OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT New User(s)

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Oct 2014 and 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

luminoso wrote:

I'm running r22048 from trunk and it is incredibly stable.
iperf on a single 2.4Ghz wireless 150mbps connection does 70MB/sec on a 5m range. I left a feedback on ticket system for the more curious https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7559 .

I totality recommend trunk over backfire.

I assume you mean 150 Mbps, and 70 Mbps respectively? 70 MBps isn't possible technically with a wireless standard that can only do 300 Mbps - in theory tongue. Plus that many 2,4 GHz implementations don't do channel bonding (the 802.11n spec only specifies channel bonding with 5 GHz), which means you wouldn't get past 150 Mbps reported (not effective throughput).

(Last edited by Borromini on 7 Jul 2010, 20:05)

Borromini wrote:

I assume you mean 150 Mbps, and 70 Mbps respectively? 70 MBps isn't possible technically with a wireless standard that can only do 300 Mbps - in theory tongue. Plus that many 2,4 GHz implementations don't do channel bonding (the 802.11n spec only specifies channel bonding with 5 GHz), which means you wouldn't get past 150 Mbps reported (not effective throughput).

>iperf.exe -c 192.168.1.2 -w 5M -t 30
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 5.00 MByte
[160] local 192.168.1.219 port 51583 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[160]  0.0-30.4 sec   302 MBytes  83.2 Mbits/sec

192.168.1.2 (server) wired Gigabit connection. client (this result output) connected via wireless 2.4Ghz 5m away from router

Just a quick few questions. Is 40MHz working for both 2.4 and 5 GHz? Also, is the upper channel range available for 5GHz (149-163)? In my case this upper channel range performs substntially better than the low range for 5GHz (36-48) using the stock firmware. Thank you in advance.

bs27975 wrote:

See message #32, this thread.

No matter what I try I can't get 5Ghz working

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# cat wireless

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' '00:24:b2:d8:28:b7'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'htmode' 'HT40+'
        option 'channel' '9'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'luminoso radio0'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' 'passwordteste'

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' '00:24:b2:d8:28:b9'
        option 'channel' '36'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40+'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40-'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'hwmode' '11na'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        option 'disabled' '1'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'mywifi-5'
        option 'encryption' 'psk-mixed'
        option 'key' 'passwordteste'
        option 'hidden' '1'
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# wifi
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:24:b2:d8:28:b7 and ssid 'luminoso radio0'
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (36) not found from the channel list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel
Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-1)
wlan1: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
Failed to start hostapd for phy1

Am I doing something wrong?

luminoso wrote:

No matter what I try I can't get 5Ghz working

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# cat wireless

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'disabled' '1'

Am I doing something wrong?

option 'disabled' '0'

ValCher wrote:

option 'disabled' '0'

sorry. it was '0'. I've done the cat after disabling it, or "wifi" command wouldn't work

luminoso wrote:

192.168.1.2 (server) wired Gigabit connection. client (this result output) connected via wireless 2.4Ghz 5m away from router

Thanks for the clarification smile.

You are aware of the difference between megabit and megabyte?

Borromini wrote:
luminoso wrote:

Thanks for the clarification smile.

You are aware of the difference between megabit and megabyte?

Yep, but I was writing from my memory. As you can see iperf lacks consistency Transfer are at Mbytes and Bandwidth are at Mbits and got me confused ;-)

guys, can someone confirm it is possible to dial L2TP Wan gateway with openwrt ?
i want to try it but my cable company uses L2TP and most of the routers/firmwares do not support it so i don't want to mess with openwrt before making sure it'll work.

I am using NETGEAR WNDR3700 and flashed it with openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-factory.img
i want to configure senstivity wlan0 interface ,
but it seems that it doesnot have sens option.
did anybody else faced the same problem ??
how we can solve that ? is their any additional package we need to install
or config file needs to be changed. as normally sensitivity option is always their for interface

Regards,
Ani Rashmi

Hi mfractal,
II have used l2tp on other openwrt boxes so it should work on WNDR3700 too as its just app layer thingie.

mohnkhan wrote:

Hi mfractal,
II have used l2tp on other openwrt boxes so it should work on WNDR3700 too as its just app layer thingie.

it needs xl2tpd from what i understand to be able to dial to my cable i-net provider.
a screenshot of the lacy interface with the l2tp option would be awesome.

Thanks for your help!

antsh wrote:

Just a quick few questions. Is 40MHz working for both 2.4 and 5 GHz?

Yes, however for 2.4 GHz it won't work if there are other wifi networks in your area as the standard says that you can only use 40 MHz (2 channels) only if the spectrum is free, and you must fall back to 20 MHz if there are other networks arround.

antsh wrote:

Also, is the upper channel range available for 5GHz (149-163)? In my case this upper channel range performs substntially better than the low range for 5GHz (36-48) using the stock firmware. Thank you in advance.

Yes, they are avalaible. But I think that these channels are shared with cordless phones and such so there can be interference.

