OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to not turn off serial console during boot

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I sucessfully built and booted OpenWRT, but I get this: "turn off boot console early0" followed by absolutely nothing. Is there a way to disable this so I can keep interacting with the system?

(Last edited by shawnjgoff on 3 Oct 2010, 13:47)

I found some more info here: http://old.nabble.com/9000-785-C8000--- … 71797.html
But I don't think I have the same problem. A few messages in, he figures it's because his serial terminal isn't recognized because he doesn't get a message like "serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A". I do get that kind of message: "serial8250: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x10000500 (irq = 13) is a 16550A". Someone else in the thread said you have to specify the console in the IPL. From what I can tell, the IPL is a boot loader for a specific HP machine. If that's the case, I'm already doing that; I'm specifying console=ttyS0,115200 in u-boot's bootargs environment variable.

I also found what is doing it: http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-List … 08564.html . It's printk, but I don't know how to "replace" the boot console the way it wants me to. In my boot messages I have:

bootconsole [early0] enabled
console [ttyS0] enabled
turn off boot console early0

This sure looks to me like the console gets setup properly. Any ideas?

(Last edited by shawnjgoff on 4 Oct 2010, 16:23)

Turns out the u-boot on this device was setting more arguments than just the bootargs. It was also sending a conflicting console argument at a different speed. It didn't like the two different arguments and that's why it wasn't using them. I cleared out the bootargs and to really fix it, I'll eventually reflash the bootloader to a normal version instead of the custom thing that's on there.

The discussion might have continued from here.