OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DG834G v3 TNETW1350A Wireless issue

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello. I have changed the stock adam2 bootloader to pspboot and also installed Kamikaze (r16206). I have ethernet and PPPoA working fine. However I'm confused about what to do to get the wireless working.
Below is the output from my serial console.

acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
acx: reading README file and/or Craig's HOWTO is recommended, visit http://acx100.sf.net in case of further questions/discussion
acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur, such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
acx: running on a little-endian CPU
acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to probe...
Driver found for VLYNQ device: 00000029
acx: found TI TNETW1350-based wireless network card at vlynq0, irq:80, phymem:0x4000000, mem:0xa4000000

It seems like the chipset is detected, however I'm at a loss of what to do next.

I have checked lsmod and there is an acx module loaded however the is nothing in iwconfig or ifconfig relating to the wireless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Last edited by spiderdijon on 13 Jun 2009, 19:05)

Can't find any reference to this driver supporting the tnetw1350a, though there are posts on the driver mailing list asking if it could be supported. There hasn't been a commit to the driver source for a year so I think the chances of it getting supported in the near future are slim. I'm currently downloading all the AR7 based firmware source codes I can find looking for a linux 2.6 binary driver module, but so far all the firmwares I've found are based on 2.4 (like routertech is, which I assume is how they are able to support it).

spiderdijon wrote:

Hello. I have changed the stock adam2 bootloader to pspboot and also installed Kamikaze (r16206). I have ethernet and PPPoA working fine. However I'm confused about what to do to get the wireless working.

I don't think you will get wireless working with OpenWRT on a TNETW1350A.

You can get it working with RouterTech and its' 2.4.17 linux-kernel.
You will need to use the MTD calculator and get the MTD setup for the purpose.
You will need to change the bootcfg to boot from the right MTD pointer.
You will need to use the 'wireless environment builder' and all that to setup the environment in pspboot matching the TNETWID (which seems to involve getting it wrong once, and then fixing it)...
(ask if you'd like more details, I can provide example).

Whereas, on a DG834Gv2 with TNETW1130 (acx111) OpenWrt wireless works fine with WPA2-psk, at least with updated wireless driver (kmod-acx-mac80211) from svn(20110704).

Hi there,

I managed to get openwrt installed on a DG834Gv3 via serial console. As the original poster stated, the wireless chip is not supported.

Re: RouterTech, I see you have to change the bootloader to PSPBoot first. Can you do this without JTAG, ie. via a serial cable?

Thanks,

Amadeus

amadeus_z wrote:

Hi there,

I managed to get openwrt installed on a DG834Gv3 via serial console. As the original poster stated, the wireless chip is not supported.

Re: RouterTech, I see you have to change the bootloader to PSPBoot first. Can you do this without JTAG, ie. via a serial cable?

Thanks,

Amadeus

I would have thought so, but you are running a substantial risk of it breaking and needing JTAG to fix, of course.
Ciclamab with xilinx cable to parallel port  http://ciclamab.altervista.org/  seems to be what works.  I made the nice buffered cable but that wouldn't work!

Since you have OpenWRT going already (good!), you can look at the partition map in the 'dmesg | less'...  In my case the booted-up-linux doesn't care about the partitions in the pspboot environment, and uses its' own logic. 

Importantly these should match:-
Creating 4 MTD partitions on "physmap-flash.0":
0x000000000000-0x000000010000 : "loader"
0x000000010000-0x000000020000 : "config"
If they do, you should be able to upload 128kb of PSPBOOT (dd if=pspboot.bin of=/dev/mtdblock0) and 128kb of PSPBOOT-environment (dd if=pspboot-config.bin of=/dev/mtdblock1).  But DON'T complain too much if it all breaks!
The TROUBLE will be GETTING a good PSPBOOT image and environment suitable for DG834Gv3.  You will need to then re-set your own MAC addresses etc.
(I have it working, and access to such router...)

You will need to use RouterTech's windows-tools like the 'mtd' calculator to setup the right mtd partitions.