I've installed OpenWRT Backfire per the wndr3700 wiki. Looks like things are mostly working as expected except for the WAN port. I can't more than about 10 mb/s on from LAN to WAN. I dug around the forums, and could only find a potential solution in changing the QOS settings. I installed the LuCI module for configuring the QOS and tried both disabling QOS and bumping the link speeds up to my actual speeds. I have the problem when trying to route out to my cable modem AND if I just route out to my LAN directly while using another router on the cable modem. On the stock Netgear firmware I can easily get to the 25 mb/s max on my cable modem, and more if I just route between LANs. Note: I have the same issue if I try DD-WRT. With either of the WRTs, flashing back to stock firmware returns full wan speeds.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

I have the netgear 3700 v2 unit and I downloaded the firmware and tried to flash using the built in upgrade utility from the netgear base image.  It keeps on coming back with the message "Firmware upgrade failed.  Please check your file."  I have downloaded the files "openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-jffs2-factory.img"  and  "openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-factory.img"  and tried them both.  Both files give me the same error.  I downloaded the file from the following location: http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … c4/ar71xx/   and from   http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/ar71xx/

If you have any ideas as to what I can try, I would like to get this flash working.  I also tried the firmware from www.fw5.net and got the same error.  I even tried to rename one of the BIN files to .IMG to get the webpage to accept it it rejects all non .img files) and no go.

I am a complete n00b for linux.  I am a windows software developer however, so I do know my way around a computer, just not one running linux.

wizengamot wrote:

I have the netgear 3700 v2 unit and I downloaded the firmware and tried to flash using the built in upgrade utility from the netgear base image.  It keeps on coming back with the message "Firmware upgrade failed.  Please check your file."  I have downloaded the files "openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-jffs2-factory.img"  and  "openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-squashfs-factory.img"  and tried them both.  Both files give me the same error.  I downloaded the file from the following location: http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … c4/ar71xx/   and from   http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/ar71xx/

I think you need a recent trunk version for v2 of the WNDR3700. More info is on the wiki, and there is a huge thread about various custom builds for the WNDR3700 (the last few pages talk about the v2 quite a bit, and things seem to work in recent trunk versions).

gspr wrote:
wizengamot wrote:

I think you need a recent trunk version for v2 of the WNDR3700. More info is on the wiki, and there is a huge thread about various custom builds for the WNDR3700 (the last few pages talk about the v2 quite a bit, and things seem to work in recent trunk versions).

Once I figured out that where trunk was located in the downloads secion..... tongue  ... I was able to flash the device and it has worked!  Thank you for taking the time to help out, it is greatly appreciated!!! 

Now, on the the next problem.  I flashed it with trunk file openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory-NA.img.  I read the docs for first boot and tried to visit the router via firefox.  Fail!  Tried with Internet Exploder...Fail!.  Downloaded putty and tried with that (using basic telnet on port 23).  I change the password to a secure one.  I then tried the HTTP UI, no go, since I had set the pwd, I also tried HTTPS, still no go.

Current status.  I can SSH to the router via port 22.  No web UI seems to boot.  Now, I can ping IP addresses, but I cannot seem to ping anything that is named.  aka. I can ping my internet router's IP, I can ping my computers IP, I can ping google.ca's IP, but if I try to ping www.google.ca it fails with bad address response.  I assume this means that the router is still missing some basic configuration data but without the webUI, I am a little lost. 

Encountered another odd thing, apparently after a few minutes the LAN LED for the port my router is connected to shuts off and I get an error from putty saying software caused a connection reset.  This is consistent after just a few minutes and to get it back I sometimes just reseat the cable but sometimes I have to reboot the router.

Anyhow, long post and lots of issues.  If someone could tell me how to perform a command line re-flash I would re-attempt the flashing in case something went wrong.  As always I will accept any suggestions as to courses of action that will get me a working router for MLPPP.

Cheers

wizengamot wrote:

Now, on the the next problem.  I flashed it with trunk file openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory-NA.img.  I read the docs for first boot and tried to visit the router via firefox.  Fail!  Tried with Internet Exploder...Fail!.  Downloaded putty and tried with that (using basic telnet on port 23).  I change the password to a secure one.  I then tried the HTTP UI, no go, since I had set the pwd, I also tried HTTPS, still no go.

Cheers

I'm guessing you need to install some basic packages, such as the LuCI web interface. Check out http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/basic.config and http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/luci.essentials

What's the difference between openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img and openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory-NA.img images?

LaySoft wrote:

What's the difference between openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img and openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory-NA.img images?

The NA version contains a signature to make the original Netgear firmware to believe it to be the "North American" version of the firmware, so that there is no complaint where flashing that to a NA version of 3700. No difference in actual functionality.

Hello,

i have just flashed my brand new wndr3700v2 with a community-release of openwrt using the oem/web procedure. Now i also want to try the standard openwrt build. can i flash like this with mtd?

mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-jffs2-factory.img firmware
using the openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-jffs2-factory.img file from openwrt?

Thanks!

hnyman wrote:

The NA version contains a signature to make the original Netgear firmware to believe it to be the "North American" version of the firmware, so that there is no complaint where flashing that to a NA version of 3700. No difference in actual functionality.

A long time I was looking for the meaning of the NA smile
Thanks

Hi,
I've just successfully installed OpenWRT on my Netgear R3700 v1, to secure the bridge connection with WPA, since this is not possible with the original firmware, but I've realized that this is just to much for my skills.

So now I'm trying to restore the router's default settings through LuCi web panel, and on System>Backup/Firmware>Flash Operations (Actions): Restore Backup, I can upload a configuration file.

I have the original Netgear configuration file (NETGEAR_WNDR3700.cfg), but can I restore the backup this easily?
Is it as simple as it was to upload and install OpenWRT?

Here's the printscreen of the menu.
http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb11153817/p5pb11153817.jpg

The discussion might have continued from here.