OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT543g3

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi.

Im total newbie to all this and i would like to know how or if its possible to make
this unit work with all kind of sim-cards. I have read that this model only works with Vodafone sim-cards, but
i dont have Vodafone sim-cards. Please can someone lead me in right direction.

//Bo

Have you flashed OpenWRT? The factory firmware may have the SIM limitation but OpenWRT surely will not.

aport wrote:

Have you flashed OpenWRT? The factory firmware may have the SIM limitation but OpenWRT surely will not.

It's more complex than that.

The factory firmware for many of the G3G's is specific to a carrier; it is designed for minimum trouble for an average consumer to jam an aircard of their preferred sort in and have it work.  Putting OpenWRT on the device fixes that.  However, there are also questions about the aircard compatibility, whether or not the aircard is SIM-locked to a given carrier, etc.

For example, I recently acquired a G3G-ST (the Sprint variant) and put OpenWRT on it.  I couldn't get the T-Mobile aircard to work with it, so I tried an Option GT Max, which was extremely flaky, and ended up using an AT&T Sierra Wireless 881, which works flawlessly.  So I've got a Sprint branded router with an AT&T branded card in it using a T-Mobile SIM and data service.

The AT&T branded aircard was specifically listed as having been unlocked; I have no clue if these are normally locked by AT&T.

This is probably not a task for a beginner.  If you're familiar with UNIX, and you're slow and methodical, and willing to go through some frustration to get through it all, it's certainly doable.  It may involve making some changes to support your specific aircard, and changes to networking, scripting, etc.

In my case, I'm not convinced that it would have been impossible to make the other aircards work, it was simply a more prudent solution (read: time is expensive, cards are cheap) to find a card that worked right out of the box.

... JG

jgreco wrote:
aport wrote:

It's more complex than that.

The factory firmware for many of the G3G's is specific to a carrier; it is designed for minimum trouble for an average consumer to jam an aircard of their preferred sort in and have it work.  Putting OpenWRT on the device fixes that.  However, there are also questions about the aircard compatibility, whether or not the aircard is SIM-locked to a given carrier, etc.

For example, I recently acquired a G3G-ST (the Sprint variant) and put OpenWRT on it.  I couldn't get the T-Mobile aircard to work with it, so I tried an Option GT Max, which was extremely flaky, and ended up using an AT&T Sierra Wireless 881, which works flawlessly.  So I've got a Sprint branded router with an AT&T branded card in it using a T-Mobile SIM and data service.

The AT&T branded aircard was specifically listed as having been unlocked; I have no clue if these are normally locked by AT&T.

This is probably not a task for a beginner.  If you're familiar with UNIX, and you're slow and methodical, and willing to go through some frustration to get through it all, it's certainly doable.  It may involve making some changes to support your specific aircard, and changes to networking, scripting, etc.

In my case, I'm not convinced that it would have been impossible to make the other aircards work, it was simply a more prudent solution (read: time is expensive, cards are cheap) to find a card that worked right out of the box.

... JG

I've been able to use the Mercury (Sierra 881) with a wide variety of SIMs as well. Which T-Mobile card was it by the way? Huawei UMG181? I've had success with that modem by using the option subserial driver.

(Last edited by aport on 11 Sep 2009, 21:49)

The discussion might have continued from here.