OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: asus wl500gp all leds on - how to fix power supply

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Be carefull - in the device its high voltage - I don't take any responsibility when you kill yourself, your dog or your mom - the post is only for information that it is possible to fix it cheaper than 1$ 
When disconnecting the supply wait one hour to discharge all capacitors before open the case
And don't connect the device to the electric socket with open case - and when closing the case use a electrical tape or glue it together

Reading through the forum I see its a common problem that the power supply breaks
You can buy a new one of fix the existing one - its simple
The hardest part is to open the case because its glued - but with a knife or screwdriver inserted on the shorter side (where the cable goes out) and use it as a lever its not that hard
when you crack open the shorter side then insert  it in the middle of one of the longer two and do similar thing

http://kosmetyka.tk/rear.jpeg
normally there is one capacitor 1200u 10V soldered to the two pins in red circle - you must look at the polarity - on new capacitors the longer pin is positive (and negative is marked with a white strip on the case)

I've marked with black lines free pins where you can solder the capacitor - depending on the size
I have put two capacitors 1000u (bigger is better) 10V and one 10n from the other side (its unnecessary but I had one - its value is not critical - should be between 10 -100 n but it should help to reduce the impedance of the big capacitors)
from the other side it should look like this but normally there is a bigger one in the middle
http://kosmetyka.tk/front.jpeg
have fun

Unless you're extremely comfortable with power electronics and have a spare cap lying around and just can't help yourself: don't. Switching Power Supplies are pure evil and will blow up in your face if you do something wrong. Do yourself a favor and just get a replacement power brick somewhere off the net, they're only about 5 Euros/Dollars anyway.

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience, and with a 15 years+ background in electronics.

The discussion might have continued from here.