OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP Link WR1043ND 11n gigabit router

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Jul 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

diizzy wrote:

1. Yes (you'll need a small swap partition in most cases)
2. About 4-5Mbyte/s
//Danne

Thx smile

I think the best solution for the swap partition would be a fast USB Stick. Or an 64MB RAM upgrade. wink  4-5 Mbyte/s is ok for my application. The Performance/Watt ratio is nearly perfekt with this router. I use the wrt160nl (same Reference Hardware by Atheros) and i measure a power consumption of 4.5W/h.

(Last edited by CrazyChris on 6 May 2010, 10:47)

rdmitry wrote:
mgiammarco wrote:
rdmitry wrote:

Hi, mgiammarco, How did you configure your routers? I can't get them see each other over 802.11s.

First bad news: I stopped trying 802.11s it does not work for me. I was able to use accesspoint(wds) and client(wds). But I was not able to connect a wrt54gl wds two my two tplinks so I stopped all my tests and I now run standard access point and standard client mode.

I have installed ath9k and wpad packages.

Hi mgiammarco, as far as I understand, you were able to get 2 1043NDs connected over encrypted 802.11s. And the speed of the connection was 44Mb/s. Could you, please, post the content of /etc/config/wireless and /etc/config/network files as I'm unable to get the routers connected over 802.11s

Please read above: I was NOT able to use 802.11s! I failed too. Sorry.

Have any of you experience with another web server + php5 on backfire? I tried lighttpd and php5 cgi/fastcgi but without success. I am using great shibby builds (now backfire) with usb external flash disk.  thanks for any help

Anybody use shibby's firmware? Installed plowshare but not working... sad
How to download from rapidshare premium under OpenWrT???

root@OpenWrt:~# plowdown
/usr/bin/lib.sh: line 250: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
Usage: plowdown [OPTIONS] [MODULE_OPTIONS] URL|FILE [URL|FILE ...]

sagemol wrote:

I'm new to openwrt, tried DD-WRT before, but not very flexible stuff,
so i decided to give shibbys image a try.
Works fine so far except one thing we really NEED:

Looking for a utility to put one port of the switch to 10MBit/Fullduplex fixed with autonegotiation disabled.
This should possibly work through rtl8366-smi but how ?

No ideas ?

Regards
Ralph

pavlis42 wrote:

Have any of you experience with another web server + php5 on backfire? I tried lighttpd and php5 cgi/fastcgi but without success. I am using great shibby builds (now backfire) with usb external flash disk.  thanks for any help

so i moved forward, now the php5-cgi seems to be working, but i dont know how to add DOM/XML support into php5.
It seems that it could be the dynamic library dom.so, but i dont know in which package this library is included to can be loaded by php. Do you what packages have to be installed? or DOMDoc is not supported in openwrt now?
thx for help

CrazyChris wrote:

Has somebody some experiences with samba and a USB drive? What throughput can i expect? Is the small ram the bottleneck? So many questions. smile

I want to use a WR1043ND as a NAS and MPD server. (WAN and wireless is disabled)

It's not great I'm afraid. I was using a 750GB USB drive partitioned using ext3 and the fastest I could copy data on or off it (via Gigabit ethernet) was around 5 megabytes per second. It also seemed to freeze every now and again and even rebooted itself a couple of times while I was dumping stuff onto it.

It is possible it was due to being formatted ext3 though as plugging the drive back into my pc and copying from one partition to another still only gave me 5 megabytes per second, but after changing the partition type back to NTFS I was able to get around 30 megabytes per second.

I've been meaning to try it plugged in the router formatted as FAT32 and see how that goes but haven't had chance yet.

Hope this helps,
Keith

hello - i just received my TL-WR1043ND ... On the back of the router stands its a version 1.5 - does this version also works with openwrt?

try it and let us know smile

rymn wrote:

hello - i just received my TL-WR1043ND ... On the back of the router stands its a version 1.5 - does this version also works with openwrt?

I've got a 1.5 board as well and its running DD-WRT. So it should run Open-WRT as well.

seems to work:

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Atheros AR9132 rev 2
machine                 : TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS                : 266.24
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 16
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0000, 0x0f60, 0x0758, 0x0380]
ASEs implemented        : mips16
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

i want to use a usb stick as package-store. what image should i use? it seems that the function "block-extboot" must be compiled in the kernel. (what does block-extboot do? i dont want to boot from usb i just want to use some space from usb for packages)

the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd?s[]=wr1043nd) says "Use the latest Build from: http://openwrt.groov.pl/WR1043NDv1/" but this image seems not to work good:

I reverted to the OpenWrt Image after having upgraded to the above image, because of a few problems I started to experience: midnight commander would segfault, and the router reboot file wouldn't work (return "Killed" or froze the router) openvpn, as client, would connect to server, but not send any packets through the tunnel These problems weren't observed with the openwrt image, therefore I am a bit wary of the above image now.

what should i do?

