OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Backfire SDK?

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am unable to find anything significant as far as documentation on compiling a software package for Backfire. I have been through this page:
http://nuwiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/BuildingPackagesHowTo
but that obviously is for an older version.
I found this post where someone made a simple program work using an older SDK
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24239
and then others where users have had issues and mentioned a hack to work around it.
Can someone tell me the official answer on what to use (and hopefully some directions for a rookie) to get me going?
Thanks!

I'd like to know this as well. I've been through the same pages that you mention.

I am very interested in setting up the aprx package, but the one provided is version 0.99 and the current version is 2.00. The version 0.99 package is missing a key component for my use (two way communication versus receive only).

Steve, w8an

So how do I get it to compile the updated aprx (2.00) package at http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/aprx/ ? It just says that 0.99 is up to date when I attempt a build.

I did find the site you mention, but there is only one line in there about building packages. It seems more related to building entire images. Maybe I am missing something.

strast wrote:

So how do I get it to compile the updated aprx (2.00) package at http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/aprx/ ? It just says that 0.99 is up to date when I attempt a build.

You'll have to edit the file "package/feeds/packages/aprx/Makefile" and update it to download and compile version 2.00 instead of version 0.99

mkitchin wrote:

I did find the site you mention, but there is only one line in there about building packages. It seems more related to building entire images. Maybe I am missing something.

To compile a software package, you'll have to checkout a copy of the source code from SVN, create the directory "package/name" and the file "package/name/Makefile" (where "name" is the name of the software package that you want to build). Use the already existing Makefiles (from other packages) for reference.

I had updated the Makefile, but have found that you must run make menuconfig first, then select the package before it will compile.

strast wrote:

I had updated the Makefile, but have found that you must run make menuconfig first, then select the package before it will compile.

If you have successfully updated the Makefile, you may create a ticket with your patch so that it gets in the OpenWRT repository.

I also was wondering why the SDK is not included in the backfire release as it was for the previous versions.

Thx

It looks like the SDK and the OS build package may be one and the same

hi strast,

do you have any luck in compiling the latest aprx package? I need to compile it for my wzr-hp-g300nh .. any quick guide on the how to?

Yes, it compiles fine, the package installs fine, but will not run. When I attempt to start "/etc/init.d/aprx start" I get the error message:
/etc/rc.common: eval: line 13: /usr/sbin/aprx: not found

The app is indeed in the expected place:
root@OpenWrt:~# ls -l /usr/sbin/aprx
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       138931 Aug 22  2010 /usr/sbin/aprx

I switched down to Kamikaze, recompiled using the Kamikaze SDK and again it compiles and installs fine and returns the same error when launch is attempted. I don't know why it's happening.

I have a openwrt backfire installed into lynksys router (that is openwrt with the kernel 2.6).
I got it backfire from svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire
and I will want to know, in make menuconfig, what I choose to generate the SDK adequate?

I'm not sure what you are asking, airtoncomp. Do you want to recompile the OpenWrt operating system or just an application such as aprx?

What you have downloaded will work for both.

I am wanting generate SDK of the backfire, so later compile package (any application) for backfire OS.

airtoncomp wrote:

I have a openwrt backfire installed into lynksys router (that is openwrt with the kernel 2.6).
I got it backfire from svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire
and I will want to know, in make menuconfig, what I choose to generate the SDK adequate?

~/devel/openwrt/branches/backfire $ make menuconfig
  ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  ?     Target System (Broadcom BCM947xx/953xx)  --->                                                                          ?
  ?     Target Profile (Broadcom BCM43xx WiFi (default))  --->                                                                 ?
  ?     Target Images  --->                                                                                                    ?
  ?     Global build settings  --->                                                                                            ?
  ? [ ] Advanced configuration options (for developers) (NEW)  --->                                                            ?
  ? [ ] Build the OpenWrt Image Builder                                                                                        ?
  ? [*] Build the OpenWrt SDK                                                                                                  ?
  ? [ ] Build the OpenWrt based Toolchain (NEW)                                                                                ?
  ? [ ] Image configuration (NEW)  --->                                                                                        ?

Thanks jow, but now I have new problem when I try compile application into SDK..
The error is above..

rstrip.sh: strip command not defined (STRIP variable not set)

The strip program exist and I don`t know what is happening.
If anybody know what is, I thank you for response.

I solucioned this problem setting CONFIG_USE_SSTRIP=y in .config file
and I gove other problem, that is

*** Error: CONTROL/control is missing field Package
*** Error: CONTROL/control is missing field Architecture
*** Error: CONTROL/control is missing field Description
*** Error: CONTROL/control is missing field Section
The Section field should have one of the following values:
admin, base, comm, editors, extras, games, graphics, kernel, libs, misc, net, text, web, x11
*** Error: CONTROL/control is missing field Priority
The Priority field should have one of the following values:
required, important, standard, optional, extra.
If you don't know which priority value you should be using, then use `optional'

Hey list,

I am tried to compile olsrd-0.6.0 to backfire with the sdk: OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1
And, when I try make V=99, appear this:

/bin/sh: openwrt-linux-gcc: command not found

Where this is it?

Thanks for advice, but I am having problem with the SDK to Backfire, that is, to the kernel 2.6 of the Openwrt Backfire
I am trying compile, but occur below errors:

I try to compile olsrd-0.6.0 for Linksys router with OpenWRT Backfire installed.
I set the Architecture for 'all' in olsrd/ipkg/olsrd.control file,
but persist in the error....

Please post the exact steps you did, it's still unclear to me what you're actually doing.

I downloaded backfire for svn,
I did cd backfire and 'make ' command,
And generated a tarball of the SDK brcm47xx,
I extract the tarball and put olsrd-0.6.0 source code in the package directory (and its Makefile)...
Into these directory (~/SDK-brcm47xx/package), I create a ipkg directory,
Into these ipkg directory, I put olsrd.control file, that contains bellow lines

Package: olsrd
Section: net
Priority: optional
Architecture: mipsel
Description: OLSRD compiled...

Ok, so in inside ~/SDK-brcm47/ directory,
I do make V=99 command
and start to compile, but return these:

ipkg-build: Please fix the above errors and try again.
make[3]: *** [/home/airton/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/bin//packages/olsrd_0.6.0-r1_.ipk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/airton/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/package/olsrd'
make[2]: *** [package/olsrd/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/airton/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1'
make[1]: *** [/home/airton/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1/staging_dir/target-_-/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/airton/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-Linux-i686-gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1'

I am trying compile for backfire openwrt. The router that I use is Linksys WRT54G.

If you still are having a problem, try the files which i have compiled - ypu can download yours on www.oa0esh.nl - see the aprs section
If it works I will help you setting up your development and build environment.
It runs the latest aprx - ypu can find my at aprx.fi looking for pa0esh-12

(Last edited by bassbuff on 21 Dec 2010, 00:35)

Hey!

I compiled with kamikaze 8.09.2 SDK for backfire. Architecture is brcm47. The compile is succeed. But when i would like to install, it complain about the architectures.

root@OpenWrt:/home/kukodajanos/Downloads# opkg -d opt install helloworld_1_mipsel.ipk
Unknown package 'helloworld'.
Collected errors:
* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for helloworld found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package helloworld.

Do you have any suggestion?

Regards, János

Some additional details:

root@OpenWrt:/home/kukodajanos/Downloads# opkg print_installation_architecture
arch all 1
arch noarch 1
arch brcm47xx 10

(Last edited by kukodajanos on 19 Dec 2010, 12:24)

The discussion might have continued from here.