OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Making a WIFI RC CaR! :)

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

if anyone could help with this that would be awesome!

Yesterday I successfully installed dd-wrt micro on a wrt54gv5 and it appears to be total rubbish.  Also the forum support is kinda rubbish too.

i Found this really cool project that used openwrt and a wrt54gl.  But im hoping you could help me install a really butchered version of openwrt for the neutered router.

HERE is the project site:
http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

It only needs the following things and since it won't be a 'router' im hoping that un-needed packages can be removed.
a program running written in c located on the project site.  (car_server.c)
wifi connectivity
SSH access
and the serial port connected to an arduino microcontroller
The project is located at this site: http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

(Last edited by timaaarrreee on 3 Jun 2010, 06:02)

timaaarrreee wrote:

It only needs the following things and since it won't be a 'router' im hoping that un-needed packages can be removed.

Un-needed packages and/or kernel drivers can be removed using make menuconfig and/or make kernel_menuconfig, respectively.

timaarreee,

That's a really cool project... I want one.  So you want to try to stuff OpenWrt on a 2 MB flash?  It may be possible if you strip it down.  However, it would be much easier with another router... perhaps something like the ASUS WL-520GU (cheap on eBay).  If you have a router with USB, you can use a USB Arduino and then you won't have to add a serial port to your WRT54G.

If you're set on using your WRT54Gv5, I would make a custom build for brcm-2.4 (instead of brcm47xx) as it should be smaller.  You could also try White Russian (instead of later OpenWrt builds).  The only package you should have to add is the car_server.c.  The referenced project actually used White Russian.  I think there is a "micro" White Russian build that may solve your problem (see link below).
http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/0.9/micro

If you need a newer OpenWrt release, Kamikaze will be smaller than Backfire or trunk.  Let us know if you get something working on your WRT54Gv5... and I'd like to see your Wifi Robot Car when it's done.

thanks for the replies.  I am going to install white russian onto it soon.  I already have a JTAG setup ready to go if something goes wrong during the process.  Ill let you know how I get on smile

Ok I have decided to get a WRT54GL to solve this since things got complicated.

Thanks for the help though smile

Yeah, that should make it much easier.  Another thing you may want to consider is adding USB (1.1) to your WRT54GL (see this post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=23308).  With USB you have the option of using a webcam for the video instead of a network cam.  If you already have a webcam laying around, this could be a big money saver (not sure about webcam vs. network cam quality differences though).

I'm working on building one myself.  Here's what I'm using:
- WRT54G v2.0 (2 serial ports + 2 USB 1.1) running Backfire (BRCM47xx 2.6 kernel)
- Arduino Duemilanove microcontroller (USB)
- H2 Hummer RC Car (9v)
- Logitech Quickcam Fusion Webcam (USB)

I already had the WRT54G and webcam.  I found the Hummer at a garage sale for $3.  I bought the Arduino from Sparkfun for $30.  I still need to get some batteries.  My Logitech Quickcam Fusion is supported by the Linux UVC Driver (kmod-video-uvc), but other webcams may work better under Linux.

I'm still working on assembling and programming this, so I can't guarantee these parts will work well.  After I get it working, I'm hoping to write a homebrew app for my Nintendo DS so I can control this thing via wifi on my DS!

(Last edited by LinkZ on 16 Jun 2010, 16:32)

just thought I'd update you... I have just got my RC car working and now need to sort out some batteries for the router.  Would it safe to directly connect a 12v 1.3Ah SLA battery directly to the wrt54gl with out breaking stuff?  I already have the arduino connected to it but the car uses it's own 9.5v NiCd batteries.

Yes, that would be safe.  You probably can get by with using less voltage to the router if you want to.  My WRT54G v2 runs fine on a 5v power supply (even though the stock PS is 12v).  If you look inside, there's a power regulator that brings the voltage down to 3.3v, so you can safely use 5v and up.

What did you use for the camera?

Cool, ill add the SLA today so i can run the car without a power supply.  At the moment I have a 2.4GHz camera lying arount that uses a 9v supply that I will connect to the car's battery.  Later on I want to add a network camera so it can be accesed over internet..  Or i might try that USB idea out

Wifi router temperature sensing..
Hai,
For my main project, We designed a WiFi Robot car, and as additions,we decided to implement Temperature,Humidity,...etc Sensors..
We want the open WRT instructions for this topic..
Can any one Help me...
Thanks in advance...
my email : arjun_janan@yahoo.co.in

(Last edited by arjuntech on 10 Mar 2011, 13:46)

can i use TP-Link TL-WN723N (USB Dongle) instead of WRT54G v2.0???
would it work ??

The discussion might have continued from here.