In any case, putting PSPBOOT 1.4.0.4 on will stand you in good stead for changing OpenWRT/RouterTech versions in future.  At some point OpenWRT had a problem such that networking wouldn't work at all with the dg834gv3 after adam2 didn't initialize ethernet at boot.  PspBoot fixed this.

To get RouterTech working you will need their 'mtd calculator' and setup the partitions correctly and the booting to boot from mtd1 or whatever-it-is (rather than mtd4 that OpenWRT uses).  With TNETW1350A wireless (DG834Gv3), you will need to use the EPROM calculator with a TNETWID of all zeroes, set all that WLAN_EPROM environment, boot again, and then and then it will complain about non-matching TNETWID, which can then be fixed, and then you will need to use the quoted TNETWID again in order to re-run the wireless-envoronment-builder and re-set the environment again, and then it should work.

However, you may be able to backup your current bootloader-environment-variables, along with all the WLAN_EPROM stuff which would probably be a very sensible thing to do, then you can just restore it and not need the wireless-environment-builder ;-).

(Last edited by SimonIremonger on 1 Sep 2011, 09:18)

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the detailed reply!

It took me a while to "organise" a serial console as my laptop is modern and therefore lacking serial or parallel ports. A USB nokia cable off eBay worked (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph … inkstation).

For JTAG it looks like I may have to buy a USB JTAG connector as building one doesn't seem as straightforward... I've found what seems to be one for only £8: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/54081.pdf

Also, I've found a tested pspboot image for this router here: http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=2797, although it's only 63.41 KB, and they only mention how to flash it via JTAG and not directly. The version seems quite old?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Amadeus

hello sorry for getting into this post

i have a linksys wag200g with exactly  the same hardware with the TNETW1350A wireless chip i have changed the bootloader from adam2 to pspboot and have sucessfully flashed routertech and running wireless...... although i wanted to install openwrt on this router as i like this firmware the best

here is this procedure i have followed

on the telnet console of my bootloader by issuing the following command

telnet 192.168.1.1 21 # turn on router and hit enter
USER adam2
PASS adam2
GETENV mtd1 0x90020090,0x900a1000
GETENV mtd4 0x90020000,0x90400000

so i changed the mtd 1 partion to the same size as the mtd 4

SETENV mtd1,0x90020000,0x90400000

after this i rebooted the router and ftpd to it

$ ftp 192.168.1.1
#login here
ftp> quote MEDIA FLSH
ftp> binary
ftp> hash
ftp> put openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin "fs mtd4"
200 Port command successful.
120 service ready in 32 seconds.
##################
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file transfer.
2752516 bytes sent in 68.5 seconds (40191 bytes/s)
ftp> quit
226 Transfer complete.

after reboot and i was greeted by the same power light blinking red continuously...... although the light stops flashing continously after some time it follow's a certain interval of flashes

i found some information from this site
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dsl-502t-genii

can u provide a .config file for image that worked on your router or can u tell me whats profile i should choose after choosing the target i chose the platform ar7 followed by the profile that said "no wifi"

here are the list of the avaialable profile under the ar7 target

Annex-a Dsl firmware
Annex-b Dsl firmware
Texas Instruments WIFI (mac80211)
No WiFi

this is from the latest backfire source (r28134)

any help is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

(Last edited by drekthar on 1 Sep 2011, 18:54)

drekthar wrote:

i have a linksys wag200g with exactly  the same hardware with the TNETW1350A wireless chip [...] routertech and running wireless. I wanted to install openwrt on this router as i like this firmware the best.

