OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Looking for cheap 1-LAN 1-USB OpenWRT supported device

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi guys,

I am needing to find the smallest, cheapest device supported by OpenWRT that has 1 LAN port and 1 USB port as a small print server.

I have been looking through various devices and i cannot seem to locate anything suitable.

I dont care if the device supports wireless or is intended to be used as a router, i just need the above options on it and it to be as cheap as possible.

This board came up recently, single lan port, single USB port.  They also make a 2 port USB version for just a little more.  Other than the brief bit mentioned here, I don't have any details other than what's at their site:  http://bifferos.bizhat.com/

morphix wrote:

I am needing to find the smallest, cheapest device supported by OpenWRT that has 1 LAN port and 1 USB port as a small print server.

Try a Seagate DockStar. It is based on an ARM CPU clocked @1.2GHz with a built-in 128/256MB RAM/NAND space and has recently been supported under OpenWRT. Read posts on this discussion thread.

That board looks nice and would be great for other projects too, but unfortunately with the device, case, power supply and shipping it costs AUD $84.46 which is way too costly... I could buy a much larger but more powerful router or similar.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=wl-600g&x=0&y=0

£23.99 +P&P with VAT but you should be able to get it without as you are outside the uk.

the adsl wont work under openwrt , but the rest does. If you just want a printer server it will work out of the box as one with the asus firmware. I have 3 one as is as a printer server, one running "Drake" firmware and one running 10.03-1 rc3 openwrt.

I don't know what this will cost to australia though unless you can find a local dealer.

pale wrote:

I don't know what this will cost to australia though unless you can find a local dealer.

I seem to recall Ebuyer don't even ship to Europe, let alone Australia.

(Last edited by bifferos on 15 Oct 2010, 01:42)

morphix wrote:

That board looks nice and would be great for other projects too, but unfortunately with the device, case, power supply and shipping it costs AUD $84.46 which is way too costly... I could buy a much larger but more powerful router or similar.

The PSU is standard, and is like the one you get with most USB hubs these days.  You can always buy that locally.  We only keep limited stock for people who need to order everything from the same place. 

As for the case, well I suppose you could always make one smile.

But you can't really compare Bifferboard prices with other mass-produced embedded items unless you first layer on-top the OpenWrt support, which someone has to pay for.  I'm talking not just about OpenWrt/kernel patches, but also the hardware modifications to make firmware update trivial and the assurance that a reasonably recent (it's not always possible with the very latest SVN tip) version of OpenWrt will run on the device without issue.  OpenWrt is now the default firmware on all our boards, so instead of invalidating your warranty if you put OpenWrt on it, you'll get a refund or replacement if OpenWrt *won't* run on it, which for some people makes a difference.

regards,
Biff.

The Asus 520gu is supported by recent Backfire (but I've had trouble with bleeding edge trunk), and works beautifully.  It has Broadcom wireless, 4 lan ports and a usb port.  It's generally $30/$40 these days, but can occasionally be found for cheaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833320023

Currently, Fry's Electronics is selling a Hitachi SimpleNET NAS Head USB 2.0 Portable Dongle - SNET for $18.99 which is based on a CNS2132-250FP128-AEFF-G chipset clocked @200MHz with a 8/64 MB Flash/RAM, an RJ45 10/100Mbps, and two USB2 ports (read here). OpenWRT has recently supported a CNS3XXX platform. If you are up to a challenge, this is a good time to start hacking into this device and come up with patches for OpenWRT to start supporting this inexpensive device. With a 64MB RAM, this device can be used to host an Asterisk PBX System, too.

mazilo wrote:

Wow. The device is clocked @2.4GHz! But, this is bad that it only comes with a 32MB RAM.

No I believe the RT3050 runs at 320MHZ, 2.4GHZ should refer to the Wireless Frequency Band.

alphasparc wrote:
mazilo wrote:

Wow. The device is clocked @2.4GHz! But, this is bad that it only comes with a 32MB RAM.

No I believe the RT3050 runs at 320MHZ, 2.4GHZ should refer to the Wireless Frequency Band.

IC. Thanks.

For anyone that stumbles across this thread looking for a cheap 1-LAN 1-USB OpenWRT supported device.

Try the TP-Link WR703N or it's clones the Mercury MW151RM and the FAST FW171-3G

I second the above, have been looking at small cheap routers to use for signal hunting and travel usage. There is a win 7/XP
ModemGui can be used for interrogating modem while in router for signal, use AT commands to fix channel, record tower ID and more.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/router_openwrt

Can confirm the 703n and variants are only approx. $20 with various sellers on Ebay and in Aus. and we have a build that does full 4G too! Great little router, portable and flexible. Some don't like it as it comes with chinese manual but there is a 3020 english modded firmware works on it in english or a few openwrt possibilities with Lucl and more. Our build supports a couple of huawei modems and also the mf821 and sierra 320u 4G (full speed). Easy enough to add modems (famous last words ...). If you are really good at fine soldering you can mod memory, chip and serial.

There is also a version for around $30 called mr 11u with built in battery pack.

ldpinney wrote:

For anyone that stumbles across this thread looking for a cheap 1-LAN 1-USB OpenWRT supported device.

Try the TP-Link WR703N or it's clones the Mercury MW151RM and the FAST FW171-3G

I have the MW151RM, any tips on how to get OpenWRT onto it?
There is no "upload firmware" in the menu.
Maybe it would help getting a USB to TTL adapter?

tp-link mr3020

The discussion might have continued from here.