OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Frys FR-300RTR 2.4GHz b/g/n

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a Fry's FR-300RTR  (only $30!) which seems to be a repackaged dlink DIR-615 rev E1

the full FCC links are at:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/rep … edFromFram
e=N&application_id=905231&fcc_id=%27KA2IR615E1%27

the chips are
Athros ar7240-ah1e 400MHz??
ar9283-al1a 2.4GHz b/g/n
25l3205dmi1?g 4M flash?
w9425g6eh-5h 256M ram?

firmware (including linux 2.6.15 source code) is at  http://frysnetworksupport.com/Product/V … =FR-300RTR

the board has a 14 pin header and a 4 pin header on it (unpopulated)

It supports the hold-reset-30-seconds emergency firmware patch mode, I attempted to load penwrt-atheros-root.squashfs   via this method, but the upload went )very_ slowly (multiple days to upload) and the upload got interrupted after 3 days. the resulting system boots and gets an IP via DHCP,  on the outside but has no open ports according to nmap

I have a second one, but before I try flashing something onto it, I would like to get some advice on what I can do to best make sure that this works (recovering the first device is a second step, but I assume that I will have to get/make a jtag cable first)

I have been using linux for about 15years (since the 0.99 kernell) and it's been my desktop for 12 years, so I am very comfortable with linux administration, but this is the first device I've attempted to load openwrt on.

I do not yet have a serial adapter I can use to connect to this, I will look at ordering one over the weekend.

(Last edited by dlang on 30 Jan 2010, 03:53)

When you said Fry's, did you mean the Fry's Electronics? If so, do you have the SKU# of this product? I sure would like to take a look at this product from a local Fry's Electronics store. Thanks.

mazilo wrote:

When you said Fry's, did you mean the Fry's Electronics? If so, do you have the SKU# of this product? I sure would like to take a look at this product from a local Fry's Electronics store. Thanks.

yes, , that Fry's.

sku# 5978974

correction to my inital message, it is not 5GHz, so just b/g/n, I will edit that message, but wanted to point this out in case anyone was going by that. sorry for the mistake

Thanks for your quick response. If it has a USB2 port, that is not a bad deal at all (considering it has a 32MB RAM).

is that only 32MB of ram? I thought I saw that part number being described as 256MB of ram in the specs for other routers.

w9425g6eh-5h is 256Mb(it) and not 256MB(yte) chip. 256Mb = 32MB.

ping

any other thoughts on what build should run on this?

Mmh, the sources seem to be incomplete. The u-boot loader package is missing all atheros drivers, which are referenced as binaries in the makefiles, but not supplied (neither in binary nor in source form).

This looks like a clear GPL violation to me.

Apart from that, I think an ar71xx build should run on this, but I would not test it without having a serial connection.

that surprises me a little bit, I actually saw a document of how to do the build (starting with 'install this on Fedora 3' unfortunantly)

I will give the image at downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-vmlinux.bin a try tonight.

(Last edited by dlang on 5 Feb 2010, 18:12)

dlang wrote:

that surprises me a little bit, I actually saw a document of how to do the build (starting with 'install this on Fedora 3' unfortunantly)

As far as I see, this document discribes only how to build the (linux) image, but not how to build the bootloader u-boot. While the image should build, I seriously doubt that the u-boot would build (and even if it builds, that the resulting binary is equal to the u-boot on the router itself).

when I try to upload the .bin file the router responds that it's not a valid firmware file

Hi.  First of all, to introduce myself as a noob would be to overstate my lack of qualifications to a degree hitherto unknown by mankind.  However, I did spend a few days reading many threads on this forum before I decided to post.  I just wanted to say that I have the same hardware as dlang and have tried the same steps he has taken with the same results.  Am I right in thinking that there simply is no build for the FR-300RTR nor for its D-Link clone at this time?

more likely it means that there is a slight tweak we need to do to make the build install though the normal interface, and we just haven't had someone who knows what they are doing get their hands on one  of these yet.

I tried flashing via tftp just in case that would make a difference.  Seems like it did not.  tftp reported a successful transfer, but all that seems to have happened is a reset to the factory firmware (along with default IP, finding which was a fun puzzle for a few minutes).  By the way, I did follow the instructions on the wiki to the letter, including the 30-30-30 reset before and after the (attempted) flash.  I'm not sure if this information might help shed any light on the issue, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to share what I tried with the community.

(Last edited by brock on 9 Feb 2010, 04:12)

to flash via tftp, did you get the serial console working? of so what is the pinout and terminal settings that you came up with?

dlang wrote:

to flash via tftp, did you get the serial console working? of so what is the pinout and terminal settings that you came up with?

No, I just used an ethernet cable from my computer's NIC to a LAN port on the router.  I used windows tftp from the command line, following the instructions on the wiki to continuously ping, 30-30-30 reset, then flash as soon as the pings started coming back.  I haven't opened the case yet as I plan to recover my $30 if I can't get it to accept new firmware.

Isnt there a easier way i thought i could flash it via the normal interface..Cant the binary be modified so it will take it via the standard's frys.com web interface or is that not possible.
I thought i read somewhere about people doing that to get other router's to take the binaries.
I tried openwrt_r15686_ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni this is the right image ?.
i am using the latest REV E version of the frys.com dir-615.
Thanks
I willing to pay someone to figure out how to get this to work easily if someone is available.

I would also be willing to pay for this. given the low price of the device, would it be easier to send money and have the device purchased locally rather than paying to have it shipped?

dlang wrote:

..., would it be easier to send money and have the device purchased locally rather than paying to have it shipped?

Why send money? If you have a local Fry's Electronics store near by, you can either purchase the router online and/or in store. If you purchase online, do an option to pick up from a local store near by.

I have a Fry's FR-300RTR

I originally installed DD-WRT on the router.  Then realizing how much I liked OpenWRT.  The switch had to be made.

I have been searching all night and have found very little here on what I intend to do, but nothing about the latest OpenWRT firmware. Quite a few people are saying that DDWRT is irreversible...  So here is an updated little walk through.

The FR-300RTR is the same (as been said) as the DLink DIR 615.  HOWEVER!

You will need to download the 10.03.1 OpenWRT firmware for the 'Dlink DIR 600 A1'.  The LEDs for Ethernet DO NOT WORK.  The ports themselves work just fine, but the LEDs do not blink or turn on for the Ethernet ports.  Other lights seem to work properly.

So I am installing OpenWRT 10.03.1 onto an FR-300RTR with DD-WRT sp2 (latest as of 2011) installed

THIS IS NOT A "FOR DUMMIES" WALK THROUGH

YOUR ROUTER WILL NEED INTERNET ACCESS!

Here it is.

1.)  Enable telnet or ssh access within your router
2.)  Login to the router via telnet or ssh (When logging in, use "root" as the user.  Your password will be whatever your password is to access your router. If you do not have a password to access your router you need to create one.)
3.)  We need to get to the "/tmp" folder.  I typed "cd .." then "cd tmp"
4.)  Now we need to download the OpenWRT 10.03.1 firmware.  Type

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-dir-600-a1-squashfs-factory.bin

5.)  Now we need to write the firmware to the router.  Type

mtd write openwrt-ar71xx-dir-600-a1-squashfs-factory.bin linux

6.)  Once the file finishes installing, Type "reboot"

As long as you can access your router via telnet or ssh, you should be able to update firmware.

The discussion might have continued from here.