If you want to do that, fine, but you WILL NOT get wireless to work ;-).
It does work with TNETW1130/acx111 on DG834Gv2.
Use an extra WRT54G or something to get wireless in addition....

drekthar wrote:

can u provide a .config file for image that worked on your router or can u tell me whats profile i should choose after choosing the target i chose the platform ar7 followed by the profile that said "no wifi"

I have both a trunk and a backfire version, which have the 20110704 wireless patched into them.  The .config files are there for you!  Make sure to read Simon-notes.txt
http://openwrt.enyc.org.uk/openwrt/trun … 25-r27771/
http://openwrt.enyc.org.uk/openwrt/back … 30-r27838/
The trunk version seems iffy in terms of the web interface, but works usually ;-).
The backfire version with web interface not included is my favourite, I use this to do wan-router with native-ipv6 and radvd etc.

helllo simon
it's kind of ironic that you answered this post as i have posted the same topic on the routertech forums and the admin mstombs pointed to your site
and asked to use you binarys

although i have not been able to run openwrt on this router   i have tried the openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin file from both the trunk and backfire
with no successs

these are the instructions i followed

first i telnetneted to the router

on the telnet console of my bootloader by issuing the following command

telnet 192.168.1.1 21 # turn on router and hit enter
USER adam2
PASS adam2
GETENV mtd1
0x90020090,0x900a1000
GETENV mtd4
0x90020000,0x90400000

so i changed the mtd 1 partion to the same size as the mtd 4

after this i rebooted the router and ftpd to it

$ ftp 192.168.1.1
#login here
ftp> quote MEDIA FLSH
ftp> binary
ftp> hash
120 service ready in 32 seconds.
##################
2752516 bytes sent in 68.5 seconds (40191 bytes/s)
ftp> quit
226 Transfer complete.

after reboot and i was greeted by the power light blinking red continuously...... although the light stops flashing continuously after some time unlike before and follow a certain interval of flashes

any help i greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

(Last edited by drekthar on 5 Sep 2011, 11:07)

drekthar wrote:

helllo simon
although i have not been able to run openwrt on this router   i have tried the openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin file from both the trunk and backfire
with no successs
You are unlucky ;-) Dont panic.
so i changed the mtd1 partition to the same size as the mtd 4

Personally I have an environment where mtd4 points as you have set your mtd1.
In any case I would check on your bootcfg environment.

It might be trying to boot from mtd2 or something else.
I personally I have  bootcfg  set to  m:f:"mtd4"  ...

You should be able to get it to work, assuming you are using PSPboot (as that is ok with the partition layout as above).
If you are still stuck I would strongly recommend getting a 3v3 TTL serial cable working which should be quite instructive in seeing what is happening with any luck.

I use a FTDIchip TTL-232R-3V3 ...
I setup a header on the back of the DG834's with 100ohm resistors in series with the TX/RX (to avoid short-to-ground killing the pins, hopefully), so that I can just plug in the FTDI cable when desired.

--Simon

hello thanks for your reply

what is bootcfg how do i access it i have a strong felling that bootcfg is the cause could u give some information regarding this

and yes the bootloader in my router is pspbooot the router is a

linksys wag200g
4mb flash macronix
16mb ram
orginall bootloader was adam2 changed it to pspboot

thanks in advance

drekthar wrote:

hello thanks for your reply
what is bootcfg how do i access it i have a strong felling that bootcfg is the cause could u give some information regarding this

GETENV bootcfg  ... look at it ;-)

What bootcfg does is tell pspboot, which of the 'mtd' partition variables to use to choose where to boot from.  For openwrt you want to point to   m:f:"mtd4"   which causes it to boot the mtd4 which points to the complete flash space starting immediately after the bootloader-environment.

hello thanks for your quick reply

on command
GETENV bootcfg

i get

BOOTCFG m:f:"mtd1" (so yes this is the problem found it..... you where right)

although how to change the bootcfg to mtd4

i did this command

SETENV BOOTCFG m:f:"mtd4"

but i get the following error

501 SETENV command failed

sorry i feal so stupid all this time

thanks in advance

drekthar wrote:

hello thanks for your quick reply
BOOTCFG m:f:"mtd1" (so yes this is the problem found it..... you where right)

If mtd1 is set the same, that ought to work anyway...

SETENV BOOTCFG m:f:"mtd4"

drekthar wrote:

but i get the following error
501 SETENV command failed

There must be a formatting problem... maybe it doesn't like the quotes or needs something escaped with a \ or something.. I'm sorry I can't tell you at the moment as I'm not infront of it.

