Hello OpenWRT,

I might be in the wrong corner of the internet, but I figured this was the place - if it exists - to ask my question.

See, I'm working on a project using 2.4 GHz microwave Dopplar radar for the purpose of heartbeat detection.  The technology is feasible, and many projects exist using custom hardware.  There are other projects which use modified PC Lan cards, and other hardware.  We'd like to do this without performing a hardware modification on a consumer level wireless networking product.

Is it possible to get raw signal from a consumer level bluetooth/802.11g chip using custom firmware?  More likely than not, a custom firmware will be locked to a certain brand and model wireless chipset.  This is also something I would like to avoid.  In this case, is it possible to get a raw signal using a custom driver?

What I don't need is information about other devices and internet connections.  I need to send out a ping, have it reflect off of a surface with varying intensity, and receive it on the same hardware.  I need the incoming raw signal - not data packets or anything specific about networks.

I don't need exact specifics on how to do these things...  Just advice on where I could look to enable this functionality, and if it's feasible without hardware modification.

Thanks for your time and expertise,

-Griff