Re: WRT54GX-v2 support

Good news, everyone! It seems like we've found the sources for the AirGo WLAN device. If anyone wants to donate a WRT54GX2, i'll be happy to accept it and start porting OpenWrt to it.

27 (edited by tajson 2006-03-08 19:02:06)

Can we donate via paypal with a comment that our donation is dedicated for whatever we wish to support? I would like to donate a part of what a WRT54GX2/WRT54GX4 costs. It would be great if there is a status in the wiki for donations. Like, "Donated: $30, Required: $65"-status for each item.

I couldn't find a paypal account in the Donations page in the wiki. Is there one?

I successfully build an image using sources pointed by Magendanz (but I must warn - I am very new to all this stuff...). And the image even works, but before compilation you have to make some steps, otherwise, the www interface will be corrupted. I also was able to add uClibc++ support. If it is interesting for someone I can try to describe it a bit. But what have to be done in order to have for example iwconfig to work with the wireless driver? Adding options to kernel (to support wireless extensions) is not enough. Any ideas? And another question, is there any possibility to connect to this router (WRT54GX v2) for example using serial port?

Sebastian.

any chances to see openwrt for GX v2 soon?

It'll take a while (quite a bit of work), but I'm getting some test hardware soon...

Woohoo, now that is good news indeed! Keep us posted, and if you need any beta testing done, I for one will be happy to be of service smile

Regards,
Mihnea

me 2 ! smile

Please also count me in.

By the way, what uClinux toolchain are you using?

I don't want to use uClinux (even though the stock firmware uses it), because this thing does have an MMU, so it should be quite capable of running regular Linux.
I will patch the standard OpenWrt toolchain so that it doesn't generate the mips-patented instructions that have been left out of the processor core.

From a newbie

I’m interested in a best guess for a WRT54GXv2 firmware release that would include wireless client mode (bridge) functionality - weeks/months – I know it can be a tonne of work/research.

Do you already know the procedure to flash these devices with a non standard firmware?  I have tried to access mine via tftp on startup and it doesn't seem to work.

I have a WRT54GXv1 ... if you get the WRT54GXv2 to work, would it also work on the v1?

v1 is completely different...

From a newbie

This guy has Talisman 1.1 on WRT54GXv1 apparently
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=3482

As for WRT54GXv2 I have a few specific questions
- Does is have TFTP support?
- What’s the biggest development challenge for a standard Linux firmware

If it will be months before we see any sort of workable release I’d like to have more of a active role. So any links to developers for beginners (VB experience and C++ already) along the lines of this project would be appreciated. But if the development team is confident they will have something in weeks (IE End of April 2006) then great!

I haven't even received the router yet, so I don't know much about it, and I can't make any prediction about the timeframe.
This will be a new port of openwrt for RTL8651B boards, for which there's no support in current OpenWrt svn. That means lots of kernel hacking first and then we can think about the amount of work necessary to integrate it properly...

Well I for one am going to hold my breath for this event!
..............................baaaaaaah.......................Starting from.................NOW!....................................................................Pheeeew!.................................I mean....................NOW!...................

I would be happy to help beta test this!  I wish I could do more!

WRT54GX v2

I noticed that the 2.00.15 stock firmware is now available.  Here's the change log:

Ver #.        Date        Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00.15        March 17, 2006    1. Fixed @home issue in Europe
                2. Modified security option with NAT redirection option.
                3. Fixed PAP2 connection issue
                4. Fixed PPPoE reconnection with Belgacom issue.
                5. Modified the help files.
                6. Fixed some web interface incompatiblity with MACs using Safari.
                7. Fixed issue with some voice capable devices.
                8. Fixed Access restrictions using TCP and UDP at the same time.

2.00.11        Dec 21, 2005    1. Fixed a problem with PPPoE and PPTP MSS issue.
                2. Fixed some typos in the User interface.
                3. Fixed PPTP connection type MTU size having an
                   issue with NAT.
                4. Fixed problem with DHCP Server on the LAN side.
                5. Fixed PPTP server will not work on the LAN side using port
                   forwarding or DMZ.
                6. Fixed in some cases where a 100Mbps connectivity went down
                   to 10Mbps.
                7. FIxed problem with WEP key length.
                8. Fixed user interface for the wireless security WEP key display.
                9. Fixed user interface for the LAN settings not taking into
                   effect after saving settings.
                10. Fixed setup wizard not saving the WEP key properly.
                11. Fixed DoS log not starting properly.
                12. Fixed issues using Access restrictions using MAC address or IP address
                    not working properly.
                13. Fixed Log time not saved properly.
                14. Fixed problem with some older browswer not allowing to be upgraded.
                15. Fixed status page where it shows connected, even when it is disconnected.
                16. Updated switch and wireless module library.
                17. Changed default for PPTP/PPPoE to keep alive for USA firmware.
                18. Changed the CTS protection mode to disable by default.

I installed a week ago and it doesen't bring any improovement to me neutral
Does anyone know what NAT redirection option is? What does it do? Thanks!

45 (edited by motocrossmann 2006-04-03 20:20:18)

asterixmic wrote:

I installed a week ago and it doesen't bring any improovement to me neutral
Does anyone know what NAT redirection option is? What does it do? Thanks!

From what I gather, it is a firewall option that will block an internet request made internally from being redirect back internally.

For example, let's say you setup DDNS for your home network.  Then, from the home network, you try to access your site thru DDNS.  That setting will block access using this method.

46 (edited by Magendanz 2006-04-04 02:44:14)

For me, the 2.00.15 firmware update fixed this peer-to-peer issue, which was causing me to have to reset the router several times daily.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special … GS_routers

for me it did only after I changed to static IP on WAN (the provider offers me address through DHCP but it actually never changes)
I don't know if the same thing would ahve happened on a previous version of firmware

for me I don't give a rats bum about what firmware linksys have released 'cause apparently I'm here because I'm interested in OpenWrt.....   Belkin and Linksys can write as many pseudo firmwares as they like, but seriously, what is the point of discussing them here?

nbd wrote:

I will patch the standard OpenWrt toolchain so that it doesn't generate the mips-patented instructions that have been left out of the processor core.

Could you elaborate on how you intend to do this?

I haven't checked out the OpenWRT toolchain yet as I don't have a compatible router. What I do have is an 8186 based AP/router and a desire to hack it. After spending a few days toying with Buildroot, googling has produced references to the nonmips and 8181 projects along with a gcc-3.3.3 patch. Kernels 2.4.18 and 2.4.27 seem to have been the targets in the past.

I'm looking for info. Any is appreciated and I'd be glad to help down the road.

BinaryPC, what does that have to do with OpenWRT supporting WRT54GX's?   You should start a new topic if you are looking for tech support.