You will have to ask somebody else who has one at the moment...
Or try over TTL-serial-cable which will make matters simpler....
Sorry!  I'm sure you aren't far away but I can't give you a simple answer without like being infront of it.

okay scratch the last post

here's what i did right now

telnet 192.168.1.1 21
  USER adam2
  PASS adam2
  GETENV mtd1          0x90020000,0x90400000

GETENV mtd4          0x90020000,0x90400000

GETENV BOOTCFG    m:f:"mtd4"                     

ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
220 ADAM2 FTP Server ready.
Name (192.168.1.1): adam2
331 Password required for adam2.
Password: adam2
230 User adam2 successfully logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp> quote MEDIA FLSH
200 Media set to FLSH.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> hash
Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
ftp> quote SETENV HWA_0,YO:00:21:29:73:6B:18
200 SETENV command successful
ftp> quote SETENV ProductID,WAG200G
ftp> quote SETENV BOOTCFG,m:f:\"mtd4\"
local: openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin remote: fs mtd4
120 service ready in 33 seconds.
##################################............
############
3080196 bytes sent in 62.04 secs (48.5 kB/s)
ftp> quote REBOOT
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> bye
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on ADAM2.
221 Goodbye.

after reboot again there was  the same power light blinking red continuously......

now i am totally lost why can't i get it too boot.....

thanks for all the help so far
really appreciate it

ps: i used the openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin  trunk from you'r site

(Last edited by drekthar on 5 Sep 2011, 14:07)

drekthar wrote:

after reboot again there was  the same power light blinking red continuously......
now i am totally lost why can't i get it too boot.....

As I already said, what is coming out the TTL serial interface?
It may make something obvious... ;-).

--Simon

i don't have a uart cable soldered in at the moment so i cant seee the boot processs anyways i don;t know why i am not able to booot openwrt out of the box like other have in many forums and blogs by just following these commmands

i guesss i am an unlucky one

willl post back when serial cable is copmplete

To Simon

yes.....finally i succeeded in installing openwrt to this router

here is what i did

first i reset my pspbootloader enviorment

SETENV mtd0,0x900a9000,0x90400000
SETENV mtd1,0x90020090,0x900a9000
SETENV mtd2,0x90000000,0x90010000
SETENV mtd3,0x90000000,0x90010000
SETENV mtd4,0x90020000,0x90400000

after this changed mtd1 to the same as mtd4

then i flashed the image as usual by setting bootcfg to boot from mtd4

although the power light still flashes red continously is this an isuue with trunk

my most pressing question is will the wireless be fixed in openwrt any time soon or is someone still working on it why is not working........ is it possible to fix it.... is work being done to fix it

thanks for alll the help so far

(Last edited by drekthar on 6 Sep 2011, 07:58)

drekthar wrote:

To Simon
my most pressing question is will the wireless be fixed in openwrt any time soon or is someone still working on it why is not working........ is it possible to fix it.... is work being done to fix it

As I have said before, no, I doubt it will be.

You can go bug the acx100 project if you like.
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
Ver 20110704 from git (which I included in my latest 'trunk' and 'backfire' builds) works on the TNETW1130.

You could get Texas Instruments to release full specs and their driver source-code for the TNETW1350A, that would be helpful ;-).

Otherwise, Go get yourself a DG834Gv2 (which has the ACX111/TNETW1130).
Or, use something else to drive your wireless access, in addition to the ADSL-router.

Good luck ;-)

sorry too keep troubling

do you think the driver's will come any time soon as in the priority list in acx wiki site states that testing and working of the TNETW1350A wirelesss chipset 

if they have got their priority set.... then i guess it's just the matter of waiting for it.... but if the project has been abandoned and nothing is going to be done then i guess i have to change my kernel to the 2.4 again with routertech for wirelesss

(Last edited by drekthar on 6 Sep 2011, 08:18)

The discussion might have continued from here.