OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus RT-N12

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just bought the Asus RT-N12 ($35 on Newegg for an N v2 router?!?!  Couldn't pass it up!).  And while it's listed on the DD-WRT site, it's apparently not working with OpenWRT.  I spent about 2 hours trying to get Kamikaze, then Backfire, then Gargoyle working.  After a little bit I found a page referring to problems with the RT-N16.  Apparently this affects the RT line of Asus routers.

Sooooo... my question is:  Does anyone know when the Asus RT line of routers will be supported?  It's weird that DD-WRT is working, but OpenWRT is not.  I do see there are some differences with the way that DD-WRT presents itself to the CFE, so it seems we have some clues to the problem.

I have neither the time nor the expertise to lend a hand, I'm just wanting to bring this up and perhaps to the attention of someone who might have more of both.

**BUMP**

Is no one using these excellent cheap devices? 

I've got DD-WRT setup and this device is performing beautifully.  HOWEVER, now I need to setup StrongSwan on one and DD-WRT doesn't seem to support it.

FYI, I've given up on OpenWRT for now on this device.  I'll just try to setup a site-to-site OpenVPN link, which is something I needed to do anyway.

**bump**

Is the RT-N12 still not supported???

Yet another bump. Any interesting news on this matter?
Also, could it be that some revision is supported, whilst another is not?
I mean, there are RT-N12v1, RT-N12B1, and RT-N12C1.
The second two only differ on the looks (I think), while v1 has different chipset.

No news.

*Bump* to say that this might finally start working - I just posted a developer thread for it.  This would be for the original RT-N12 only.

It runs TomatoUSB (minus the USB) very well, so give that a try.

I have two routers of this series: an RT-N12B1 and an RT-N12D1. The D1 correctly works with OpenWRT. However, there aren't any WiFi drivers yet, so I reverted it to the stock firmware.

Now I am looking to try OpenWRT on the B1. Here's that model's wiki page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n12b1. My questions are 1) Which image should I download? and 2) Will I be able to get WiFi working with it?

Thanks!

The discussion might have continued from here.