(Last edited by rymn on 20 May 2010, 21:11)

rymn wrote:

i want to use a usb stick as package-store. what image should i use? it seems that the function "block-extboot" must be compiled in the kernel. (what does block-extboot do? i dont want to boot from usb i just want to use some space from usb for packages)

the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd?s[]=wr1043nd) says "Use the latest Build from: http://openwrt.groov.pl/WR1043NDv1/" but this image seems not to work good:

I reverted to the OpenWrt Image after having upgraded to the above image, because of a few problems I started to experience: midnight commander would segfault, and the router reboot file wouldn't work (return "Killed" or froze the router) openvpn, as client, would connect to server, but not send any packets through the tunnel These problems weren't observed with the openwrt image, therefore I am a bit wary of the above image now.

what should i do?

The latest Backfire SVN revision is working well for me (built from svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire).  Trunk should work well also.  If you don't want to build your own, you can use a trunk snapshot (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin) and then add all required packages via opkg... but I suggest you build your own image if you have a Linux box.

LinkZ - thanks for your answer. Actually i have the latest stable release on my TP-Link (Backfire). What i do not understand: 1) Is it possible to extend the flash memory with an ext2-usb stick in order to have more space for packages 2) what packages do i need to install

with the original firmware i tryed to copy from an usb-stick over gbit to my laptop. i did not get more then 5 to 7 MB/s (usb->tp->Laptop). the usb-stick connected to my laptop works much faster >> 15 MB/s from usb to laptop. Is the poor usb-performance a limitation from the hardware or is it a firmware issue? Is the WNDR3700 faster?

another question: the wiki says, that the TP-Link has 400Mhz - cat /proc/cpuinfo says "BogoMIPS                : 266.24" This is somewat arround 260 MhZ - Does TP-Link build in the 1.5 revision a smaller cpu??

BogoMIPS is not frequency of CPU!

connect serial cable, then you will see real MHz of CPU smile

look - i have asus rt-n16 with CPU 533MHz

[root@groov /]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Broadcom BCM4716 chip rev 1 pkg 10
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 74K V4.0
BogoMIPS                : 238.59
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 64
extra interrupt vector  : no
hardware watchpoint     : yes
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp
shadow register sets    : 1
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

smile

(Last edited by shibby on 21 May 2010, 10:42)

mine is v 1.1 and i too get

BogoMIPS                : 266.24

rymn wrote:

LinkZ - thanks for your answer. Actually i have the latest stable release on my TP-Link (Backfire). What i do not understand: 1) Is it possible to extend the flash memory with an ext2-usb stick in order to have more space for packages 2) what packages do i need to install

with the original firmware i tryed to copy from an usb-stick over gbit to my laptop. i did not get more then 5 to 7 MB/s (usb->tp->Laptop). the usb-stick connected to my laptop works much faster >> 15 MB/s from usb to laptop. Is the poor usb-performance a limitation from the hardware or is it a firmware issue? Is the WNDR3700 faster?

1) Yes, you can use a USB device to extend the storage capacity.

2) Follow this wiki:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/usbstoragehowto

It works for me, but I haven't tested the speeds... so I don't know if there is any hardware or software performance limitation.

Ok .. i just tested an usb-stick (kingston 2 GB ... a little old). but i get 20 MB/s in read. i think this is also the maxium speed of the stick.:

root@OpenWrt:~# time dd if=/home/test.bin2  of=/dev/null
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
real    0m 26.69s
user    0m 1.05s
sys     0m 8.87s
root@OpenWrt:~# ls -lh /home/
/home/lost+found/  /home/test.bin2
root@OpenWrt:~# ls -lh /home/test.bin2
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       512.0M May 21 18:32 /home/test.bin2
root@OpenWrt:~#

Over Samba i get write 5 to 6 and read arround 10 MB/s ... cpuload of smbd is arround 65% while coyping  (usb<->tplink(gbitport)<->laptop).

