OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: D-Link DIR-825

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm needing some help from someone that got this working on their DIR-825 Rev.B1.  I successfully (as far as I can tell) flashed the firmware to the router using both methods, using the *factory*.bin from the D-Link utility and using the *backup*.bin from the recovery mode page. Both attempts got me the same thing... router starts up, flashes the power LED orange several times before the LAN LEDs all light and the power LED stays steady orange.  Never once did the uplink LED light up. I telnet in and set my password, exit then ssh back in and have a prompt. I am unable to  load the luci packages because wget says it can't find the server... so, I'm guessing I don't have a live internet connection? I've tried power cycling the cable modem and had no success. Anyone that got this working on an 825 that can help me... at least let me know what their LEDs did during a normal flash and startup?  Also... under the standard firmware, the Power LED goes blue, does this not occur with OpenWRT?

For reference, DIR-825 rev.B1 with uplink connected to a Motorola Surfboard... not sure which model, Comcast is the ISP.
If it helps, I'm referring to the Globe icon as the Uplink LED, the Power icon to the Power LED, and the wired port activity indicators as the LAN LEDs... of course, wireless LEDs never come on, haven't gotten that far yet.

TylerStePaul wrote:

Also... under the standard firmware, the Power LED goes blue, does this not occur with OpenWRT?

To make power and globe LED working as usually please append these lines in your /etc/conf/system.

config led
    option sysfs        'dir825b1:orange:power'
    option default        0

config led
    option sysfs        'dir825b1:blue:power'
    option default        1

config led
    option sysfs        'dir825b1:blue:planet'
    option trigger        netdev
    option dev        pppoe-wan   #pppoe-wan works with trunk, pppoe when using 10.03 release.
    option mode        link

You also have to correctly configure pppoe auth for the wan interface (/etc/conf/network).

config interface wan
    option ifname        eth1
    option proto        pppoe
    option peerdns        1
    option defaultroute    1
    option username        'yourlogin'
    option password        'yourpassword'
    option keepalive    10

BTW the other two LEDs used for 2.4 and 5GHz radios currently don't work due to an OpenWrt bug.

(Last edited by Athan on 25 May 2010, 08:45)

I appreciate the help on getting the LEDs working. As far as the connection, still can't quite figure it out, and the PPoE configuration doesn't help, my provider doesn't use PPoE. I tried on a whim to connect my computer to the cable modem and power cycle, got a connection fine, so I copied the mac address down from the computer and used that one on the router, still no connection, power cycled the modem, still nothing. Cloning my computer's mac address usually helped on my old router when it didn't want to connect, so I thought I'd give it a go... Any other suggestions? Keep in mind, I can't install any other packages, the router cannot get an outside connection, so this is making it kind of tough to troubleshoot.

TylerStePaul wrote:

I am unable to  load the luci packages because wget says it can't find the server... so, I'm guessing I don't have a live internet connection?

First of all, are you sure luci isn't already in the image that you flashed?  Did you try  to connect to 192.168.1.1 with a browser on a PC with an address in the 192.168.1.0/24 block?  Also, when you ssh in and run "ps", is there a uhttpd process running? (I'm not being patronizing, just making sure the easy way really isn't available to you.)

If not, you can configure your WAN connection by hand.  You can use "ifconfig" or "ip" to bring up the interface with a static address, or run "udhcpc -i eth1" to get an address by DHCP.

Or you can edit the /etc/config/network file, and add a stanza like this:

config 'interface' 'wan'
    option 'ifname' 'eth1'
    option 'proto' 'dhcp'

Then run

/etc/init.d/network restart

Hopefully one of these approaches will get you connected so you can run "opkg update", etc.

Ok, I'll try that later on... I did try to connect to see if Luci was already installed, but on the current trunk squashfs version for the dir-825, Luci isn't installed by default, and you've got to add that package. I appreciate the help, I'm fairly comfortable with CLIs, but this connection issue was starting to get frustrating and I guess I was reading the config guide wrong.  My main reason for wanting to use openWRT is that the D-Link firmware doesn't communicate properly with some devices on this model... wife's PSP and the bedroom XBox (the only one on wireless) see it and try to connect but say there is a problem during the test after setting all the parameters. It's a known problem with the model and most users seem to think that it has to do with the odd country identifier that the D-Link north american firmware broadcasts (the UK version doesn't have this problem). Other than that, I might use some of the extra features and being able to use the USB port without proprietary software is another nice advantage.

(Last edited by TylerStePaul on 26 May 2010, 02:19)

Sorry for bumping quiet old topic. Thanks for explanation of configuring LEDs, but one more question left.
Anyone tried to make the globe LED lit orange while there's no IP on WAN interface, and change it to blue when WAN IP is assigned? Just to duplicate stock firmware behavior. Suppose some kind of script (for hotplug, maybe?) is needed for this, but I can't figure it out.

I've managed to implement the behavior you describe, albeit for a pppoe wan link, not dhcp. This goes in /etc/hotplug.d/iface/90-leds

if [ "$INTERFACE" = "wan" ] && [ "$DEVICE" = "pppoe-wan" ] ; then
    case "$ACTION" in
        ifup)
            echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/dir825b1:orange:planet/brightness
        ;;
        *)
            echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/dir825b1:orange:planet/brightness
        ;;
    esac
fi

Not very elegant, but it gets the job done. For completeness, I also added the following to /etc/config/system

config led
    option sysfs    'dir825b1:orange:planet'
    option default    1

config led
    option sysfs    'dir825b1:blue:planet'
    option trigger    netdev
    option dev    eth1
    option mode    'link tx rx'

This way, the orange led is on at start-up and when the pppoe link is down, and the blue led is on when the wan link is up.

The discussion might have continued from here.