OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can't ping router

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OK, I've looked all over the place and can't find a solution. I am fairly new to this.

I have a WRT54GS and I had the squashfs version on it. It seemed to be working and I was trying to configure it to communicate with another router on my network.

During a reconfigure, where I think the only thing I had changed was on the LAN interface page, allowing it to bridge across connections, the configure never returned. It like when happens when you change the IP address, although as far as I am aware I had not changed the IP address.

And that was the last time I could contact it, I was using the LAN address 192.168.1.10 and a WAN address of 192.168.1.2. I have tried resetting it by pressing the  reset button on startup as soon as the DMZ LED lights, but it never goes to the point where the DMZ light flashes 3 times a second. It just goes off.

I have tried numerous other things, holding reset for 30 seconds and then rebooting, and even the 30-30-30 reset, but each time it produces no effect. I can't ping 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.1 (which I was kinda hoping to reset to) I have tried with a DHCP address and a static address on my laptop (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.11)

I understand that I have probably caused more problems trying to fix the original issue, but what can I do? I fear I have bricked it, but I am not 100% convinced. The power light is solid after it is finished rebooting (flashes a lot during boot) and the lights on the front react to connections on the back (ie, when I connect a cable to a port on the back, and then to my laptop, the corresponding LED lights up)

I had a theory that I might have inadvertently changed the IP address with a stray cursor whilst configuring, but if that was the case would I still not be able to ping the WAN side?

Can anyone help? I've read about something to do with shorting pins, but I am not keen on it, though I guess if it's a choice of trying it, or chucking the router out, I'll give it a go.

Yeah, tried that, several times, and it never gets to the point were the DMZ light flashes three times a second. It just goes off and the power light stays on.

Install sniffer like WireShark or Packetyzer and wait till the FailSafe UDP broadcast packet emerges.

Cool. Will give that a go tomorrow

"Install sniffer like WireShark or Packetyzer and wait till the FailSafe UDP broadcast packet emerges."

OK, think I can see this:

8    6.607875    192.168.1.1    192.168.1.255    UDP    Source port: 1024  Destination port: 4919

It's the only packet wireshark reports as coming from the router.

What am I meant to do next? Send the tftp command?

It's still just timing out and the router seems to go through the same boot routine as normal, judging by the flashing lights.
Not sure how the tfpt thing will work when I can't ping it.

As soon as you see this packet, press reset for half a second or so. Then see if you can ping 192.168.1.1 .

What's the window for this? How accurate do I have to be?

I've tried a few times, but ping just goes from 'Destination host unreachable', to 'Request timed out'

(Last edited by Gomez on 30 Nov 2010, 13:40)

I've had a couple of one off success responses from ping, not a continual ability to ping

Gomez wrote:

8    6.607875    192.168.1.1    192.168.1.255    UDP    Source port: 1024  Destination port: 4919

It's the only packet wireshark reports as coming from the router.

Immediately press reset button and you should receive another packet saying entering FailSafe mode and you can telnet 192.168.1.1.

Can anyone help me on this, I've tried all of the above more times than I can count, but I can't get it to the point where I can ping it. Every now and again I can get it to do something, see wireshark output, but I am not sure what that something is, It seems it response to one ping and then instants fails again so that ping, telnet or tftp do not work.

Can anyone help, I keep reading that 'bricked' is a bad description as most of the time they can be rescued, but I can't help but I seem to be running out of options.

*actually what is the best way of putting up a wireshark output?

(Last edited by Gomez on 19 Dec 2010, 16:28)

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem. I failed to copy  some files, among them /etc/config/network onto the router because there was no more space.
the router got stuck and since reboot i have this problem. the router transmits one packet to port 4919 udp. normal startup even loads the pcmcia and usb modules as the pcmcia umts card blinks(this is a wrt54g3g), but the device is not pingable.
Bringing the device into failsafe mode responds by blinking dmz light but the device is also not pingable...

Did you find a solution?

brgds

Ok,

it works again... Only chance to recover was the serial console. I bought a DKU 5 cable and from inside i set the eth0 device to an ip address manually.

brgs

Hello. First, my english is not very well...

Second, I have a problem with WRT54GL.
Power LED flashing and then stop (this is ok, I think), DMZ light up and after 3-4 seconds and then shut down. LAN1 is turned on.

The problem is that I cant ping my router, its passed few months and I have forget his IP address.
I cant telnet (trying over Putty), I have tried 30-30-30 reset, nothing, default reset button doesnt work at all, I dont know why...

This router has installed Backfire and he has worked how access-point (few days), after I have turned off and one week later, WRT54GL wont work...

(Last edited by Batista on 10 Apr 2011, 13:43)

I have Bricked Tplink-3420 while installing 14.07 barrier breaker into it, cannot enter failsafe mode, also dump enough to connect serial cable , help me get  a solution
Thanks

If anyone has Installed barrier breaker 14.07 factory Image on 3420 tplink v-2, kindly tell me dhcp-boot configuration
I want to know the file specified in it since i have bricked it

The discussion might have continued from here.