I think, these are good results for samba file transfer.

ftp is also good: (13 MB/s read - keep in mind: its an old usb-stick)

ftp> get test.bin
local: test.bin remote: test.bin
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for test.bin (536870912 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
536870912 bytes received in 38.15 secs (13741.8 kB/s)
ftp> put test_rn.bin
local: test_rn.bin remote: test_rn.bin
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Ok to send data.
226 Transfer complete.
235929600 bytes sent in 54.79 secs (4205.2 kB/s)
ftp>

(Last edited by rymn on 21 May 2010, 19:53)

LinkZ wrote:
rymn wrote:

1) Yes, you can use a USB device to extend the storage capacity.

2) Follow this wiki:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/usbstoragehowto

It works for me, but I haven't tested the speeds... so I don't know if there is any hardware or software performance limitation.

In The Link under 2) there is not described how to extend the package space with the overlay-partition. What i want to do is, to move the overlay mountpoint from /dev/mtdblock3 to /dev/sda1

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 4.3M      4.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.4M    184.0K     14.3M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3            2.4M    232.0K      2.1M  10% /overlay
mini_fo:/overlay          4.3M      4.3M         0 100% /
/dev/sda1                 1.9G    515.4M      1.3G  28% /home

i Think, when i do this, i can install more packages. but i dont know how to get this work - in the wiki is also no hint

rymn wrote:

In The Link under 2) there is not described how to extend the package space with the overlay-partition. What i want to do is, to move the overlay mountpoint from /dev/mtdblock3 to /dev/sda1

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 4.3M      4.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.4M    184.0K     14.3M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3            2.4M    232.0K      2.1M  10% /overlay
mini_fo:/overlay          4.3M      4.3M         0 100% /
/dev/sda1                 1.9G    515.4M      1.3G  28% /home

i Think, when i do this, i can install more packages. but i dont know how to get this work - in the wiki is also no hint

Have you tried simply mounting the USB drive to overlay?

umount /overlay
mount /dev/sda1 /overlay

I have no idea if this will work.  However, you should be able to install new packages to the USB drive.  Check the section for "Installing and using OPKG packages in mount point other than root" in the above wiki:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/usbstor … .than.root

Hello,

it now works nearly fine for me with the latest image from shibby.
but i have a few questions, to solve:

NF_CONNTRACK_FTP
i have one problem. i need the module NF_CONNTRACK_FTP in order to get passive ftp working.
but i cannot find this module - which package do i have to install inorder to get this working? (actually iam using shibby's image)

NSLU2 Packages
i also wanted to install sabnzbd (its a news download client) from http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable/

an opkg list| grep sabn gives me:

* pkg_hash_add_from_file: Package sabnzbdplus version 0.5.0-1 has no valid architecture, ignoring.

but the package was build for mips - why does it not works with the tp-link, that is also a mips achitecture?

Hardware
is it possible to use the QSS-Button on the front of the router for own actions (such as enable/disable wlan)? this would be very nice ....
and can i attach a 2,5" laptop harddisk and an usb stick connected over an passive usb-hub to the tp-link without extra power-suply?

(Last edited by rymn on 22 May 2010, 08:01)

Hi,
I just bought a WR1043ND and flashed it with the latest OpenWrt trunk. The device itself works like a charm but I am not able get wireless working properly. It's not my first OpenWrt device so I am generally familiar with OpenWrt.
I set up wireless with wpa2 and I am able to connect to it, but I have terrible high packet loss. TCP data transfers between the WR1043ND and my notebook are just about 10 KB/s so not usable at all. With another 802.11n accesspoint (linksys) I can send and receive at ~8 MB/s which is quite good.
Other users who posted in this thread mentioned something about 5 MB/s which would be okay. My notebook has a Intel 5300 agn card.

Here is my /etc/config/wireless

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' '00:23:cd:18:XX:XX'
        option 'channel' '5'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        option 'ht_capab' '[SHORT-GI-40] [DSSS_CCK-40] [HT40-] [HT40+] [HT20]'
        option 'country' 'DE'
        option 'distance' '100'
        option 'txpower' '18'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'wlan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' '<My_SSID>'
        option 'encryption' 'wpa2'
        option 'server' '<RADIUS_IP>'
        option 'key' '<RADIUS_KEY>'
        option 'port' '1812'

Is there anything wrong with my configuration? Removing the last five lines of the wifi-device section has no effect either. Any hints are welcome.

regards
David

dfroe,

The only thing I can think of is try a different channel.  If you are in a congested area, another wireless network on the same channel could cause interference.  Also, I doubt it will make much difference, but I suggest setting the distance to '0' (unless you have clients connecting from a long distance).