpn based on my sources the bug disappeared and everything works smooth. Hence if you want to use new/different kernel modules I recommend _strongly_ to create your own image in order to have matching kernel and kernel modules. The kernel modules from the package feeds create a lot of problems (because they don't match your custom kernel). In order to install your own packages (a md5sum hash error appears) you have to modify/delete the md5sum hash file in the package list or afterwards directly on the router in the "/tmp/opkg-lists/snapshots" file.

Because of the failed vnstat patch I had to create the "/tmp/lib/vnstat" directory manually and afterwards with "vnstat -u -i device" add the devices to monitor.

Like I said, I added some service types to avahi, you'll need to comment out those or create them yourself. I use minidlna from CVS in my build, the patch applies to the latest code. I made some changes to vnstat in the latest build to put the db on overlay and use crond instead of the daemon.

Is port forwarding working for you ?

From my side it works sometimes, and when it works connection is very slow.

Maybe I am doing something wrong as I a new openwrt user.

I just added this rule to have access to my axis ip camera:

config 'redirect'
        option '_name' 'axis'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcpudp'
        option 'src_dport' '443'
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.1.102'
        option 'dest_port' '443'
        option 'target' 'DNAT'
        option 'dest' 'lan'

Thanks

Hello!  I just discovered this wonderful site offering arokh's firmware.

I have stock firmware .75 running right now.  It works fairly well but has some shortcomings.  If anyone has any experience with stock .75, how does arokh's firmware compare to .75 in terms of performance (wired and wireless).  Any other observations will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I were to revert back to stock firmware, can I just tftp back?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, the work looks nice, though without a complete packages patch we are limited to rebuilding, modifying to other personal needs. I also wondered
if youd like to integrate some of your additions into the packages tree so there would be no need to "maintain" a patch set. If so send me a complete patch
and ill get to work on integration into the packages tree.

taekwon3dan wrote:

Hello!  I just discovered this wonderful site offering arokh's firmware.

I have stock firmware .75 running right now.  It works fairly well but has some shortcomings.  If anyone has any experience with stock .75, how does arokh's firmware compare to .75 in terms of performance (wired and wireless).  Any other observations will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I were to revert back to stock firmware, can I just tftp back?

Thanks in advance.

Openwrt has less good wireless performance than stock. For me, it's about two thirds of the stock-firmware.

Controls are much more advanced and lots more options. You have to know quiete a bit about networking if you want to use all the options though.

And yes, you can tftp back the stock firmware.

Thanks for the updates jow and arokh. VnStat and samba are working properly now!

And yes, thank you Arokh! Your build is the first time I've been daring to install and run for longer than an hour on my router big_smile

I will need to learn and read a lot of info to be able to take advantage of all the advantages Openwrt offers. But at least with your build, I was able to get all the basics to work.

Any hint on how to set a user+pass for samba3? Tried some things, but none worked....

tnx

299 (edited by erikk1 2011-01-16 16:48:03)

Under the Network Shares tab in LuCI, you can disable the 'allow guests' checkbox for sda1. That should block guests from accessing the share. But how to add another user... My guess is doing something under /etc/samba , but not sure what tongue

Edit: I think with smbpasswd -a, see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=9750

Edit2: port forwarding is working very well for me. Setting them at the firewall tab in luci, under redirection

I didn't do it myself but I think you need to type smbpasswd -a "username" and enter password.

Then, modify the /etc/samba/smb.conf and remove root as guest account, add  "valid users = "username"" in the share definition (tmp or sda1) and finally restart samba (/etc/init.d/samba restart)

Apart from that is port forwarding working for you guys ?