OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 3G / EVDO AT&T or Verizon USB support

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Has anyone had any luck getting a USB 3G modem working on a Ubiquiti RouterStation? I have most of it working now but get an error "Cannot load PIN number" .  Could anyone tell me how to tell which tty port the usb modem is using, I could test some AT commands maybe? Obviously I am a novice at openwrt, I have managed to get two 5.8GHZ and one 2.4GHZ radios working and loaded X-wrt. Any help to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Which USB modem is it?

Usually the port is /dev/ttyUSB0

I assume you're using comgt? Can you post your /etc/config/network uci configuration?

Thanks.

Thanks for the Reply and help.
1) It does seem to be on port dev/ttyUSB0 "I tried to use minicom to talk to it and it at least finds it but locks up initializing"

2) Yes I'm using comgt, and I have connected a flash drive to the USB port and used Samba and it works great.

3)The modem type is a Option Globetrotter Icon322 using AT&T 3G

4)
config 'interface' 'loopback'
    option 'ifname' 'lo'
    option 'proto' 'static'
    option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
    option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
    option 'ifname' 'eth0 eth1'
    option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
    option 'dns' '192.168.1.254'
    option 'gateway' '192.168.1.254'
    option 'macaddr' ''
    option 'type' 'bridge'
    option 'proto' 'static'
    option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.20'
    option 'ip6addr' '192.168.1.20'
    option 'ip6gw' '192.168.1.254'

WAN configuration
config 'interface' 'wan'   
        option 'ifname' 'ppp0'
        option 'device' '/dev/ttyUSB0
        option 'proto' '3g'
        option 'macaddr' ''
        option 'peerdns' 0           
        option 'pincode' ''
        option 'service' 'umts_only'
        option 'country' 'us'   
        option 'apn' 'i2gold'
        option 'username' ''
        option 'password' ''
        option 'vpi' ''                           
        option 'vci' ''   
        option 'mtu' ''     
        option 'keepalive' ''
        option 'defaultroute' '1'
        option 'ppp_redial' 'persist'
        option 'ipaddr' ''
        option 'ip6addr' ''   
        option 'netmask' ''             
        option 'gateway' ''
        option 'ip6gw' '' 

Anything else I can provide just let me know, Thanks for the help so far.

(Last edited by TJohnston on 9 Jul 2009, 23:35)

Hi,
The Option Icon 322 requires the HSO driver which will result in the device enumerating /dev/ttyHS0 and /dev/ttyHS1. The HSO driver comes packaged with an hso_connect.sh script that will connect the device, though it needs to be modified for the Quicksilver because Option apparently can't adhere to their own standards. The interface will be hso0 instead of ppp0.

Which kernel are you on? Later kernels include the HSO driver, but if the device is enumerating /dev/ttyUSB0 I would think that you don't have the driver.

PHARscape has a good entry on the AT&T Quicksilver (Option Icon 322): http://www.pharscape.org/Quicksilver.html

In my experience the Quicksilver is a shoddy device. It fails during the connection process more than it succeeds. It's a POS card and AT&T is retarded for selling it so aggressively.

(Last edited by aport on 10 Jul 2009, 18:09)

Thanks for the information. I agree that the Option is a POS. I have just received a Pantech USB modem from Verizon, that I will be trying today. I think I will be leaning heavily toward VZ as they have promised me a pre release 4G card to test with in two weeks. I will be reading your links and trying your suggestions today. BTW my release version is  2.6.28.9  .

Again thanks for your input.

OK, I've put the Option 322 aside for now. I have gone on to the Pantech UM175 USB from Verizon. I have it installed, minicom communicates AT commands, pppd setup and connecting from the command line. The problem is all I get is a private range ip address when connected. (10.64.64.64)  I know this has to be a simple one that someone may know how to resolve.

Thanks
T

TJohnston wrote:

OK, I've put the Option 322 aside for now. I have gone on to the Pantech UM175 USB from Verizon. I have it installed, minicom communicates AT commands, pppd setup and connecting from the command line. The problem is all I get is a private range ip address when connected. (10.64.64.64)  I know this has to be a simple one that someone may know how to resolve.

Thanks
T

From what I've seen with AT&T cards it's very common for the card to not detect the default gateway, so it falls back on 10.64.64.64.

I haven't found this to affect connectivity or functionality at all.

Sometimes it pulls down DNS servers that are phony too, eg, 11.12.13.14

I got around this by just using OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

edit: I see that you're on Verizon. Sorry my misunderstanding. The IP address the card gets assigned is 10.64.64.64? That doesn't sound very good at all. Are you sure that 10.64.64.64 is the local IP address of the ppp0 interface and not the remote IP address?

(Last edited by aport on 14 Jul 2009, 00:07)

TJohnston wrote:

Thanks
T

Did you get around this yet?  I have the UM175 on an Ubuntu PC.  It might be nice to have that on a routerstation.  Is that the best USB openwrt platform?

TJohnston wrote:

Thanks
T

Did you activate the card using the Verizon software on Windows?  That is a requirement.  Once you have activated it, it should work with Linux.  I have had to reactivate mine once in the six months or so that I've had it.

p.elsie wrote:
TJohnston wrote:

Thanks
T

Did you activate the card using the Verizon software on Windows?  That is a requirement.  Once you have activated it, it should work with Linux.  I have had to reactivate mine once in the six months or so that I've had it.

Wait.  Are you saying that after the device was activated you had to activate it again?  If so, that makes me sad.  :-(

fullstop wrote:
p.elsie wrote:
TJohnston wrote:

Thanks
T

Wait.  Are you saying that after the device was activated you had to activate it again?  If so, that makes me sad.  :-(

I'm not sure since it is not a repeatable problem.  I just know I had the problem and that is one of the things I tried in the resolution process.

The discussion might have continued from here.