OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DIR-825 flash via D-Link web interface does not work

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

from previous posts I have read, that it works for others, still I cant flash OpenWrt on the DIR-825.

I have downloaded the 10.3 backfire image openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs.bin (md5 is ok) and compiled the current backfire trunk (revision 22103) which got me openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-factory.bin. The only thing I changed in menuconfig was the arch/router and the default network address (I needed 192.168.0.1).

I tried to flash both with the original dlink web interface (hw version B1, firmware version 2.01EU which seems to be the current one) with firefox and konqueror.
The error message I get is just "Upload failed" and some hints:

--------
The uploaded firmware file may not be correct. You may have uploaded a file that is not intended for this Gateway, or the uploaded file may be corrupted.

If the uploaded file is correct, it is possible that the gateway may be too busy to properly receive it right now. In this case, please try the upload again. It is also possible that you are logged in as a "user" instead of an "admin" - only administrators can upload new firmware.

The Gateway will not be reprogrammed.
--------

I am logged in as the admin, I can change and save other things on the router.

Currently I'm not near the device (cant try the reset button method). But even if this works, I'd like to know whats going on...

TIA for any hints and tips smile

Please use openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-*-backup-loader.bin, that should work.
And you might also want to try plain old Internet Explorer for uploading the new firmware, since other browsers might not work.

Hi zoo,

tried the backup loader versions (downloaded and self compiled). No joy.
Also, from the device page in the wiki, I had the impression those are only for the recovery mode flash method?

Explorer is a tough one. The box is attached to a linux server and no windows in sight.
Will try later when I have physical access...

From my experience, only IE worked with the factory firmware page on the dir825 (IE8 in compatibility mode only). It sux. I actually had to bother to install windows in vmware just to flash the device. I also seem to only have success flashing images that had "factory" in the name (i've only ever compiled from source, never tried the pre-built images). Once I would get the factory image (e.g. openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-factory.bin) loaded, I would just re-flash it with exact OpenWrt image I wanted in the first place using sysupgrade on the command line instead of using the browser at all.

First things first:

$ ssh root@192.168.1.250
root@192.168.1.250's password:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-07-09 12:02:34 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
Backfire (10.03, r22089) --------------------------
  * 1/3 shot Kahlua    In a shot glass, layer Kahlua
  * 1/3 shot Bailey's  on the bottom, then Bailey's,
  * 1/3 shot Vodka     then Vodka.
---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

I retried firefox and konqueror on that image from another notebook (same cables, same ip config), but it still did not work.
Then I booted vista on this notebook and setup the same ip config. I tried the standard d-link firmware upgrade without recovery mode from internet explorer 8 and it still did not work!

The solution was, to also use the recovery mode (press reset for ~30s until power blinks orange), only then flashing the downloaded image openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-backup-loader.bin did work.
From there it was easy to sysupgrade to my own image.

Thank you! I hope this helps others that try this.

Now going to fill this image with some life...

(Last edited by joba on 10 Jul 2010, 15:29)

The discussion might have continued from here.