OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Backfire and PPPoE

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello all.

I cannot get PPPoE working on Backfire installed on a x86 PC. I always get a timeout.

/var/log/ppp.log:
Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Terminating on signal 15

Here are my wan settings from /etc/config/network:
config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1'
        option 'proto' 'pppoe'
        option 'username' 'XXXXXX'
        option 'password' 'XXXXXX'
        option 'defaultroute' '1'
        option 'peerdns' '1'

On some forums I found, that I should add "option device ppp", but I get an error when using this (nic-ppp not found), so I guess this is just for embedded devices.

Here is the listing of /etc/ppp/options:
debug
logfile /var/log/ppp.log
noaccomp
nopcomp
nocrtscts
lock
maxfail 0
lcp-echo-failure 10
lcp-echo-interval 5
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
mtu 1392
mru 1452
passive
noauth

I also installed pppoe-start/stop script package, but this does not work either for me.

The connection works fine in Windows 7, although I had to turn ipv6 off for the network adapter to get it to work.

Could somebody help ? I am getting quite desperate..
Thanks.

Hmm, "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" means that there is no PPPoE signal detected at all. Are you sure that "eth1" is the correct nic? Maybe it got swapped with eth0

jow wrote:

Hmm, "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" means that there is no PPPoE signal detected at all. Are you sure that "eth1" is the correct nic? Maybe it got swapped with eth0

Yes, I am pretty sure. I really do not know what could be wrong.

I finally found out the problem. It is quite stupid. The PPPoE device needs a crossover cable and the NIC (mainboard integrated and pretty old) I have been using did not support auto-negotiation. After getting desperate I tried a newer NIC and this worked. Well, I just needed a crossover cable for the old NIC.

The discussion might have continued from here.