OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Howto: WiFi client bridge for Atheros, possibly others

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

FWIW, I put together a quick howto for patching OpenWRT 8.09 to use ARPNAT, allowing it to act as a WiFi client bridge for wired devices.

http://projectgus.com/wireless-client-b … h-openwrt/

The patch originally comes from the Gargoyle router project.

So far I've used it successfully on a Fonera and an Asus WL-500gP. I've taken a few performance measurements, and while there is a performance cost from doing this it doesn't seem excessive (I haven't taken the time to compare it with using WDS or IP routing, only with directly accessing to the router.)

IMHO, this is a very easy way to join several wired segments into one large single network, if the wireless devices aren't all happy speaking WDS (or if you don't want to lose half your wireless bandwidth between nodes.)

The only hassles I've had are related to DHCP, and are described in the blog post.

Hth. I also hope the OpenWRT devs consider formalising ARPNAT support (even if only as a config option) in the future. Patches submitted in the past have been rejected outright, claiming performance problems.

(Last edited by projectgus on 25 Mar 2010, 10:00)

I'm running a WRT610N wired to 4 devices (desktop Win Ult 64, XP Home, NetGear 8-port) my ASUS K52F Wifi cannot connect.  Unable to establish wifi connection.  Wired connection is ok.  Is router overloaded?

I don't know why you posted here, because this has nothing to do with client bridging. Are you running OpenWRT on the WRT610N?

My guess is an encryption problem, between different hardware/driver WPA combinations. Try turning off encryption on the WRT610N, then if everything works try turning it back on, or trying different types of WPA (psk and/or psk2, on the OpenWRT side.)

If this doesn't work, please post a new thread in the General Discussion forum (make sure you include the version of OpenWRT that you are running.)

a good news.

rockin!  I've got a multi-vif client/ap setup right now, gonna try to get arpnat working for this following your recipe.

Right now my topology is:

ADSL <=> AP1 (x86) <=nat=> AP2 (mips) <=nat=> some clients

so multi-tier nat kinda borks upnp and broadcast discovery.  Thanks for the pointers to arpnat.

Pat

PatErley wrote:

Right now my topology is:

ADSL <=> AP1 (x86) <=nat=> AP2 (mips) <=nat=> some clients

so multi-tier nat kinda borks upnp and broadcast discovery.  Thanks for the pointers to arpnat.

Pat

Why would you use double NAT, which is absolutely insane!
Just put the "some client" in different subnet and configure the routing and firewall rules, so that the clients connecting to AP1 cannot access those behind AP2.

(Last edited by grogi on 14 Apr 2010, 14:41)

Thankyou for ur time in making the guide very brilliant and simple
nice job

Thanks for the guide! Appeared to be much of help for  me.

(Last edited by podo on 22 Jun 2012, 10:10)

The discussion might have continued from here.