OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: help bricked wr741nd

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Apr 2018 and 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Im having a problem with my tplink wr741nd v4, I did everything in the guide but for some reason ethernet is not working. Im unable to get a tftp transfer going. From the router I can ping from the console from putty to my laptop and it apparently sees or get a response from my laptop. But I dont know why the tftp wont transfer. I tried a stock firmware, openwrt generic firmware, and a dd-wrt firmware ( the one that bricked the router in the first place when converting from openwrt to ddwrt)

I used these commands
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.1    - router
setenv serverip 192.168.1.2   - laptop
printenv   - shows everything is set right
tftpboot 0x80000000 firmware.bin   
also tried  tftpboot 0x81000000 firmware.bin

From reading this guide, I plugged the eternet cable to the internet port, since tftp didnt work, I tried lan ports 1 through 4 but  nada.

All I saw was the letter T pop up every 5-10 seconds, and it fails afer T T T T T T T T T 
I keep trying to tftp in the firmware. Im using just regular tftp in my ubuntu distribution. It never gets to the part where you should see
Loading: #################################################################
         #################################################################
         ######################################################
done
Bytes transferred = 3932160 (3c0000 hex)

Just T T T T T T T and then it says the transfer failed, and it basically keeps on trying.

Also I soldered the wire for TX like this image from the guide
http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/toh/tp-link/tl-wr740n-v423-board-downside-uart.jpg?cache=

Any advice? Currently the router power led turns on no blinking, solid light, the switch lights doesnt if i plug in the ethernet cable on any of the ports.Im running version 4.2

(Last edited by maniac on 28 Nov 2014, 21:08)

The discussion might have continued from here.