OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Serial Console garbled

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I wasn't getting any replies under general discussion (whiterussian), so i thought i'd re-post it here:

I am getting garbled text on my serial console, with only partially readable blocks of text.  I am wondering if it's because i might have yanked the cable out while it was connected damaging the serial port or some other reason.  Originally, I had been able to use this USB tty connector but now it doesn't seem to work properly without getting intermittent garbage text. 

I thought since i've been trying to get this a program I've been working on to send text over the serial port i've been trying different set ups and I had thought that maybe it was the settings that I had wrong, so I decided to go with a clean install of whiterussian and i still can't read the serial console on /dev/tty/0 without getting internmittent garbled text.

I've also tried different port speeds and flow control but it doesn't seem to work.  As i understand it, it should work with the following settings:
speed - 115200
data bits - 8
stop bits - 1
parity - none
flow control - none

The router i am using is a wrt54gl v1.1

I've also tested out the usb tty chip to check and see if maybe there was problems there, but it I am able to use it without any problems to upload programs to my arduino.

original post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=21340

Those are correct serial settings.  Check your solder connections.  Possibly your wires are too long leading to weakened signal and occasional garbage?

Occasional garbage text is usually a result of a bad cable / intermittent connections.

(Last edited by aport on 26 Aug 2009, 19:17)

Noise pickup.
Route your cable away from know noise sources: Input regulator, radio output.
Shield your cable if not possible to avoid noise sources.

The discussion might have continued from here.